AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here and been reading a learning a lot. What GREAT information!!!

I'm looking for a chart or "sticky" (I did do a search) or article or FAQ, that tells the pro's/con's of the various types of RPTV's. You know, who has burn in issues, who replacment bulbs, good/bad black levels, on the various CRT, LCD, DLP and LcoS TV's. Sort of looking for a RPTV 101 thing.

I realize each individual must balance these for their individual needs and what is important to them. But it is hard for someone like me who is just really getting into it to keep track of which type of TV does what.

Thanks....

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by bw03

I don't know how good this info is but it's a start.

[

Yes, I had found that (probably should have mentioned that). But I was looking for more "real world" stuff. Bulb life length/cost, 4:3 viewing options/quality, video game usage, which sets really suffer from more room light, etc.

Maybe if I say what started this it would help...

I had pretty much decided on a CRT RPTV in the 50" range. This seemed like a good value and picture quality.

However, as I started to narrow down different CRT models and doing research, I realized this may not be the best route for me. This will be a "living room" set (I plan to set up a home theater room elsewhere), so I will have more light and harder to control light. This is where we plan to let the kids use their PS2, so burn in is something to consider. Since we will not have a living room, this will be a family room, living room so it would be nice if the TV did not take up so much room and possibly even go into an entertainment center.

Now the problem is I don't know much about fixed pixal tv's. Plus I don't know how often in real life the limitations in CRT really are.

·
Coyote Waits
27,308 Posts
Look for information through the "Popular" link at the bottom of my message.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by htwaits
Look for information through the "Popular" link at the bottom of my message.
Them are some REALLY good threads. Damm...I ended up reading over an hour in one.

Thanks so much...

Obviously no one is going to be able to tell me which type of TV is best for me. But at least as I learn more I will know what limitations whatever TV I select will have....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.