AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been in the market for a 4k HDTV and was waiting till CES to see if something new met my criteria and the 55EF9500 does

OLED
Passive 3D
55 inch HDTV

So given the trends and the prices from last year is their any chance this HDTV will be under 2K? Most of the LCD 4K HDTV's in this size range will be under 2K but I really want OLED.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I've been in the market for a 4k HDTV and was waiting till CES to see if something new met my criteria and the 55EF9500 does

OLED
Passive 3D
55 inch HDTV

So given the trends and the prices from last year is their any chance this HDTV will be under 2K? Most of the LCD 4K HDTV's in this size range will be under 2K but I really want OLED.
If it's 2 grand I'll buy one for sure.

EDIT: Assuming is has similar input lag to last years model and supports Chroma 4:4:4

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seeing as it's flat and not near the biggest model in the lineup I got my fingers crossed for it somehow being under $2K.

Even if it's alot more I'm glad to see an OLED come out that meets all my needs, I'll probably have to wait a bit for the price to drop.

·
Registered
447 Posts
At best I think we will get pricing close to Samsung's flagship. The 55" HU9000 is $3200 - street pricing is lower though so of course we could see it drop in time, but I don't think the initial pricing will be below that.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
The 77" is $25k and the 55" curved *1080P* OLED is $3500, so a 55" Flat 4K OLED for less then $2K is far fetched. Would be lovely if it was. I'm expecting closer to $5K. My jaw (along with Samsungs jaw) would hit the floor if they price it under 3.5K.

Rumor I read has them coming out in March, so we'll know soon :). Assuming that March is correct.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Considering how fast display prices dropped initially I expect something like $2500 to $2700 street initially. They'll dip into low 2's by November.

LG needs this to be successful. They want this to be consumer level tech. At some point, I'd say, high volume at low margin will be more important than low volume at high margin. $12K sets are all nice and fine but they are not remotely approachable for a consumer brand. These aren't Runco OLEDs :D . For 2015 just breaking even on each set is a win.

But what do I know?

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep if the price falls to 2k this year I'll jump on it. Any concerns about hdcp 2.2 or rec 2020? Seems tv that fully support this are more than a year out.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Yep if the price falls to 2k this year I'll jump on it. Any concerns about hdcp 2.2 or rec 2020? Seems tv that fully support this are more than a year out.
If its $2k to $3k for the 55", I would pop on it for sure. I will pass at any price if its not 18Gbps HDMI 2.0 / HDCP 2.2. That's going to be needed for native 4K content from BluRay HD and DirecTV / DISH. Color gamuts, meh, not too worried about that.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If its $2k to $3k for the 55", I would pop on it for sure. I will pass at any price if its not 18Gbps HDMI 2.0 / HDCP 2.2. That's going to be needed for native 4K content from BluRay HD and DirecTV / DISH. Color gamuts, meh, not too worried about that.
In reading some other threads it seems like their is a good chance these OLED's will not do the 18GBPS HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2, something about the HDMI boards coming in to late for these HDTV's.

If that is the case should we just wait for next years model?

·
Registered
391 Posts
In reading some other threads it seems like their is a good chance these OLED's will not do the 18GBPS HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2, something about the HDMI boards coming in to late for these HDTV's.

If that's the case then I will wait for 2016.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts

I wouldn't spend $3K - $5K+ on anything that's going to be obsolete in 6 months. I wouldn't even spend $1K :).

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hope we get it cleared up soon, would be a shame if these sets were obsolete before they even came out.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Hope we get it cleared up soon, would be a shame if these sets were obsolete before they even came out.
On the 77" model, they have the tech specs up and say that 1 (of 4) HDMI input supports HDCP 2.2, but they don't say if its 18Gbps, which probably means that it isn't.

On the 55" model, the only thing they say is that it'll do 4K 60Fps. But they don't really have the specs out yet.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
I would expect the 55" to be

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
If you're waiting to pull the trigger on an OLED because it's not 18Gbps HDMI 2.0 / HDCP 2.2 compliant, then you really are an early adopter and should wait until they meet those specs.

I'd settle for a 65" 1080P OLED but that's not the direction LG is going. Everything is about the buzz - - 4K and HDR. Nevermind that there is very, very little content available and won't be for a long time.

Direct 4K offerings will be limited to "Pay Per View" movies. And it will be interesting to hear the feedback of 4K owners with Directv on 4K PQ and soundtrack. Will it be watered down 4K?

How many 4K movies does DIRECTV have?

(From Directv's web site) The number of 4K movies varies from week to week, but there are always at least two 4K movies available to watch instantly. To enjoy them, you must first turn on the Genie Recommends feature on your TV.

Honestly, there will be no broadcast TV or even Cable/Satellite TV with 4K/HDR capability for years to come. How many years? Three (minimum) to five (probable). And the conversion will not be as simple and straight forward (and as strong a business case) as with SD to HD.

And if you upgrade your TV in a five year cycle, you'll have much better offerings with appreciable content the later you buy within this time frame.

The real dilemma is for folks who need to replace their big screen TV's now. Do I future proof my set? (If possible?) How much bang can I get for my buck?

If I were in the market today for a 65" (more like 70" or 75") - I'd by the best 1080P set I could find. And I'd minimize the cost.

Lack of 4K/UHD/HDR content and lack of evolving standards need to be factored in to your current buying criteria.

Reactions: RDalton

·
Registered
1,708 Posts

OLED
Passive 3D
55 inch HDTV

Swanlee,

I'm always interested in learning how people plan to use their 4K/UHD TVs/Monitors. What about you? What are you planning on doing with it once you get it home?

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I'm just a normal user who wants to be ahead as much as possible of the tech curve. I'm preparing for when more 4K content will be around more and want to enjoy the benefits of superior OLED PQ. I do not want to get a 1080P OLED since a 4K model is within reach and while my current 1080P LG LCD is fine I've had it since 2011 and could move it to the basement and honestly I'm just itching for something new with better PQ.

I tend to be an early adopter in almost anything technical but only when it makes sense from a longevity and price stand point. Their usually is a sweet spot when the technology is finished and the price is at an acceptable point for me to jump in early.

Typical use would be Xbox one video games, Cable TV, Blu-Ray, Netflix etc.

I would also upgrade my BLU-Ray player when Oppo puts out a 4k blu-ray player that plays the new 4K discs.

So I can wait another year but if a 55 inch OLED 4K HDTV came out that supports HDMI 2.0+ HDCP 2.2 and 18GBPS and was around 2K I'd jump in as that would be the point where the TV would have some longevity.

I don't want to upgrade to LCD 4K or 1080P OLED as that would be a small stop gap and not serve me well in the long run.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
If you're waiting to pull the trigger on an OLED because it's not 18Gbps HDMI 2.0 / HDCP 2.2 compliant, then you really are an early adopter and should wait until they meet those specs.
I'll assume you meant, you *aren't* an early adopter. Me, personally, I'd consider myself a person who likes to buy stuff pretty early on, I'm not the type to buy a gen or two back to save a few $$$. That being said, I'm not going to early adopt something that is *GUARANTEED* to be obsolete within a year and is not going to meet my needs long term. A large TV is a PITA to get rid of, so I usually keep them longer then 5 yrs.

Something small like a BluRay player or an iPhone, thats easy to get rid of and sell on eBay, yeah, I'll buy those kinds of things on Day 0.

I'd settle for a 65" 1080P OLED but that's not the direction LG is going. Everything is about the buzz - - 4K and HDR. Nevermind that there is very, very little content available and won't be for a long time.

Honestly, there will be no broadcast TV or even Cable/Satellite TV with 4K/HDR capability for years to come. How many years? Three (minimum) to five (probable). And the conversion will not be as simple and straight forward (and as strong a business case) as with SD to HD.
Years?? LOL. You must not be paying attention :).

Dish announced the 4K Joey @ CES and expects a summer release.

DirecTV rumors are saying Feb / March / April for 4K Genie news & they just launched a new sat (D14) and D15 is on the way with the intention of providing 4K content.

There were 1 or 2 prototype 4K BluRay players @ CES. Those are expected to be on the shelf by XMas.

4K OTA? Well, Ok, thats probably 5 to 10 yrs, if ever... They *are* working on the standard (ATSC 3.0), but its a long way off.

They do kind of need a technological / bandwidth breakthrough if they are going to go full blown 4K all around.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I'll assume you meant, you *aren't* an early adopter. Me, personally, I'd consider myself a person who likes to buy stuff pretty early on, I'm not the type to buy a gen or two back to save a few $$$. That being said, I'm not going to early adopt something that is *GUARANTEED* to be obsolete within a year and is not going to meet my needs long term. A large TV is a PITA to get rid of, so I usually keep them longer then 5 yrs.

Something small like a BluRay player or an iPhone, thats easy to get rid of and sell on eBay, yeah, I'll buy those kinds of things on Day 0.

Years?? LOL. You must not be paying attention :).

Dish announced the 4K Joey @ CES and expects a summer release.

DirecTV rumors are saying Feb / March / April for 4K Genie news & they just launched a new sat (D14) and D15 is on the way with the intention of providing 4K content.

There were 1 or 2 prototype 4K BluRay players @ CES. Those are expected to be on the shelf by XMas.

4K OTA? Well, Ok, thats probably 5 to 10 yrs, if ever... They *are* working on the standard (ATSC 3.0), but its a long way off.

They do kind of need a technological / bandwidth breakthrough if they are going to go full blown 4K all around.
Yeah, worrying about 4K "broadcasting" in the traditional sense is dumb. In 5-10 years cable will be in the past for enthusiasts and maybe even a large portion of the mainstream. TV over the internet is the future and that's where 4k has started and it's where it will grow the fastest. OTA will stick around because it's good to have that available and not be fully dependent on internet infrastructure.

2015 will mark a huge turning point in the shift away from cable. HBO Go, Sling TV and the fact that the TV market is moving MUCH faster than cable will be able to. The shift from SD to HD was slow as molasses as we all waited around for cable, but the shift from HD to 4k is happening super fast because of the internet.

1 - 20 of 190 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.