AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 100 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Not anytime soon. August/September is the current rumored release date for the EF9500 series.
Bleh, so these sites that seems to allow it to be ordered are just going to back order/pre order etc?

Problem with this is it won't have any real time to drop in price by the time I'm going to buy a new TV then it will be another 4-6 years before I upgrade.

LG just seems pretty content to let their market slip on users who are finally ready to jump into 4K this year but still have a budget to contend with.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Bleh, so these sites that seems to allow it to be ordered are just going to back order/pre order etc?

Problem with this is it won't have any real time to drop in price by the time I'm going to buy a new TV then it will be another 4-6 years before I upgrade.

LG just seems pretty content to let their market slip on users who are finally ready to jump into 4K this year but still have a budget to contend with.
Called a scam :). They don't have the TV because its not out. They likely won't have it any time soon either since LG is just shipping to authorized resellers.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The discount price of $3900 is encouraging if it is coming out soon and is able to dip below $3500 by the fall I may have to put the EF9500 back on my TV list.

Right now I'm pretty set on the Samsung 55 inch JS8500 which should be around $2500 by the fall when I'm going to buy a new TV.

Also the EF9500 has to have HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2/18GBPS and HDR for me to re consider it. The JS8500 has these features and for alot less money.

So the Clock is ticking LG, get it below $3500 with future compatible ports and HDR and I'll buy the EF9500 over the JS8500 even if the EF9500 is $1000 more than the JS8500.
Well in that case you can cross all of the currently announced LG OLED's off your list, at least assuming the EF9500 is simply a flat 9600, because none of them are HDR, LG is still working on HDR with respect to OLED, it was suggested my many that HDR posed a major problem for OLED but LG recently said they can and will do it and even hope to release a TV with it this year, but not until theres a standard...and that makes sense to me, i wouldn't spend even more than the premium already charged for 4k not to mention OLED for an HDR TV that may not even be using an Implementation of HDR that is standardized.

Here is the link about LG's comments to competitors suggesting OLED HDR will take years. http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2015/03/05/lg-hits-out-at-oled-critics-promises-hdr-4k-oled-tvs-by-third-quarter/

and a screenshot of the most important few paragraphs for those scared of links,

·
Registered
72 Posts
Personally my biggest worry about these LG OLED sets are the terrible motion resolution, its so unnecessary and apparently is because they use a frame creation process/algorithm that is used on LCD's instead of one similar to Plasma sets, which makes little to no sense at all, the result is motion resolution is laughably low, lower than many LCD sets even, and definitely much lower than my Panasonic VT60 Plasma that i sold to purchase a OLED set, i am beginning to regret that choice...i love the black levels of Plasma and obviously OLED is greater, but Motion resolution is huge to me and thats why i went plasma and how i discovered it after searching for ways to get rid of that terrible image blur from poor motion res. on LCD, this was an issue on the previous 1080P LG OLED models and was mentioned by many back then and apparently LG completely ignored that feedback as its the same with the newer 4k models, might have to wait for Panasonic to put a good OLED out, even if its just a LG panel with better image processing, sigh :/

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #86 (Edited)
Well in that case you can cross all of the currently announced LG OLED's off your list, at least assuming the EF9500 is simply a flat 9600, because none of them are HDR, LG is still working on HDR with respect to OLED, it was suggested my many that HDR posed a major problem for OLED but LG recently said they can and will do it and even hope to release a TV with it this year, but not until theres a standard...and that makes sense to me, i wouldn't spend even more than the premium already charged for 4k not to mention OLED for an HDR TV that may not even be using an Implementation of HDR that is standardized.

Here is the link about LG's comments to competitors suggesting OLED HDR will take years. http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2015/03/05/lg-hits-out-at-oled-critics-promises-hdr-4k-oled-tvs-by-third-quarter/

and a screenshot of the most important few paragraphs for those scared of links,

Ok well that pretty much settles it for me, not that HDR content is gong to be huge soon but I'm not going to spend thousands of dollars more on OLED vs LCD just to have the OLED set have missing features for the long haul.

Yea OLED has better blacks but is a ton more money and doesn't seem very future forward when it comes to specs coming soon down the road. My next TV I'm buying this year and will need to last me 5 years at least. OLED is simply not ready for my price range and features I want. Hopefully by the time I buy my next next TV in 2020 or so LG has this all sorted out.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Ok well that pretty much settles it for me, not that HDR content is gong to be huge soon but I'm not going to spend thousands of dollars more on OLED vs LCD just to have the OLED set have missing features for the long haul.

Yea OLED has better blacks but is a ton more money and doesn't seem very future forward when it comes to specs coming soon down the road. My next TV I'm buying this year and will need to last me 5 years. OLED is simply not ready for my price range and features I want. Hopefully by the time I buy my next next TV in 2020 or so LG has this all sorted out.
I hear you there, although to be honest your complaint here and even my complaints re: motion resolution won't likely be enough to keep me away from OLED....and LG says they are releasing a HDR 4K OLED in Q3 of this year so might want to wait for that showing before you give up. Personally i don't mind missing out on HDR...I would go with a 1080P Plasma/OLED over a 4K LCD with HDR, in my view the ridiculous Contrast ratio afforded by the black level afford OLED especially a natural dynamic range boost over typical sets to begin with, i was actually selling my 65" VT60 for $3400 to get the 1080P LG OLED, but now i am thinking might as well go 4k since its here. I don't mind selling the set in a year or whenever if some must have change comes out.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
I hear you there, although to be honest your complaint here and even my complaints re: motion resolution won't likely be enough to keep me away from OLED....and LG says they are releasing a HDR 4K OLED in Q3 of this year so might want to wait for that showing before you give up. Personally i don't mind missing out on HDR...I would go with a 1080P Plasma/OLED over a 4K LCD with HDR, in my view the ridiculous Contrast ratio afforded by the black level afford OLED especially a natural dynamic range boost over typical sets to begin with, i was actually selling my 65" VT60 for $3400 to get the 1080P LG OLED, but now i am thinking might as well go 4k since its here. I don't mind selling the set in a year or whenever if some must have change comes out.

I'm not buying anything till the fall so I'm going to sit back and let things shake out, so far though LG has not been very good with their delivery of this years OLED's. My current TV is LG and I really wanted an OLED but right now the Samsung 55JS8500 has all the features I'm looking for and initial reports of he JS line are really good and the JS8500 will probably be $2500 by the fall and I don't see OLED getting near that ballpark on price this year. I'd pay $3500 for the same size OLED with the features of he Samsung.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
If you are talking 55" 4K for $3500, that "may be possible" in fall, 65" forget it.....

Well if the 55EF9500 doesn't even come out till the fall I doubt it will drop $1500 that quick. Also getting pretty discouraged with this years OLED's knowing HDR is out and hdmi 2.0/hdcp 2.2/18gbps are still not confirmed.

I'm not comfortable paying an OLED tax for something that is not compatible with features of future formats. I saw a JS9000 today at best buy running the usual 4K loop and if the 55 inch JS8500 has similar PQ and hits $2500 by the fall it's pretty much a no brainer for me.

Just starting to realize OLED is not going meet my price vs performance vs feature requirements this time around. Maybe 2020 or 2021 when I upgrade this years TV things will have improved for OLED.

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Well if the 55EF9500 doesn't even come out till the fall I doubt it will drop $1500 that quick. Also getting pretty discouraged with this years OLED's knowing HDR is out and hdmi 2.0/hdcp 2.2/18gbps are still not confirmed.
HDR is "out?" Where's the content?

I'm not talking about one-off streams, I'm talking a full length Hollywood film you can purchase.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #92

I'm not talking about one-off streams, I'm talking a full length Hollywood film you can purchase.

It doesn't matter if their is no content now. The TV I'm buying in the fall will need to last me at least 5 years and could last me longer. During that time 4k and HDR content should grow to the point where having a TV to take advantage of it will be a wise choice. Why buy a TV right now for thousands of dollars that I knew would miss out on future content?

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
It doesn't matter if their is no content now. The TV I'm buying in the fall will need to last me at least 5 years and could last me longer. During that time 4k and HDR content should grow to the point where having a TV to take advantage of it will be a wise choice. Why buy a TV right now for thousands of dollars that I knew would miss out on future content?
Perhaps to play existing content, not to worry about content that may never actually exist or be released in any meaningful quantity?

There will always be something "new" coming "next year," so by that rationale you could never purchase anything.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts

I've heard both yes & no on HDR via firmware. There isn't an HDR standard yet, so who knows... if its just extra data that the panel is capable of displaying, then I don't see why they couldn't do a firmware update.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Ok, so if you buy a TV today and it CAN do HDR, the next thing you'll be missing out on is DCI-P3 and/or rec2020 :).

There's always going to be something new coming. Gotta decide where your stopping point is.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Perhaps to play existing content, not to worry about content that may never actually exist or be released in any meaningful quantity?

There will always be something "new" coming "next year," so by that rationale you could never purchase anything.
Spending $5K or $9K on a TV that just works for now without any thought as to what is or could be coming down the road in 1 - 2 yrs doesn't seem like very sage advice to me :).

Granted some people change out TVs every 2 or 3 yrs, so they don't care.

Not saying you need to think out 20 yrs... or 10... or hell, even thinking out 5 yrs is impractical.

HDR though is CERTAINLY coming by EOY I'm predicting. If you don't see that..... :D

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #97 (Edited)
Ok, so if you buy a TV today and it CAN do HDR, the next thing you'll be missing out on is DCI-P3 and/or rec2020 :).

There's always going to be something new coming. Gotta decide where your stopping point is.

I'm buying a TV in the fall not today, but why would I pay alot more for OLED knowing it won't work with a near future spec? I can spend less on a JS8500 that is HDR compliant and has all the correct ports to take advantage of it.

My stopping point is I'm buying a TV in the fall of 2015, it has to be $3500 or less for a 55-60 inch 4K 3D HDTV with HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2/18GBPS and is a HDR capable TV. No OLED meets those needs but the JS8500 will.

I want this TV to last 5 years and am trying to buy something that meets known upcoming spec's that is actually for sale by the fall.

I have a very clear timeframe with very clear criteria and it looks more and more like OLED isn't going to fit that criteria.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I'm buying a TV in the fall not today, but why would I pay alot more for OLED knowing it won't work with a near future spec? I can spend less on a JS8500 that is HDR compliant and has all the correct ports to take advantage of it.

My stopping point is I'm buying a TV in the fall of 2015, it has to be $3500 or less for a 55-60 inch 4K 3D HDTV with HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2/18GBPS and is a HDR capable TV. No OLED meets those needs but the JS8500 will.

I want this TV to last 5 years and am trying to buy something that meets known upcoming spec's that is actually for sale by the fall.

I have a very clear timeframe with very clear criteria and it looks more and more like OLED isn't going to fit that criteria.
This TV is 18Gbps HDMI 2.0 / HDCP 2.2.

No TV can say they are HDR compliant yet since there is no such thing. Its only a concept. There is no standard defined yet. There is no word yet on if this TV will be able to do a firmware upgrade to HDR.

$3500 for the 55"? Doubtful. There's only one place supposedly offering a discount on the curved 55" and its way, way above $3500.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
This TV is 18Gbps HDMI 2.0 / HDCP 2.2.

No TV can say they are HDR compliant yet since there is no such thing. Its only a concept. There is no standard defined yet. There is no word yet on if this TV will be able to do a firmware upgrade to HDR.

$3500 for the 55"? Doubtful. There's only one place supposedly offering a discount on the curved 55" and its way, way above $3500.

Yea like I said this years batch of OLED's is just not a match for my needs, price or potential future compatibility. Not for me so I'm focusing my effort on the Samsung SUHD line of LCD's. These look to be a better match for my price VS performance VS compatibility needs.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Well if you use the same logic as the EC9300 which has been out for 9 months. It's gotten a 43% drop from release price ($3500 down to $2000). 71% of the ($6999 MSRP). So if the EG9500 is at $5500, a 43% drop would put it at $3,135 and a 71% drop would put it at $1600. I think it's far more likely that it'll hit the $3k number but I don't see it out of reason that it'll hit between $3-3.5k by end of the year/black friday. Especially with ramped production, the flat model out, and a supposed HDR optimized set being released late in the year.

Not saying it will happen that way, but I'd be willing to bet there's a good chance. $2k on the other hand likely won't happen at all or not for at least a year from now.

81 - 100 of 190 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.