AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gang,

I got my latest Sound and Vision mag and they had a blurb about the Epson Moviemate, projecting on a garage wall. I did a little reading here and found that another option might be the Infocus IN72. Can any of these under $1000 projectors give a good enough picture on a shaded wall during daylight hours? I'd love to have something for the kids outside, to be used at nite, as well as something that could be used during football season during the days.

Thanks!

Aaron

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
I'm going to say no.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would the "no" be a factor of the budget, or just the fact that projectors are not made to be used outside in the daytime?

If the former, what's the least costly projector you'd recommend? I'm assuming I want to be shopping primarily on Lumen output?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Amhek, donoman's firm no was not sarcastic or rhetorical.

No front projection system can look good in daylight, even in the shade.

Projectors are barely tolerable in a room with a *little* bit of ambient light -- they simply don't work when there is a lot of light around. So, the answer to your question, "No", is simply based on the fact that whatever amount of light hits your projection screen will be equal to the black level. That is the reason that movie theaters are in pitch black rooms with black painted walls and ceilings. Otherwise, the picture looks very crappy (no contrast).

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Unless football games start after 8pm, then no

Its quite simply, take the strongest flashlight you can buy at home depot. Shine it at wall at the time of day you want to watch (which I assume is around 2-3pm). Almost always, the sun will win.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Time for a room addition, perhaps?

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonoMan /forum/post/0

Time for a room addition, perhaps?

Funny you should say that. We've just added a 2nd story master bedroom and bath. Still in the process of finishing that up, along with totally re-doing the kitchen and family room. It's been 11 months now. So no more major renovations for the time being. I can live without a projector.

I may still try one of the Epson MovieMates, etc, and just know that we'll have to host an 8pm game.

·
Registered
968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amheck /forum/post/0

Funny you should say that. We've just added a 2nd story master bedroom and bath. Still in the process of finishing that up, along with totally re-doing the kitchen and family room. It's been 11 months now. So no more major renovations for the time being. I can live without a projector.

I may still try one of the Epson MovieMates, etc, and just know that we'll have to host an 8pm game.

I was surprised how good my projector looked outside after dark.

but it looked pretty crappy before dusk even under the covered car port.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'll venture to say you could make a dent, at least in the shade, outside with 2xsanyo PLC-XF46N. 12,000 lumens each, can stack 2.

24,000 lumens... you still wouldn't have any sort of blacks, but the bright colors might be acceptable, assuming you don't damage your eyes.

at msrp of $18,000 each, I'm thinking the room addition would be cheaper though...

In all seriousness though, it is possible to do an acceptable home theater in a room with many windows... with a bit of dedication. My room has 3 windows and a door with windows *and* its open to the rest of the house, but I can get it dark enough to where I'm happy playing video games. Total cost was about $900 for the HD1000U $100 for the fabric to cover the windows. (then add cables, sound system, mount, etc.) If I was willing to make more sacrifices as far as having it be less of a living room and more of a dedicated theater room I'm fairly confident I could have gotten it "bat cave black"- it just didn't make a big difference as I'm not terribly picky about black levels when playing video games.

About the only thing you can't cope with on a budget is room dimensions. And of course the family's willingness to modify a room- although my living room is still completely usable as a living room.

Feel free to post/pm if you want more info on how I did it- not sure if you have a room you're willing to sacrifi... err, improve... thats the one.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Not to sound like a smarta$$ here but youd pretty much have to have a projector brighter than the sun I would think, and in that scenario you would probably burst into flames if you walked infront of your PJ lense

·
Registered
119 Posts
amheck:

I've tried this with an old X-1 and it was a complete failure. I had it under a dark green canopy and even hung some shades on the sides and back, but it was really not viewable on a matte white screen. Even the dark green canopy let in a lot of light from above. It's amazing how much ambient light is bouncing around even in the shade. I'd really like to try blacking out an area with really dark cloth on the top and sides leaving only one side open to view and see if it works for bright images like a sporting event, but it'll cost a bit to experiment with this and I'm not real convinced that it will work. I have an area behind my garage that is decked that will be a perfect spot if it works. I have a MovieTime and a 92" Greywolf screen that I'm itching to mess around with outside, so I may have a go at it sometime this summer. I'll certain post here if it's at all successful.

GJ

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.