AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you mean a 6-segment wheel or the new Archimedes spiral wheel?

IMHO, from what we've seen the spiral wheel is supposed to be a HUGE improvement in the projector's efficiency. Up to a 40% improvement in light efficiency. Anyway, at Infocomm, the new spiral wheel appeared to be the best new DLP development and I would keep an eye out for that.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I am talking about the six segment colour wheel.

Correct me if I am wrong...but while this spiral wheel may greatly increase light output, is it still in essence still NOT showing all three colours at the same time on the entire chip? That would still lead me to believe that there is going to be rainbow still evident with this design. Now, if they have this wheel going very fast..then that is a different story...

------------------

David Mendicino

Sharp xv-s55u (Don't laugh) :)

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
As the subject states, I would like to know if there has been any definitive, or near consensual answer regarding the new 2x colour wheels.

I guess not enough people have the $$$ or are likely to pay that much for the HT200DM http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

I was hoping that this would be the last straw in my deciding on a new projector, but it seems that the inexpensive DLP's aren't going to be using them yet.

A shame really...

------------------

David Mendicino

·
Registered
835 Posts
PhilB,

There were no projectors on display with the new SCR colour wheel. However, it's a comparatively simple change to move to it from a conventional colour wheel so hopefully it will start showing up soon. The increased efficiency should be enough to put on the fast track for a lot of manufacturers. I heard early 2001, but who knows when it will show up. Definitely not several years away (I hope). On the other hand I don't know how much effort it will take to drive the chips with an image to match the pattern of the SCR wheel, hopefully the new TI chips (at least) will transition quickly.

David,

You are sort of correct http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif It is showing all three colours at once, but only on a portion of the chip. So you still have to cycle the colours to get a full colour image and the rainbow effect could still be a problem. However, some of the samples I saw looked like they were 6 segment/cycle so it shouldn't make it any worse of a problem. BTW the 2x colour cycling *should* eliminate the rainbow for everyone, if many people aren't bothered by the rainbow at current rates, almost no one should be able to detect it at twice the rate. The standard deviations for flicker sensitivity can't be that high!

Regards,

Kam Fung

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Well, I hope this is the case.

While I know that LCD is generally better at colour reproduction, DLP's have them beat in terms of fill ratio and screen door effect.

I am just waiting to find a "cheap" DLP with a 2x colour wheel, or 6 segment, to eliminate the rainbow effect which my poor eyes so easily spot.

Is there any idea when the "lower" end models will begin to utilize them? I am more interested in this than the spiral wheel, as I am content with DLP as it is, with the exception we are discussing now.

------------------

David Mendicino

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
A shameless bump. However, I have just heard from a forum member that even with a 4x colour wheel (240rps) (in the Plus Piano), the rainbow was still visible. This is not a positive thing for those of us sensitive to the rainbow. Hopefully, there may have been some flaw in the wheel, or it wasn't actually running at that speed.

------------------

David Mendicino

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.