AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering the Sony 10HT, since (1) I am sensitive to the rainbow on DLP's, (2) projector technology seems to be progressing at a rate such that I have difficulty spending the $12K + to get a good DILA, and (3) the price of the 10HT is such that you can almost decide to trash it two years from now, and use the money you didn't spend on a DILA now (with scaler, hushbox and calibration) to get the newest technology, which we all assume will be better and cheaper, i.e., 10HT now and new projector 2-3 years from now = jazzed-up DILA now.

My problem is that I would really like to try the Sony in my room with my screen first. I will be sitting 12' back from a 110" 16:9 screen (Stewart GrayHawk) and I want to make sure that the screen door effect is not too noticeable. Sometime ago, I thought I saw someone post that they knew an online dealer or some other dealer that would let you try one for 30 days. The only online dealers I know of charge a restocking fee of 15 - 17 percent. Anybody know of a way to try one of these things out relatively inexpensively? Also, anyone know of a dealer that will exchange the unit if you have bad pixels, which is one fear I have about the 10HT? Thanks.

· Registered
779 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by smitty:
My problem is that I would really like to try the Sony in my room with my screen first. I will be sitting 12' back from a 110" 16:9 screen (Stewart GrayHawk) and I want to make sure that the screen door effect is not too noticeable. Sometime ago, I thought I saw someone post that they knew an online dealer or some other dealer that would let you try one for 30 days. The only online dealers I know of charge a restocking fee of 15 - 17 percent. Anybody know of a way to try one of these things out relatively inexpensively? Also, anyone know of a dealer that will exchange the unit if you have bad pixels, which is one fear I have about the 10HT? Thanks.
I think you are right on the nose with your analysis, I had about the same thoughts when buying mine, not to mention that it has been the only 16:9 native projector, which I think is a huge plus for my usage. The only caveat I would consider is that the 11ht is supposedly coming out. The question there is at what price, what availability, and what date not to mention that I have not seen any posted reviews. Maybe others have? If Sony is as slow at the 11ht as they were with the 10ht you could be waiting a long time.

I am using the exact configuration you listed, 10ht, ~12' back projecting on a 110" grayhawk, and I have no issues. I can not see the screen door from that distance but you will want to make sure you go through the 10ht faq to get the blacks better.

Try Medicalvideosystems.com, the first unit I received had 2 dead pixels and I returned and exchanged without a problem. The worst part was it takes 5 biz days to ship from right to left coast. I do not know if they charge a restock fee to return it because you didn't like it. Give them a call they were easy to work with.

Regards,

Brian

· Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Brian. BTW, what is the max throw distance for the 10HT with your setup? One other thing I need to figure out is where I can put the projector. I would like to put it anywhere from 17 to 22 feet from the screen.

· Registered
779 Posts
Quote:
Thanks, Brian. BTW, what is the max throw distance for the 10HT with your setup? One other thing I need to figure out is where I can put the projector. I would like to put it anywhere from 17 to 22 feet from the screen.

Sony provides a tool to figure this out, download pjcalc .

Regards,

Brian

· Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, the max throw distance for my set up would be about 13 1/2 feet. This won't work too well, given that I have a vaulted ceiling that reaches it's apex at about just that point. Is there any way to increase the throw distance?

· Registered
779 Posts
Quote:
Well, the max throw distance for my set up would be about 13 1/2 feet. This won't work too well, given that I have a vaulted ceiling that reaches it's apex at about just that point. Is there any way to increase the throw distance?
sony has a zoom lens that you can use. According to pjcalc it is called the vpll-zm101 and you could go from 23 3/4 ft to 35 feet back with a 110" screen. I have not seen it and I dont know what I am talking about regarding this lens, I am just looking at what pjcalc is giving me. I would call a dealer you trust or see if anyone else has this lens or could recommend another 3rd party lens that might help you. Some final thoughts. You can get a mount that will allow you to attach long pipes, both chief and peerless make sony compatible mounts with pipe extensions (I have the peerless, which I selected because it can mount very flush to the ceiling , which in my house is not vaulted). The 10ht is very quiet but it fan blows out the front, which is nice if you are sitting behind it. I do not know what the noise would be like if you sat in front of the projector.

Regards,

Brian

· Premium Member
964 Posts
Quote:

I'm considering the Sony 10HT, since (1) I am sensitive to the rainbow on DLP's, (2) projector technology seems to be progressing at a rate such that I have difficulty spending the $12K + to get a good DILA, and (3) the price of the 10HT is such that you can almost decide to trash it two years from now, and use the money you didn't spend on a DILA now (with scaler, hushbox and calibration) to get the newest technology, which we all assume will be better and cheaper, i.e., 10HT now and new projector 2-3 years from now = jazzed-up DILA now.

Dear Smitty,

I see from your post that you live in California. If you like, you can visit the Stewart Filmscreen facility in Torrance, about 30 minutes south of LAX. Our Staff would be more than happy to let you tinker with a VPL HT 10. If this would work for you, call 1 800 762-4999. Please ask for Joaquin Rivera in Home Cinema Products. If he is not available ask for me.

Regards,

Don Stewart

· Registered
4,105 Posts
Smitty, I know Don invited you to the Stewart factory, but if you are in the S.F. Bay area, there are a few places here that have it on display.

Magnolia Hi-Fi in San Jose, Golden Pacific Systems in Campbell and there was another in the area that I cannot remember the name of.

Hope these replies help.

------------------

Scott Vonhof
Scott's Site: DIY Speakers and Theater

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.