AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to have a htpc to connect to my 47inch led tv via hdmi. No home theatre setup etc so should be pretty simple. I have a PS3 too, so bluray is settled there.

primary usage

1) Hulu, espn3, online streaming video mainly

2) Web browsing

3) Play games like Civ 5 and Diablo 3(when its out)

4) Photoshop and lightroom for photo editing (also intend for it to store all my photos)

5) Flash and Visual Studio for coding and work

Everything from newegg. Already have Win7 and wireless keyboard/mouse set. Buget as close to $500 as possible.

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F4 HD204UI 2TB 5400 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power ...

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL

Intel Core i3-530 Clarkdale 2.93GHz LGA 1156 73W Dual-Core Desktop Processor BX80616I3530

LITE-ON Black 4X Blu-ray Reader SATA Model iHOS104-06 - OEM

nMEDIAPC Black Aluminum / Acrylic / Steel HTPC 5000B Micro ATX Media Center / HTPC Case

SAPPHIRE 100289L Radeon HD 5670 (Redwood) 1GB 128-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ATI ...

ASRock H55M-LE LGA 1156 Intel H55 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Any comments? I would like to have as little noise and power usage as possible too.. :/

Was considering Mac Mini too but seems over priced for its parts...

·
Registered
565 Posts
I only see one Hard Drive.

I always like to keep the OS separate from Files or Movie-images.

So I would go with a smaller, (Laptop Drive perhaps?) 250 GB for the OS, and then any Size for the Storage.

SSD's are becoming affordable, too.

Everything else looks great.

just my $0.02

·
Registered
13,150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja-vue /forum/post/19558335

I only see one Hard Drive.

I always like to keep the OS separate from Files or Movie-images.

So I would go with a smaller, (Laptop Drive perhaps?) 250 GB for the OS, and then any Size for the Storage.

SSD's are becoming affordable, too.

Everything else looks great.

just my $0.02

SSDs are nice, but not mandatory.

Many report that the Samsung 2TB F4 is actually almost as fast as a WD Black. I think you could easily partition 40-50GB for the OS and use the rest of the HD as storage and have a very nice machine.

But since you want to game on this you might want to get a separate HD/SSD for the OS and games.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, forgot to mention that I also intend to use it as photos storage.

Also using photoshop, lightroom, flash, visual studio on it to application development + photo editing.

I was actually thinking of changing it to a 1TB 7200rpm hdd. Won't hosting 2 hdd increase power consumption and heat within the casing?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts