AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
101 - 120 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Well if you use the same logic as the EC9300 which has been out for 9 months. It's gotten a 43% drop from release price ($3500 down to $2000). 71% of the ($6999 MSRP). So if the EG9500 is at $5500, a 43% drop would put it at $3,135 and a 71% drop would put it at $1600. I think it's far more likely that it'll hit the $3k number but I don't see it out of reason that it'll hit between $3-3.5k by end of the year/black friday. Especially with ramped production, the flat model out, and a supposed HDR optimized set being released late in the year.

Not saying it will happen that way, but I'd be willing to bet there's a good chance. $2k on the other hand likely won't happen at all or not for at least a year from now.
I'm not doubting the price will drop I'm doubting the price will drop enough by the end of the year for me to want to buy it if it does not come out till the fall.

If it comes out now then it has a chance to hit below $3500 by the fall. I would then try and view one in person and hopefully the ports spec's and HDR Yes/No issues will be ironed out by then.

If all this is a go and the ports are good, TV looks good in person and HDR is at least a possibility and it hits $3500 then I will certainly heavily consider it even though it will still probably be $1000 more than the JS8500 will be at the time.

I can tell you that the JS8500 is sufficiently future proof with what we know now I cannot say the same thing about the 55EF9500.

I will pay $1000 more for the OLED tax but only if it is sufficiently future proof given what we know now.

·
Registered
6,600 Posts
Yea like I said this years batch of OLED's is just not a match for my needs, price or potential future compatibility. Not for me so I'm focusing my effort on the Samsung SUHD line of LCD's. These look to be a better match for my price VS performance VS compatibility needs.
Then that's the right purchasing decision for you.

I've yet to see a large LCD I was willing to purchase, so OLED remains my only hope for replacing my plasma now that plasma is dead.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Then that's the right purchasing decision for you.

I've yet to see a large LCD I was willing to purchase, so OLED remains my only hope for replacing my plasma now that plasma is dead.
same here, also, that Samsung model isn't future proof when it comes to HDR either, its not a standard yet and theres a HUGE chance that samsung's current implementation is not what will wind up being the HDR standard. Regardless for me OLED without HDR beats LCD with it any day .

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm not doubting the price will drop I'm doubting the price will drop enough by the end of the year for me to want to buy it if it does not come out till the fall.

If it comes out now then it has a chance to hit below $3500 by the fall. I would then try and view one in person and hopefully the ports spec's and HDR Yes/No issues will be ironed out by then.

If all this is a go and the ports are good, TV looks good in person and HDR is at least a possibility and it hits $3500 then I will certainly heavily consider it even though it will still probably be $1000 more than the JS8500 will be at the time.

I can tell you that the JS8500 is sufficiently future proof with what we know now I cannot say the same thing about the 55EF9500.

I will pay $1000 more for the OLED tax but only if it is sufficiently future proof given what we know now.
I work at Sears and they're listing that the 55EF9500 will be available to order mid-June. We won't have any on display, just available for order. Also, our pricing will be $4999.99 for now. Just trying to help out on my first post :)

·
Banned
425 Posts
It doesn't matter if their is no content now. The TV I'm buying in the fall will need to last me at least 5 years and could last me longer. During that time 4k and HDR content should grow to the point where having a TV to take advantage of it will be a wise choice. Why buy a TV right now for thousands of dollars that I knew would miss out on future content?
I hope you're not planning on buying an OLED in that case. I wouldn't put much stock in the first couple of generations of OLEDs from any manufacturer lasting that long. I fully expect mine to develop some problem that makes me shelf it before 5 years rolls around and will be pleasantly surprised if it doesn't ;) I factored that into my purchase decision, and for that reason I would have forgone a 65" or 77" model even if I had a place far enough away to sit to make those sizes practical.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
I hope you're not planning on buying an OLED in that case. I wouldn't put much stock in the first couple of generations of OLEDs from any manufacturer lasting that long. I fully expect mine to develop some problem that makes me shelf it before 5 years rolls around and will be pleasantly surprised if it doesn't ;) I factored that into my purchase decision, and for that reason I would have forgone a 65" or 77" model even if I had a place far enough away to sit to make those sizes practical.
I've pretty much decided to get a Samsung 55 inch JS8500 in the fall for hopefully around $2500. Seems like it's PQ and compatibility with known future formats should keep it decent for 3-5 years. By then hopefully OLED's will have worked out it's issues and be more affordable. It just looks like OLED is not ready for mainstream yet.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
I've pretty much decided to get a Samsung 55 inch JS8500 in the fall for hopefully around $2500. Seems like it's PQ and compatibility with known future formats should keep it decent for 3-5 years. By then hopefully OLED's will have worked out it's issues and be more affordable. It just looks like OLED is not ready for mainstream yet.
Everyone has separate needs and budgets but there is a reason why the samsung J8500 is cheaper, regardless of HDR capalities or not, you get what you pay for.

image.jpg

Reactions: 4yamahas

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Everyone has separate needs and budgets but there is a reason why the samsung J8500 is cheaper, regardless of HDR capalities or not, you get what you pay for.

View attachment 645417

Whatever way to pick out one bad shot in all the pics he put up, After seeing an actual owner of the JS8500 post a slew of pics I'm done here. After reading the issues with the new line of OLED's and seeing pics posted by some German review sites no way is it to me worth an extra $2000 over the 55 inch JS8500. Have fun with the OLED's I may be back in about 5 years or so to see if they have improved and gotten cheaper.

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
I work at Sears and they're listing that the 55EF9500 will be available to order mid-June. We won't have any on display, just available for order. Also, our pricing will be $4999.99 for now. Just trying to help out on my first post :)
Well that's interesting! You should post over in the "...EF9500 Anticipation Thread". The bonus is we can avoid reading the pi**ing contest about why Samsung is better than LG (I don't CARE about LCDs...).

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Whatever way to pick out one bad shot in all the pics he put up, After seeing an actual owner of the JS8500 post a slew of pics I'm done here. After reading the issues with the new line of OLED's and seeing pics posted by some German review sites no way is it to me worth an extra $2000 over the 55 inch JS8500. Have fun with the OLED's I may be back in about 5 years or so to see if they have improved and gotten cheaper.
It's not one bad shot, it is an edge lit tv that has flashlighting which will show every time you watch it, whenever there are dark scenes. It's nothing new, for that very reason people exchange sets over and over to find one that is good or do silly things like massaging the screen. I'm just making you aware, if it doesn't bother you than it's excellent, you have found your future proof edge lit tv, according to you. Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Walt's has it available to order online - also at $4,999 (MSRP: $5,099.00).

·
Vendor
26,683 Posts
^^^That price is high......
I'm buying a TV in the fall not today, but why would I pay alot more for OLED knowing it won't work with a near future spec? I can spend less on a JS8500 that is HDR compliant and has all the correct ports to take advantage of it.
How often do you actually think you will be watching an HDR flick ? I bet even the 1080P OLED will beat the JS8500 while it is in 4K and with an HDR movie. Why, comes down to core technology. In the end and edge lit TV has never been considered reference quality. FALD, Plasma, and OLED are considered reference quality.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Good info to know. Thanks.
No idea when it will be released here in the UK (ef959v). But I am keeping an eye out (on my 2nd post :)

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
. How often do you actually think you will be watching an HDR flick ? .
exactly. And if you are cheap on spending, how often are you going to pay the $30+ for an HDR movie? They won't just be giving them away. Or will you still just rent the HD one, like me, because it looks phenomenal still when you have a good enough tv ;)

·
Registered
33,388 Posts
And even if you're watching an HDR movie, how often do you think you will see that HDR effect? If it's not done in a gimmicky manner, probably quite seldom.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Is the UK getting this? I'm baffled by LG's marketing in the UK.

Any hints on prices? In need of a set desperately and not sure if I should hold out or not

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Guys, at size of 55" and if you want to save some money, the regular HD OLED is a very good choice. I will say better than any 4K LED side by side. Just saying. :cool:
I agree. Prime viewing for a 4k 55" set is 3' away.
Granted as one poster stated, the LG has the SDE, so it would help that.
But for 4k, I would think 65" would be the minimal size, whether OLED or LED.
80" would probably be what one would want for 4k.
If I was in the market today, I'd buy a Sammy plasma, if I could find one.
Or, wait between a Frye's sale and Black Friday to get the 55" 1080p OLED.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
. How often do you actually think you will be watching an HDR flick ? I bet even the 1080P OLED will beat the JS8500 while it is in 4K and with an HDR movie. Why, comes down to core technology. In the end and edge lit TV has never been considered reference quality. FALD, Plasma, and OLED are considered reference quality.
This. I just cannot stomach any LCD after owning an OLED. I do not have to go back to LCD, and I probably never will.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Exactly matches what shops in UK are saying. Sites here in UK say £3,200 and I have seen the same prices in euros on mainland Europe of $5K equivalent.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I've been in the market for a 4k HDTV and was waiting till CES to see if something new met my criteria and the 55EF9500 does

OLED
Passive 3D
55 inch HDTV

So given the trends and the prices from last year is their any chance this HDTV will be under 2K? Most of the LCD 4K HDTV's in this size range will be under 2K but I really want OLED.
My opinion is the flat one will be priced higher than the eg9600 curved given the speaker stand it comes with. Id guess between 5 and 6000. Not a snowballs chance it comes in at 2. The ec9300 is what you should be getting if 2 is your price range. 4K is non issue at this size, and the curve is very very slight. I've actually grown to like the small curve over time.

At 2k everyone looking for OLED should be scooping up the ec9300. I paid 3k and would again if I had to. But seriously, I'm a 4K supporter and I can tell you there is no reason to have a 55" 4K set. 65 barely, 75 sure and 85 definitely. I'm not easily impressed and I get digital wood everytime I turn on my ec9300 :eek:

101 - 120 of 190 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.