AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.....I just received my RCA DTC 100 HD receiver....and now I have to get a tv...I would like it to be a Direct view tv...but I have noticed that most companies do not include the VGA inputs. I know I could buy a convertor for the vga...to component, but I would like to know if there are any other companies out their besides rca that have the vga inputs on their tv's.

Also.....does buying a VGA to component video convertor effect the picture quality at all?? Is it better not to use a convertor? Will you get a better picture with a direct VGA out to Vga in???

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
One thing both of you are overlooking and much cheaper, the thread poster can buy *any* HDTV he chooses whether or not it has a VGA input by installing a VGA component adapter about $179 from Key Digital.

Say you want a TV that you really like and it doesn't have a VGA input, buy an adapter sending your HDTV what signal it needs to your component input. The oposite of what most people buy a VGA to component adapter to put on a HTPC! :)

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Point well-taken, hob, although I don't like adding any more elements to the video chain than necessary.

To further answer the original question (which is near and dear to my heart, since I use RGBHV into my AF3.0HD), the direct-view HDTV's w/VGA (RGBHV) in are:

--RCA

--Loewe

--Sampo

--Princeton

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys....hey HOB , I have seen different types of convertors on Ebay...the one you mentioned is the best?? Should I stay away from others? I seen one on ebay that was just a VGA on one side and component on the other...No power going to it ..just wires. Is that bad???

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Vinny go to the Key digital website they will explain the component adapter. How it works they also sell the right products.:)

·
Registered
463 Posts
Hello Vinny,

Why spend over $100 for an adapter? You really ought to consider the Sampo. It is a great set that has a vga input. I occationally use mine as a plug and play monitor for my computer. I might also add that this is one of a few sets that does 720p with no conversion.

Good luck,

Paul

·
Registered
625 Posts
I have the Sampo and it is a great set, esp. for HTPC. If a DTC-100 is connected it kind of negates the 720p ability as the DTC-100 only outputs 1080i :-(.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Petteri,

I use the dish 6000 and get all the local digital ota and showtime and hbo in high def so I didn't get that problem.

Paul

·
Registered
63 Posts
RSawdey - Re: the Samsung sets... have you actually seen them, or just reading from the brochure? Any idea when these are coming out?

A 50" set, with VGA and DVI (possibly HDCP), in a DLP format that weighs 80 lbs. at that price point ($4499.99 MSRP) is just too much to pass up... I am itching to find out more about this line (mostly when it will be released so I can see one)....

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I ended up buying te RCA F38310 at Cir City for 1,850...new , great price I thought. I'll give it a try. I already bought the RCA DTC 100 HD receiver. So if I like this TV...it comes this SAT afternoon.. I'm going to sell it on Ebay along with the adapter I bought. Lets hope nothing is wrong with the tv.

·
Registered
826 Posts
A lot of the Zenith sets have VGA inputs.

Ralph

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
The new Panasonic LCD projection set (40" widescreen,

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.