AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
subject says it all, given that my girlfriend is not very video-game oriented (she didn't grow up with them so she's not very good at them to put it gently) it would be nice to find a game we could both play together and enjoy, ideally something like a puzzle game or a platformer: does anybody have any recommendations? I think little big planet will be exactly what she is looking for, but it's not going to be out for a while...

Yeah, I know, a wii would have probably been a lot more up her alley than a ps3, but wiis don't play blu-ray discs, so that was not an option for us.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdreamsmaycome /forum/post/12900625

subject says it all, given that my girlfriend is not very video-game oriented (she didn't grow up with them so she's not very good at them to put it gently) it would be nice to find a game we could both play together and enjoy, ideally something like a puzzle game or a platformer: does anybody have any recommendations? I think little big planet will be exactly what she is looking for, but it's not going to be out for a while...

Yeah, I know, a wii would have probably been a lot more up her alley than a ps3, but wiis don't play blu-ray discs, so that was not an option for us.

There are a lot of nice games in the PSN store for $5-$10 that are worth trying out. For non-gamer, I would recommend Rock Band, Rub-A-Dub, and Lemmings. The latter 2 are on PSN so they should be easy to pick-up.

Puzzle game/platformer would be Uncharted, but it's more action than puzzle, but this is a single player game.

I'll post more ideas as I come up with them.

-Splints

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
You could also try flOw, it is cooperative and very different.

For something she might play on her own, I recommend Sudoku. (if she is like my wife you may not want to let her play this, she could be on it a lot)

·
Registered
138 Posts
For more smaller games off the PSN, you may want to try out PixelJunk Monsters which comes this Thursday. Its essentially a 'Tower Defense' style game, but does have two player co-op mode. There's a demo on the Japanese PSN which I've played the tutorial and found it enjoyable (its also in English, except for the credits & copyright info). Hopefully there will be a demo this Thursday on the US PSN. Also, Super Stardust has 2 player co-op. Its a typical dual-joystick shooter ala Geometry Wars, but is easy to pick up and also fairly inexpensive off the PSN.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Pixel Junk Monsters!

Simple yet challenging game. Has 1p and 2p co-op. The monsters are cute I guess so she'll prolly dig it. Addicting as crack. Well worth the 58 hong kong dollars(around $7 u.s.) we paid for it. Available this Thursday on the U.S. store.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Lego Star Wars?

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
LittleBigPlanet and SingStar.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I have said it before: ROCK BAND

$170 is a lot to spend, but it is well worth it. I have found that everyone can find something on it that that are good at, or at least have fun with. It is great for parties and family functions. Kids love it too, my 7yo triplets can't get enough of it.

Other than that, I would look for games that are similar to Nintendo exclusives.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My gf is also a non-gamer, how strange that might sound, but she loved PAIN from the PSN store. Although, might not suite everyone that doesn't have a sadistic side

But otherwise, get Virtua Tennis, offline co-op vs comp or vs each other is great! And also a great party game if you play four players!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance and Untold Legend: Dark Kingdom. Both are dungeon brawlers, kinda like Diablo. Each fighter has a lot of stats and special moves, but you can really get by smashing the buttons. I found Untold Legends for $20 at Fry's, and while it's not a great game, I think it's worth it when playing with another player.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I second the recommendation for Pixel Junk Monsters. The game has an army of bugs attacking the villagers and you have to run around in the forest building towers that fight the bugs. The goal is to put the right towers in the best spots.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts