Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has (or has seen) the new NEC displays, primarily the 42XM2/S or the 50XM3/S. There is little information about these (as far as reviews go), but they seem like they are worth looking at. If anyone has any comments, I would like to hear what you have to say.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Haven't seen the /S yet. I love my 42XM2.

The /S is spec'ed out the same except for the HDCP compliance and one other menu option.

I imagine the picture, performance and operation of the /S models is the same as their hdcp-challenged siblings.

·
Registered
208 Posts
There's this review at Plasma TV Buying Guide. The reviewer really seems to like the PQ of both the Panasonic and the NEC. I don't have any feeling for how qualified or objective the reviewer is, so YMMV.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tetra,

I tend to agree about the plasma tv buying guide reviews. It seems like they are biased towards Panasonic. I would think that eveyone (in this forum at least) would push a display that is hdcp dvi compliant. I do not see where any of these panasonic models have hdcp dvi input.

I can't justify paying another 3k for a top of the line model when there is "just a little" PQ difference. Seeing that NEC is on its 4th generation of displays, it seems reasonable to believe that they should have a good display.

The panasonic TH-50PX20U/P IMO has some real issues:

It doesn't look like it does 720p....computer input only....what's that about?

It does have a built in tuner....adds cost for nothing

It has audio components...adds cost for nothing

When I buy a display, I want to pay for a dispaly only. I don't need all the other options because I already have them. Guess I'm looking for the best bang for the buck.

Thanks again

·
Registered
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ericb101
I do not see where any of these panasonic models have hdcp dvi input.
DVI is optional for Panasonic Commercial Models

All Consumer ED Models have one DVI/HDCP input.

All Consumer HD Models have one HDMI (Back-compatible with DVI)

Quote:
Seeing that NEC is on its 4th generation of displays, it seems reasonable to believe that they should have a good display.
Yup. They're Excellent.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Quote:
Doesn't look like any of the panasonic displays do 720p.
All Panasonic Commercial Models Accept 720p

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Quote:
Doesn't look like any of the panasonic displays do 720p.
The consumer panels do not support 720P on component or DVI, but do on VGA.

The commercial panels support 720P on all 3 input types.

Probably about 800 people have posted this correction while I was typing.

Bill

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bill,

The real problems that I see is:

1. There is no DVI input.

2. Having no DVI input would IMO make this display non-HDCP compliant.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Quote:
Bill,

The real problems that I see is:

1. There is no DVI input.

2. Having no DVI input would IMO make this display non-HDCP compliant.
All you have to do is buy the optional TY-42TM6D DVI/HDCP card

and install it on the free slot 1. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
ericb101,

I guess you really don't get it and you have missed the "BIGGER" point.

1. Based on your initial post- "When I buy a display, I want to pay for a dispaly only." The commercial Panasonic is exactly that- no frills, bells or whistles.

2. No DVI/HDCP- Wrong, you have the option to purchase additional "Cards (Slots)" and configure your Plasma connections based on your needs as well as changing your current configuration to meet your future needs, i.e. "Future Proof".

Now I agree with you that you do not get DVI/HDCP with the Standard Card- but thats the beauty of it- not everybody needs one just yet and the ones that do want it can get it for a nominal charge.

So the recommendations afforded you by the previous posters is correct.

Good luck.

Dave

·
Registered
316 Posts
Quote:

The panasonic TH-50PX20U/P IMO has some real issues:

It doesn't look like it does 720p....computer input only....what's that about?

Lack of 720p on the PX is a non-issue as most STB scale to 1080i anyway. Only an issue if you are an X-Box junkie that likes 720p games and even they scale just fine from all reports.

But then you seem to favor an industrial version anyway as you don't want speakers/tuner and it will do 720p. It's all good.

elvis

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Guys,

That is important information. I never knew of this card. Only thing is, I can't tell if it will accept a 720p signal through this card from their brochure. I would assume that it would, but that is where I get burned every time.

I only bring this up because I see a lot of people discussing the Panasonic models. If they choose the wrong one, they could get something they they may not want. There are plenty of people that probably don't realize this info.....me being one of them until lately.

Now that you brought this info to the table, I would say that the 6UY is definately a contender. Right now I'm torn between the NEC50MX3/S and the 6UY.

Thanks again for your help guys.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Quote:
Guys,

That is important information. I never knew of this card. Only thing is, I can't tell if it will accept a 720p signal through this card from their brochure. I would assume that it would, but that is where I get burned every time.

I only bring this up because I see a lot of people discussing the Panasonic models. If they choose the wrong one, they could get something they they may not want. There are plenty of people that probably don't realize this info.....me being one of them until lately.

Now that you brought this info to the table, I would say that the 6UY is definately a contender. Right now I'm torn between the NEC50MX3/S and the 6UY.

Thanks again for your help guys.
Yes, people should be aware of all these issues. Maybe you're in acute buy mode, like I have been. So, I understand the pressure to figure out all the ins and outs right away and avoid making a decision you might regret. Everyone should take their time and gather all the facts.

I am not familiar first hand with the NEC 50MX3/S. It appears that it should be compared with the Panny commercial panel, the TH-50PHD6UY. They are close in price, although the Panny would require a DVI card. It isn't clear whether the NEC DVI is HDCP compliant. I may be looking at some out of date specs, but the NEC 50MX3 only has 256 shade 16.7M color reproduction. the 6UY has 1024 shade and 1.07B color reproduction. I'm sorry if the quick look is incorrect, but this difference would mean the Panny might have less of an issue with false color contours (banding). It would be nice to compare them side by side looking at something like the Coral Reef Adventure DVD that has some underwater shots looking up at the blue ocean surface with fine gradations of blue that cause many plasma sets to display banding.

There are lots of good contenders. Take your time.

Bill

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
The NEC 50MX3/S is most definitely HDCP compliant.

Consider that it has 3 composite, 2 component (one that also serves as rgb-h-v), one dvi and one vga connector all built-in and included at no extra cost.

It also has programmable anti burn-in functions.

Funny how every thread on this forum turns out to be a Panasonic promotion.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by wblynch
The NEC 50MX3/S is most definitely HDCP compliant.

Consider that it has 3 composite, 2 component (one that also serves as rgb-h-v), one dvi and one vga connector all built-in and included at no extra cost.

It also has programmable anti burn-in functions.

Funny how every thread on this forum turns out to be a Panasonic promotion.
NEC does not mention HDCP compliance anywhere that I could find. It just says DVD-D. Not saying that it ISN'T, I just couldn't find it. I don't own Panny, but I felt obligated to point out the 10-bit color processing the 6UY has, especially since my 8-bit Pio PDP shows banding at times. I did not recommend Panny but said there are LOTS of contenders he needs to examine. The Panny defense is just about the 720P and DVI issues, about which he had jumped to partially incorrect conclusions and launched a multi-thread attack.

Anti-burn in is a nice feature too. I think most of the newer panels have it, including the Panny's, but he should confirm that as well. My 03 model Pio has orbit mode and variable gray/black bars. I use them. Good to point that out.

Bill

·
Registered
208 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Ball
NEC does not mention HDCP compliance anywhere that I could find. It just says DVD-D. Not saying that it ISN'T, I just couldn't find it.
It's right here under "Input Terminals, RGB3", accessible from the 50XM3/S product description page.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.