AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
141 - 160 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Do you remember the prices on the Panasonic Pro plasmas and the costs of the blades? Not exactly inexpensive; the MSRP on the 50" TH-50PHD6UY plasma was $7495 and the DVI-D board was $150 more.

Note also that Panasonic never bothered to come out with an HDMI board for their older plasmas, so even at $150 it wasn't cost-effective to create new blades for old TVs.

$150 on a $5000 set is much more realistic then $500 on a $1500 set which is pretty much how relative the OneConnect box is.

·
Registered
84 Posts
This makes me think. Why has LG limited themselves to only producing UHD units when they can apparently produce regular HD units for a much cheaper and more viable price? Given that price is probably the biggest obstacle they have in penetrating the market with OLED, their decision to not offer a line of much cheaper 1080p sets is puzzling. To succeed with the tech, they need as much market penetration as they can get. By not offering 1080p sets, they seem to almost be shooting themselves in the foot. Then again, perhaps they don't have the manufacturing capacity yet to produce both.
because, right now, they are making mostly 1080p sets. once they transition into making mostly 4k sets, the 4k sets will go down in price like the 1080p sets have.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've definitely moved on, Not even considering the EF9500 anymore after all the issues this years OLED's have had and the fact these haven't even hit the street yet so will still be $5K when I'm going to buy in about 2 months if they are out at all.

I'll save $3k get a 55 inch JS8500 for $2K and revisit OLED land somewhere around 2020.

I completely agree after researching for about 2 weeks and contemplating, I decided on the JS8500. OLED will be ideal in 3 to 4 years and I crossing my fingers that Samsung will get back into OLED to give LG a run for there money.

·
Registered
447 Posts
This makes me think. Why has LG limited themselves to only producing UHD units when they can apparently produce regular HD units for a much cheaper and more viable price? Given that price is probably the biggest obstacle they have in penetrating the market with OLED, their decision to not offer a line of much cheaper 1080p sets is puzzling. To succeed with the tech, they need as much market penetration as they can get. By not offering 1080p sets, they seem to almost be shooting themselves in the foot. Then again, perhaps they don't have the manufacturing capacity yet to produce both.

1080p OLED is cheaper to produce now, but in time LG probably feels they can get 4K yields just as high, and eventually make the same profit margins on those sets as if they were 1080p.

For a 55" 1080p still makes a lot of sense, so I'm glad they continue to manufacture the EC9300. But for the bigger sizes sticking with 4K makes sense.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I completely agree after researching for about 2 weeks and contemplating, I decided on the JS8500. OLED will be ideal in 3 to 4 years and I crossing my fingers that Samsung will get back into OLED to give LG a run for there money.
Why did you get the JS8500 over the EC9300? You could say they're the same price as I've seen the EC9300 being sold for $1,499 - $2,299. Can't be just 4k and HDR through ethernet/wifi right?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Oh and also it would be great if they could make the Porsche 911 Turbo start at 30 grand. You guys are so funny! Premium products drive premium prices- simple as that. Will never change. You get what you pay for.

·
Vendor
26,603 Posts
This makes me think. Why has LG limited themselves to only producing UHD units when they can apparently produce regular HD units for a much cheaper and more viable price?
The cheaper the item, the less profit is in that product. 1080P will be our for probably one more year then gone forever......

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
Why did you get the JS8500 over the EC9300? You could say they're the same price as I've seen the EC9300 being sold for $1,499 - $2,299. Can't be just 4k and HDR through ethernet/wifi right?

JS8500 is Flat, 4K, HDR capable, HDMI 2/HDCP 2.2 compliant.

Two completely different TV's and only one of them is remotely future proof. I would never buy a TV now spending nearly $2K for something that could not play any of the new formats coming within 6-12 months.

·
Registered
6,600 Posts
I just don't see the point in getting a TV that won't look as good on content distributed today because it might support formats that are theoretically coming within the next year (and will still have the same picture issues with those formats because of limitations in the display technology.)

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
I just don't see the point in getting a TV that won't look as good on content distributed today because it might support formats that are theoretically coming within the next year (and will still have the same picture issues with those formats because of limitations in the display technology.)

Great for you but I'm not going to pay the same or more just for better blacks and sacrifice 4K Native, Flat Screen, HDR, 4K Blur ray compatibility.

And it's not like these LG's don't have their own type of panel issues, they are not perfect by any means.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Great for you but I'm not going to pay the same or more just for better blacks and sacrifice 4K Native, Flat Screen, HDR, 4K Blur ray compatibility.

And it's not like these LG's don't have their own type of panel issues, they are not perfect by any means.
Agreed. Silly to buy a 1080P set at this point in the game just to save a few bucks. Its not going to support anything coming down the pipeline extremely soon (like within 6 months).

This is like people who wanted to cheap out and save a few bucks and buy 720P sets rather then 1080P sets back in the day.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
Agreed. Silly to buy a 1080P set at this point in the game just to save a few bucks. Its not going to support anything coming down the pipeline extremely soon (like within 6 months).

This is like people who wanted to cheap out and save a few bucks and buy 720P sets rather then 1080P sets back in the day.
The irony is I looked at several places and the 55 inch 1080P EC9300 is $2300, $300 more than the 55 inch JS8500 which is Flat, 4K, HDR etc

I'm certainly not going to pay MORE for a TV that is pretty much obsolete as far as features go while sitting on the store shelf.

Maybe if current OLED's had perfect colors, no panel issues, long Panel life I'd be more open to spending more for them but not with the current crop of OLED's on the street.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
The irony is I looked at several places and the 55 inch 1080P EC9300 is $2300, $300 more than the 55 inch JS8500 which is Flat, 4K, HDR etc

I'm certainly not going to pay MORE for a TV that is pretty much obsolete as far as features go while sitting on the store shelf.

Maybe if current OLED's had perfect colors, no panel issues, long Panel life I'd be more open to spending more for them but not with the current crop of OLED's on the street.
You keep saying that, but the 4K OLEDs have perfect colors, perfect blacks, LG has fixed the black edge issue (supposedly), the panel life is really a non issue. If you watched 8hrs of TV a day, it'll last over 10 yrs.

The only real question is if the EF9500 is going to get an upgrade to HDMI 2.0a 4:4:4 across all ports and HDR over HDMI. I think if the set doesn't have that, I might hold off... like you said, no point buying an obsolete set in a hurry -- especially when there is no content yet.

$3000 for a 55" isn't cheap... I don't mind spending that for a kick ass TV though, IF it will have all the current features.

We know the set will do HDR as LG has indicated that, but if its streaming only for this year, that's a fail IMO.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #156 (Edited)
Current OLED's do not have perfect colors, I know you read through the Shootout so I don't see how you can say colors were perfect and they somehow fixed all the panel issues without anyone even seeing a current sample of what they fixed.

And throwing out the $3K price again when the EF9500 hasn't even launched yet and retail is from every known source is $5K? It will be a HUGE HUGE longshot for the EF9500 to hit $3K by the end of the year or beginning of next year seeing as it hasn't even launched yet.

To many unknowns to trust LG right now, did they really fix the panel issues? If so are those fixes going to appear in the EF9500?

We can't even get a solid release date for the EF9500 yet. I think you are going on a leap of unearned faith that LG is going to fix all the current panel issues and get the EF9500 out the door in decent quantities soon and some how get the price down to $3K soon after launch.

Sorry I'm just completely soured on LG's OLED lineup and misssteps, the price tax of OLED and the fumbling they have done thus far with it.

In 4-5 years if more companies pick up OLED and iron out the issues it will probably be a really good time to pick one up, but for right now at $2K the JS8500 is a really good stepping stone to get to that point and still be able to view all the new content in 4K coming out soon.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Current OLED's do not have perfect colors, I know you read through the Shootout so I don't see how you can say colors were perfect and they somehow fixed all the panel issues without anyone even seeing a current sample of what they fixed.

And throwing out the $3K price again when the EF9500 hasn't even launched yet and retail is from every known source is $5K? It will be a HUGE HUGE longshot for the EF9500 to hit $3K by the end of the year or beginning of next year seeing as it hasn't even launched yet.

To many unknowns to trust LG right now, did they really fix the panel issues? If so are those fixes going to appear in the EF9500?

We can't even get a solid release date for the EF9500 yet. I think you are going on a leap of unearned faith that LG is going to fix all the current panel issues and get the EF9500 out the door in decent quantities soon and some how get the price down to $3K soon after launch.

Sorry I'm just completely soured on LG's OLED lineup and misssteps, the price tax of OLED and the fumbling they have done thus far with it.

In 4-5 years if more companies pick up OLED and iron out the issues it will probably be a really good time to pick one up, but for right now at $2K the JS8500 is a really good stepping stone to get to that point and still be able to view all the new content in 4K coming out soon.
I'm not "throwing" anything out there :).

The 55" curved debuted at $5499 MSRP. At that time the flat was rumored to be $4999 MSRP.

Early June, LG announced a $1000 price cut on the 55" model. That brought the MSRP down to $4499 (http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1434347381).

That would imply that the flat will MSRP for $3999.

The curved is streeting for $3700 now.

That would imply that the flat will street for $3000 to $3200 or there about.

Based on LGs sales #'s, you can consider the 1st half of the year to be a huge flop for OLED as they missed their target.

You can bet your bottom $$$ the flat will not msrp or street above the curved.

You are correct though, the "fixed panels" have not been seen in the wild yet :). The other thread just says the issue is fixed and panels are on their way.

·
Registered
6,570 Posts

Please tell me what is coming down the pipeline
I spent 30 minutes on the phone with Direct Tv customer service trying them to outline their 4K offerings

I have to tell you it was VERY poor
Honestly if you dont have a 1080P set and you watching Direct TV...you are still good for 95% of their programming...except the PPV....and think how many years 1080P has been around?
I did go ahead and snag a clearance Sony 65X850B I found for $799

It will only be used for occasional watching and mostly ESPN etc

But honestly...if I was replacing my main TV for 4K....I dont think it be worthwhile
Added to that it seems all the LED manufacturers have taken a step back and dont have true 240hz panels in the 4K televisions

Warren

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Please tell me what is coming down the pipeline
I spent 30 minutes on the phone with Direct Tv customer service trying them to outline their 4K offerings

I have to tell you it was VERY poor
Honestly if you dont have a 1080P set and you watching Direct TV...you are still good for 95% of their programming...except the PPV....and think how many years 1080P has been around?
I did go ahead and snag a clearance Sony 65X850B I found for $799

It will only be used for occasional watching and mostly ESPN etc

But honestly...if I was replacing my main TV for 4K....I dont think it be worthwhile
Added to that it seems all the LED manufacturers have taken a step back and dont have true 240hz panels in the 4K televisions

Warren
DirecTV CSRs are a total joke. Unless you have a billing question or need help programming your remote, its beyond their training. They have ZERO technical knowledge. That's not just my opinion, that's the opinion of the internet in general. AVS is a more home theater forum, but there are 2 different forums that are DirecTV centric where you get the REAL scoop.

DirecTVs current 4K setup is a joke. It only works with Samsung 4K RVU TVs and you MUST use the RVU setup which means you can potentially get double charged for your TV. Yup... that's right -- double charged. Also, they only have 4K VOD now which means you have to have an internet connection and the 4K VODs are like $20 each.

One of the 4K birds is up and running, but no channels yet. The current crop of equipment is not going to work with the new reverse band and transponder bonding, so you'll need to upgrade to the HR54 genie (not out yet) and the C61 client (I think this just came out). You'll also need to upgrade the LNB on your dish (again, not out yet).

Coming out by Xmas "for sure" is UltraHD BluRay.

Netflix and Amazon has some 4K already as well.

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
DirecTV CSRs are a total joke. Unless you have a billing question or need help programming your remote, its beyond their training. They have ZERO technical knowledge. That's not just my opinion, that's the opinion of the internet in general. AVS is a more home theater forum, but there are 2 different forums that are DirecTV centric where you get the REAL scoop.

DirecTVs current 4K setup is a joke. It only works with Samsung 4K RVU TVs and you MUST use the RVU setup which means you can potentially get double charged for your TV. Yup... that's right -- double charged. Also, they only have 4K VOD now which means you have to have an internet connection and the 4K VODs are like $20 each.

One of the 4K birds is up and running, but no channels yet. The current crop of equipment is not going to work with the new reverse band and transponder bonding, so you'll need to upgrade to the HR54 genie (not out yet) and the C61 client (I think this just came out). You'll also need to upgrade the LNB on your dish (again, not out yet).

Coming out by Xmas "for sure" is UltraHD BluRay.

Netflix and Amazon has some 4K already as well.
thanks for clarifying what I already thought

There will minimal 4K programming for the next several years

Warren

141 - 160 of 190 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.