AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided not to continue junking up the table saw thread with the CNC talk and figured would be best to start my own thread.

Any CNC owners/users out there? Figured it would be nice to share designs/DXF files here as well as discuss CAD/CAM software, toolpathing strategies, dust collection, hold down methods, etc.

I've recently picked up a (new to me) shopbot 4x8 alpha and have lots of ideas brewing - from arcade cabinets to tapped horn flat packs.
I've recently upgraded from a desktop machine but have a bit of experience now with CAD/CAM as well as mach3 and shopbot control software.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Well Gorilla83, let's try to keep this thread alive.

I'm looking to learn more about "wood" type CNC.

I'm familiar with "metal" type CNC. Here's a pic of my 'lil CNC

·
Premium Member
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by awedio  /t/1521400/any-cnc-users-owners-out-there/0_100#post_24587988

CAD = SolidWorks

CAM = HSMWorks

Very nice. I'm still learning solidworks but mainly use sketchup for modeling. Is your machine for hobby, work, or both?

In principal the wood routers will use a router (hobby or light use) or spindle (commercial) combined with and "end mill" for cutting, engraving, or drilling. Most machines are 3 or 4 axis with dual motors along the X on the larger units. I assume you are already familiar with toolpathing which should be similar between wood or metal.

·
Registered
203 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83  /t/1521400/any-cnc-users-owners-out-there#post_24588112

Very nice. I'm still learning solidworks but mainly use sketchup for modeling. Is your machine for hobby, work, or both?

I told my wife it was "going" to be for work...

I guess it used for some "audio" & "auto" work, mainly hobby

1 - 8 of 8 Posts