AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the BD section of this forum.

I have a Hd-A2 and my wife and I have decided that with the movies out there we really want to be format neutral since there are movies we love on both formats.

So we've decided to buy a BD player.

We've got $500-750 we can spend on a BD player.

However has to be purchased from TVAuthority.

Are there any cheaper maybe G2 players on the horizon?

I could get a samsung from TVA but I hear that's not the best option.

I kinda like the philips but there seems to be availability problems with that one.

So can anyone tell me whats comming down the pipe in the next say 2 months? Anything more reasonably priced?

I've already got 4 BD discs sitting at home taunting me(next to about 23 HD-DVD)

as soon as we can get a decent BD player we'll be going on a shopping spree for BD software.

thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Welcome Sky. I don't know anything about TVA but don't they sell the PS3? It's by far the best and cheapest PS3 player you can buy.

The new Samsung has a MSRP of $800 and the current one can be found online for $500, the phillips for $600. The original Sammy is fine from various reports. Not the best but not far off of it either. Of course it lacks a few features that the new model will have.

Is there a particular reason it has to be bought at TVA?

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaj /forum/post/0

Welcome Sky. I don't know anything about TVA but don't they sell the PS3? It's by far the best and cheapest PS3 player you can buy.

The new Samsung has a MSRP of $800 and the current one can be found online for $500, the phillips for $600. The original Sammy is fine from various reports. Not the best but not far off of it either. Of course it lacks a few features that the new model will have.

my wife and I were given a $500 gift card to TVA for christmas so it only makes sense to buy from TVa.

They tend to be HD-DVD heavy but I already have a HD-A2 which I love but there are a lot of BD discs I HAVE to have.

I'm gonna call over there today and see if they've got anything new. I think the philips may be the best deal out there price wise vs. feature but they're not carrrying it yet.

·
Premium Member
26,553 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky042 /forum/post/0

my wife and I were given a $500 gift card to TVA for christmas so it only makes sense to buy from TVa.

They tend to be HD-DVD heavy but I already have a HD-A2 which I love but there are a lot of BD discs I HAVE to have.

I'm gonna call over there today and see if they've got anything new. I think the philips may be the best deal out there price wise vs. feature but they're not carrrying it yet.

Not to look a gift horse in the mouth....but Amex makes gift certificates too. Bundle those with the latest copy of Widescreen Review noting that she acknowledges this money is for your hobby...well then it's perfect.

·
Registered
401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaj /forum/post/0

i would so buy a ps3 in a heart beat for BD but honestly hate using a controller for a remote. is there a alternative to this yet?

·
Registered
152 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickB101 /forum/post/0

i would so buy a ps3 in a heart beat for BD but honestly hate using a controller for a remote. is there a alternative to this yet?

Yes, there's a PS3 Remote you can buy.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Playstati...8&s=videogames

And if you don't like games, you can later sell it and buy a cheap BD player when it becomes avaliable.

You really can't go wrong with the PS3.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wound up calling Cammy at TVA she said they might have some new BD players in within the next 2 weeks.......so can't wait to be format neutral and get to see all the movies we want in HD.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.