AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you had a short throw fixed lens PJ (1:1 for example) and wanted a 2:1 or more... any way to use an add on lens and any chance that this need not cost an arm and a leg ???

Just discovered how cheap I can pick up a S15U and could live without zoom but not with the 1:1 throw...

·
Registered
768 Posts
I have an interest in the same question. I'd like to extend the throw distance for a Sanyo PVL 60. Does anybody know if this can be done? Thanks.

·
Registered
410 Posts
You could use a mirror. But most peoples rooms/wives wouldn't allow that :)

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Don't mirrors decrease the throw? In other words, it lets you put the projector closer to the screen than you would otherwise.

Here's what you do. Take 2 panamorphs. Turn one on its side. Presto! You've shrunk the overall image by 1.33, so you've increased the throw.

:D

Mike

·
Registered
9,769 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
PP,

Check out Century Precision Optics in California. They have some relatively inexpensive lenses ($600-$900) for some makes and models of PJs. Others can be custom fitted for some PJs outside their list. They have both long and short throw versions...

Thunder (not Thumper),

I believe Sanyo makes a long-throw lens for the PLV-60. It uses the same complement of specialty lenses that the PLV-30 does.

Thumper

·
Registered
410 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mflaster
Don't mirrors decrease the throw? In other words, it lets you put the projector closer to the screen than you would otherwise.

Mike
Man I read that so quick I thought he was asking about decreasing the throw (which is the common question most of the time).

Stupid me!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mflaster
Couldn't you use a mirror to increase the throw also? For example, you face the projector toward the rear of the theater and bounce it off of a first surface mirror toward the screen. You'd have to flip it on the panel, but that would work right?

Brian

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tryg, after posting this I discovered the centre alignment issue that killed the deal... Shame it was a S15 for less than 2k !!!

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by halljb

Couldn't you use a mirror to increase the throw also? For example, you face the projector toward the rear of the theater and bounce it off of a first surface mirror toward the screen. You'd have to flip it on the panel, but that would work right?
This is typically what you would use a mirror for, and this essentially decreases the throw, as now your projector is closer to the screen than it would be if you didn't use the mirrors.

The question is, if your projector projects the right image width when placed 10' away from the screen, is there any way to place the projector 15' away from the screen... I don't think there's any way to do that with just mirrors. Maybe smoke and mirrors... :D

Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.