AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spend most of my time on the "premium" networks, but the times that I have watched the broadcast networks, I can't say that I've ever noticed an ad in HD. Are there any? With the Superbowl being one of the few times that ads are actually viewed "critically", it would seem that if there were to be any HD ads, that would be where you'd see them. I'm not a sports fan, so I really don't know. I would THINK that if the advertisers who were concerned about the image their ads presented, started getting interested in HD, then THAT would help the networks put more priority on it, since television IS a business.

Have there been any HD ads? Were there any during last year's Superbowl? Any news of any this year?

·
Registered
948 Posts
Darin,

Most of the movie trailers were in HD for last year's Super Bowl. ESPN-HD might have had one in HD too. I can't remember any others.

Jim

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
You must not be watching NFL Network "Game of the Week". VOOM ads abound in HD glory. Funny that they get away with that on a "bonus" channel on DirecTV.

·
Super Moderator
18,373 Posts
HDNet runs movie trailers in HD and I've seen the "wedding" series of Budweiser ads in HD, there, too. If memory serves, the HD Olympic feed from NBC had a couple of HD ads, as well.

Doc

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah yes, I have seen the movie trailers on HDnet, forgot about those. As I said, I'm not a sports fan, so I've never watched GOTW. So Budweiser is it besides movie studios? I might watch the Superbowl just for the spectacle of it all... SURELY hd ads are coming, and that would be where *I* would expect to see them cropping up.

·
Registered
14,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Darin
I spend most of my time on the "premium" networks, but the times that I have watched the broadcast networks, I can't say that I've ever noticed an ad in HD. Are there any? With the Superbowl being one of the few times that ads are actually viewed "critically", it would seem that if there were to be any HD ads, that would be where you'd see them. I'm not a sports fan, so I really don't know. I would THINK that if the advertisers who were concerned about the image their ads presented, started getting interested in HD, then THAT would help the networks put more priority on it, since television IS a business.

Have there been any HD ads? Were there any during last year's Superbowl? Any news of any this year?
ABC ran some HD commercials (mostly movie trailers) during the Super Bowl last year. CBS has said that this year there will be far fewer since no one wanted to pony up the extra cash for them.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
By extra cash, I'm assuming they just mean production? Do the networks charge "extra" for an HD ad?

·
Registered
14,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Darin
By extra cash, I'm assuming they just mean production? Do the networks charge "extra" for an HD ad?
Yes. HD production does cost extra at this time. As far as CBS charging extra for HD, for something like the Super Bowl where you will have more people than usual watching, my guess would be yes since you pay for anything in an event like this, but I have no direct knowledge what CBS is doing in it's sale efforts as far as the rate card is concerned (haven't seen one) other than companies are paying between $1.5 and $2.5 million for a 30 sec spot, but that is public knowledge, how it breaks down, CBS is being mum.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I read another thread here asking about HD ads at the Super Bowl. Bob Ross, a CBS executive who is active on the AVS, posted that there would be a number of HD ads during the Super Bowl this year. Do a search and I'm sure you can find that thread. It's been within the last week or so.

Lee

·
Registered
14,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by leewcraft
I read another thread here asking about HD ads at the Super Bowl. Bob Ross, a CBS executive who is active on the AVS, posted that there would be a number of HD ads during the Super Bowl this year. Do a search and I'm sure you can find that thread. It's been within the last week or so.

Lee
I am sure there will be HD ads, but according to the trade rags, there will not be as many as last year and the cost is higher. I can believe that. With a marquee event like this, everyone connected with it will get what they can out of and you can't blame them for it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.