AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sitting down to meet with my Creston system programmer later this week. Does anyone have any cool ideas for features which I should have integrated into the system?

In broad terms the system is for a 6,000 sq ft house with approximately 8 audio zones and 4 zones with audio and video. I'll have a few lights controlled through the system (mostly outdoor). No HVAC or security system integration. I'll have about 5 TPS-2000 touchscreens in different places in the house, and a couple of TPS-3500s, one in the master bedroom and one in the home theater. Also a couple of the STS 1700 two-way wireless units.

As an example, there will be a TPS-3500 unit on my night table, and I'll be able to set the unit to have a sleep times (shut the TV/speakers off at a certain time), and with alarm clock functionality (turn on MSNBC at 6:30 AM at volume level 3, increase by one volume level every 2 minutes...)

I'm sure others who've put in major Crestron installations have developed their own cool features... I'd love to hear about 'em.

Thanks.

·
Registered
853 Posts
If you are going this far why in world would you not integrate the HVAC and security?

HVAC is very handy and security with you 3500 can incorporate video cameras....way cool.

Make sure you can view mulitple programs with the 3500 in your theater. Watching multiple football games is cool as well.

You are in for a treat.

Greg

·
Registered
792 Posts
Without a doubt, considering your budget and sleep/wake interest, add at least some Radio Ra(if the house is already built), easily tied to those functions you described.

Thank you very much

Fury

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Texas Aggie
If you are going this far why in world would you not integrate the HVAC and security?

HVAC is very handy and security with you 3500 can incorporate video cameras....way cool.

Make sure you can view mulitple programs with the 3500 in your theater. Watching multiple football games is cool as well.

You are in for a treat.

Greg
The house is already built, so integrating HVAC and security is not as easy as you might think... also, my wife is a bit skeptical about everything running off of the same system. If the system works well, I will probably have that stuff integrated in a year or so. I am getting three security cameras integrated into the system.

As for the multiple programs (football games) in the theater, what additional hardware do I need to make that work? I assume I need additional tuners, but don't I need a device to split the signal into several different "sub" screens?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Srgtfury
Without a doubt, considering your budget and sleep/wake interest, add at least some Radio Ra(if the house is already built), easily tied to those functions you described.

Thank you very much

Fury
Fury -

Sorry, what's Radio Ra? Or do you just mean radio?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Radio Ra is Lutron's wireless lighting control system so since your house is already built there wouldn't be much retro work being done.

HVAC isn't really all that difficult and you'd probably only need new thermostats possibly with a distribution panel by your current HVAC system.

Security may only be adding an interface box if you're using something like Radionics.

To run multiple screens in a theater you don't need anything specific if you're just using the built in tuners. If you want to be able to distribute DSS/DVD/etc... then you'll probably want an AV matrix switcher like an Autopatch 1/2Y.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by GregH
To run multiple screens in a theater you don't need anything specific if you're just using the built in tuners. If you want to be able to distribute DSS/DVD/etc... then you'll probably want an AV matrix switcher like an Autopatch 1/2Y.
I don't understand precisely what you mean here... I assumed you were talking about having multiple programs on my 10' projector screen - is that what you meant? Don't you need some kind of special equipment in order to do that?

·
Registered
792 Posts
Hi Wild,

You should check out Lutron's site, at the least, for Radio Ra. The beauty about that system is that it is very reliable locally,even without Crestron control and very easy to install in a retrofit situation. Your wife will actually like it, as the zones become locally dimmable, if nothing else.

Just curious, but where are you located? How is the lighting that you indicated would be Crestron related, actualy being controlled-X10, other?

Thank you very much

Fury

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sgt -

I will look into the radio ra stuff, and see if it makes sense for me.

In terms of the outdoor and home theater lighting, which will be controlled through the Crestron, I will likely use the Lutron Grafic Eye.

Thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
154 Posts
No, if you wanted multiple things on your screen you'd need some sort of video multiplexer like those made by RGB Spectrum.

Looking at the original message I think someone was referring to using the video in on your touch panel for PIP though I can't remember which panel is the 3500.

·
Registered
2 Posts
In my opinion the coolest features of two-way Crestron panels is hard drive music control. If you have not considered a music server, you should definately get your integrator/programmer's thoughts on this. In a nutshell, you will have the ability, from any two-way panel, to view your entire music collection, create playlists, view the artist name, album name, song name, and genre.

A few other ideas are security cameras with video output to each touchpanel and using a newer DSS receiver as a music source with video output to each panel. The newer DSS units provide cover art, etc. on the music stations.

The other comment in regard to watching two video sources at the same time is to watch a single video source on your main display and a second in the video window of the touchpanel (TPS3000 or TPS4500, I am unaware of a TPS350).

In order to take advantage of any of this type of video switching, you will need a video switcher, the best of which in this type of installation is the Crestron PVID, which when used with the BIPAD8 is an astonishingly powerful audio/video distribution solution.

Good luck!

D

·
Registered
792 Posts
Hi D and Cat,

I have programmed a 4500 to do PIP and Swap functions using the Svideo output from several DSS and a DVD player (Meridian800) all routed through a meridian861. There was some other hardware in there also, like a Snell & Wilcox Interpolator, but the setup is really cool. I am going to integrate an STX1700 to add a smaller remote, allowing control of the 4500's PIP and full screen alternate source display from back in the theater. I am also adding a Request Pro2, which is a really cool mp3 player, if you haven't added that.

Where are you located Cat?

Thank you very much

Fury

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry, I meant the TPS-3000, not 3500. I'm going to use 3000's on my night table, in the library, and in the home theater for control. Wall-mounted TPS-2000's in the kitchen and a few other rooms, and STX-1700's in the family room and other rooms where I want to have remotes.

Hell yeah, I'm going to have a digital music system. Without that in my opinion the whole Crestron system is a somewhat questionable value proposition. I'm planning on using the AudioRequest Fusion 160 meg version and I'll get one "Zone" also in case two people want to listen to different music at the same time. Planning on using FLAC, lossless compression, which is supported by the AudioRequest.

Fury, I'm in Fairfield County, CT.

·
Premium Member
1,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DForce
A few other ideas are security cameras with video output to each touchpanel and using a newer DSS receiver as a music source with video output to each panel. The newer DSS units provide cover art, etc. on the music stations.

D
Hey this is great news. I was not aware of the cover art displayed instead of the usual black screen. Do all new Directv models have cover art now?

And is it for all songs on all music channels? How about those annoying offers to buy the CD? I have a dedicated receiver for music, but the added display will be the finishing touches.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Hi Cat,

Sounds like you are going to have a great system. Audio Request has a beta software module for Crestron that should help integrate the additional zones for multizone/multisource applications.

You have to get some more Lutron gear-the Ra or their newer larger capacity line of RF lighting control. I know where you can purchase a software module at a very reasonable price, should you go with Ra, that allows direct zone (each light) control and dimming functions as well as setting your own scenes (several lghts in a room at whatever levels individually, then controlled by one touchpanel button).

How are things on N. Benson Rd.-spent 4 years at a high school there?

Thank you very much

Fury

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Sgt.

I thought AudioRequest has supported Crestron for a long time - the software is only in beta? Or does thenew software have some additional functionality?

More Lutron stuff is definitely in the cards, but not for a few months. We are moving into the house in early January (date CANNOT be changed) and I don't wanna further complicate the system for the time being. All the outside lights and the home theater lighting will be controlled by the Crestron (via a Lutron Grafic Eye), and then eventually we'll equip the master bedroom, family room and other rooms.

Do you know of any other boards or resources where I can get ideas on features I ought to have programmed into the Crestron? Stuff like the alarm clock, for example.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Hi Cat,

Take a look at Request's site for the interfaces that you are probably going to get and the beta software is explained there. There are perfectly functioning IR and rs232 files for the Request pieces. AS long as you don't artempt to control a Request piece with an X series processor via ethernet, you'll be fine.

As Dave posts, that forum has really taken off over the last year or so. The host, Tony Golden, occasionally posts here and has written the Ra module I referred to-really slick-really, for minimal incremental cost, you could have a room controlled by Ra and interfaced through some slick programming qith your other gear.

Thank you very much

Fury

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Joe,

I have used only the RCA DRD403RG, but I assume the cover art is available from any of the newer DSS units. Cover art is not available on all songs or all stations, I assume they are still building the database. When cover art is not available, the song info (artist, album, song, etc.) is displayed with a screen saver background.

The problem I have had with this particular DSS unit is its propensity to require more frequent hard boots than other units. Make sure to install a power switcher (i.e. Niles AC3-type) to allow remote rebooting from your control processor.

D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.