AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
101 - 120 of 136 Posts

·
Banned
4,969 Posts
Jeff, Universal, Paramount, Dreamworks and Dreamworks Animation are working on an escalated release schedule of catalog titles, but legal and replicating processes take some time to get through the pipeline.

Since you own a XA2 don't you agree that it is the very best up-converting SD DVD player available?

Give it a few months and we should see an increase of title releases.

Hey, what happened to the great wine recommendations?

-Robert

·
Registered
2,818 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTV TiVo Dealer /forum/post/12861497

Replaced with whine mostly ...

J/K Jeff.

I do agree that more and cheaper content is needed by the red's ... I fear it is a losing proposition however.

·
Registered
27,124 Posts

Quote:

Jeff, Universal, Paramount, Dreamworks and Dreamworks Animation are working on an escalated release schedule of catalog titles, but legal and replicating processes take some time to get through the pipeline.

Since you own a XA2 don't you agree that it is the very best up-converting SD DVD player available?

Give it a few months and we should see an increase of title releases.

-Robert

I buy on both formats, but there has been little worthy of purchase on the HD DVD side... You are right, I have an XA2 and enjoy it immensely, but I want more movies.

I have a great Pinot Noir for you you must try this small operation vineyard Ken Wright Cellars.... Oregon. Pinots are $60 - $90 from the Savoya or Elton Vineyards. They do very small runs and might be difficult to find.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts

Quote:

I hope that is the case. They need to start releasing more titles. Universal especially.

·
Registered
5,562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerdoc1 /forum/post/12857186

Yes, that is my understanding.

its got me a little excited as well.

·
Registered
432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disclord /forum/post/12860988

What is that, the Spursengine? I've never heard that term before - is it Super Resolution processing or something?

Brief nutshell to the best of my memory.

Sony sold their portion of their cell production plant to Toshiba. Toshiba has created a version called the spurs engine. It has a dedicated mpeg4 decryption engine and a seperate encryption engine. In addition, it contains 3 cells dedicated to video production. It uses less expensive material and only runs at 1.5 ghz but is supposed to be powerful enough to do super resolution in real time plus a number of other tricks.

It should be inexpensive enough to use in mass production players. They also mentioned that sharp would be buying the product to include in their HD television sets and would be available as an add on card for the PC.

·
Registered
5,562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disclord /forum/post/12860988

What is that, the Spursengine? I've never heard that term before - is it Super Resolution processing or something?

u and most of the rest of us havent heard of it cuz its never been used/seen/discussed (at least by consumers or anyone outside of toshiba) until ces, afaik.

i think its an abbreviation of 'SuPer resolUtion pRocessing, etc...'. just a guess.

·
Banned
4,969 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchesman /forum/post/12862013

Robert, are the firmware updates only for Gen 3 Hardware? What about gen 2? Did my A-2 see it's last firmware update?

Toshiba is supporting all HD DVD player with upgrades as they are developed.

-Robert

·
Registered
198 Posts
Robert, thanks for the reply! I have another quick question if you don't mind. Any chance we will get a firmware for a faster eject? Is there theoretically no reason the eject mechanism can work independently of the hd-dvd player? I would love this. The only negative I have the with hd-dvd is waiting for the tray to open. I know people will yell at me for not having patience to wait for the unit to load before watching a 2.5 hour movie. I have the patience. I am just wondering if Toshiba has considered cutting down loading times with any type of work around. I'm just curious, please don't bash.

I love HD-DVD! :)

·
Registered
1,150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerdoc1 /forum/post/12856252

Toshiba bought the cell production plant and has developed a less expensive cell processor for just this purpose. It uses fewer cells and runs slower than a PS3 but is supposed to be much less expensive to produce.

This would not be a PS3 class processor. It is just a video coprocesser. It is slower, has fewer cells and uses less expensive materials. On the plus side, in addition to being much less expensive, it only uses 10-20 watts.

That makes sense and would rock! I hope it turns out to be true!

I actually have a very short list of improvements that I'd love to see in the next generation of HD DVD players:

1. Shorter boot and load times

2. HDMI-CEC. I know gen 3 has it already, but I mostly use XA2 which doesn't

3. Auto-detection of film vs. video content so I needn't turn off 24p, etc.

Other than that, I feel the XA2 is perfect.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
^

1st = XBOX 360

2nd = Wii

3rd = PS2

4th = PS3

And I never said "this generation"

The PS2 still outsells the PS3 (I've read that december sales for PS3 were only 400,000 in NA...I'm thinking that sounds low, but I read that in another thread). Hell, PS2 may even be outselling XBOX 360, for that matter.

·
Registered
432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland /forum/post/12861407

Odd how any HD DVD owner will tell you it is the best upscaling player on the planet. I don't think the 4th gen players need to be any 'better'... we need movies. Even Universal and Paramount, studios with many great films, are releasing virtually nothing in 2008.

Moreover, folks that buy $100 HD DVD players are not happy about spending more per disc than their Blu Ray counterparts... HD DVD should lower disc prices across the board to DVD pricing ($15 to $20). $30 and up to too expensive for the average buyer walking into Best Buy or Target. It would better fit the player pricing. There is better pricing on line but that does nothing for HD DVD but maintain its flash in the pan internet phenomenon status.

Regarding upscaling, it is far over-rated. Most players from any manufacturer do it quite well already. The importance of upscaling on a screen smaller than 50" is debatable.

I do hope they work on firmware updates for the next gen players.. That is positive.

I think the confusion here is some people are talking upscaling and others are talking about super resolution. They are completely different technology.

After you upscale, you do not have any more real pixels than when you started. With super resolution, you are pulling information from other frames and have the real potential to quadrupal the real resolution of the source (depending on how many frames you sample).

I can tell the difference between SD and HD on a 26 inch TV from 10 feet away. True resolution increase would benefit me greatly even on the 26 inch TV in the bedroom.

I agree about disc pricing. Once the players are out there, you don't want to discourage buying.

Of course, although Toshiba has purchased the plant to make the spursengine and have demonstrated it. Them putting it in a fourth generation player is completely speculative.

·
Registered
202 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNO821 /forum/post/12863485

^

1st = XBOX 360

2nd = Wii

3rd = PS2

4th = PS3

The PS2 still outsells the PS3 (I've read that december sales for PS3 were only 400,000 in NA...I'm thinking that sounds low, but I read that in another thread). Hell, PS2 may even be outselling XBOX 360, for that matter.

It was more then 400k...but the ps2 sold more in 07 then ps3 has in its life

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/ne...l/19119/?biz=1

Here' how the 2007 annual hardware sales and life-to-date (in parentheses) installed bases stack up:

DS: 8.50 million (17.65 million)

Wii: 6.29 million (7.38 million)

Xbox 360: 4.62 million (9.15 million)

PS2: 3.97 million (41.12 million)

PSP: 3.82 million (10.47 million)

PS3: 2.56 million (3.25 million)

·
Registered
771 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNO821 /forum/post/12863485

^

1st = XBOX 360

2nd = Wii

3rd = PS2

4th = PS3

This has nothing to do with the intent of this thread, which is a 4th generation HD player from Toshiba. let's try to stay on topic. Thanks

·
Registered
1,131 Posts

Quote:

Universal, Paramount, Dreamworks and Dreamworks Animation are working on an escalated release schedule of catalog titles, but legal and replicating processes take some time to get through the pipeline.

As a HD DVD owner, I hope you're right................however, I'll believe it when I see it. I don't believe I'll see it. Para did squat last year, the same they'll do in 2008 until the BR hammer falls!

101 - 120 of 136 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.