AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to add another drive or two to my system by replacing smaller 640GB drives with either 1.5 or 2TB drives. What has me scared is just about all the user reviews are showing high failure rates on the large drives. I know that more people who have problems tend to enter reviews than people who don't but it still scares me. The new drives will be used to store ripped DVD's and TV series and the 640gig drives will go on my BeyondTV recording machine. I'm not fond of sitting in front of my computer and re-ripping a few hundred DVD disks again.

·
Banned
350 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyken /forum/post/18147000

I'd like to add another drive or two to my system by replacing smaller 640GB drives with either 1.5 or 2TB drives. What has me scared is just about all the user reviews are showing high failure rates on the large drives. I know that more people who have problems tend to enter reviews than people who don't but it still scares me. The new drives will be used to store ripped DVD's and TV series and the 640gig drives will go on my BeyondTV recording machine. I'm not fond of sitting in front of my computer and re-ripping a few hundred DVD disks again.

Just use a system like Flexraid. It's a software, file system based raid-4. No need to reformat or anything and it even works with external drives.

You'll need an extra drive as your parity drive (same size as your largest one) and this will protect you against a hardware failure.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I really dont think there is a higher failure rate on newer larger drives vs older ones. I really think its damage in shipping. Of the drives I have used the majority failed DOA rather than failure later on although I did have 2 seagates recently fail on me but with a 3 yr warranty Im not too worried. Any drive can go out. I would look more at who has the best warranty. Seagates RMA is insanely easy and quick too.

·
Registered
55 Posts
all drives will fail at some point. Accept that, and then determine a safety net plan that works for you based on expected drive longevity / pain to re-rip.

I chose WD Caviar Green 1.5TB drives (WD15EADS) and they have been great. Very quiet too.

My safety net is a full duplicate set of drives. The backups will not be powered and stored separately, and I'll use an eSATA dock to fill them up initially. I only do movie backups, not any DVR function, so my stored content doesn't ever change.

I know what you mean about the reviews though...I bought a Seagate 2.0TB drive on sale, THEN read some reviews, and as a result still have never even opened the box.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I think it's mainly from shipping and people complaining about it. I doubt theres a higher failure rate over other drives. I believe i have a pair of seagate 1.5tb, WD2tb and a WD1tb and haven't had any problems with drives failing.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I mix brands and only buy one at a time just in case there is a bad lot. Right now I have two 1.5TB Samsung and two 2TB Hitachi drives. I'll next time I'll probably get WD, can't bring myself to buy Seagate, I might take a chance on one after the WD's are full.

Mike

·
Registered
882 Posts

Quote:

What has me scared is just about all the user reviews are showing high failure rates on the large drives.

If you need a big HD, then go for it. If you are really worried about an HD failure then setup some form of redundancy and/or backup. Like you said, people generally only speak up when they experience a failure. There are plenty of people using big HDs with no troubles. It's not like these things are dropping like flies. As for a brand/size, I wouldn't go by someone's anecdotal evidence as to why they chose theirs. I generally buy what is at the best price.

Quote:

I'm not fond of sitting in front of my computer and re-ripping a few hundred DVD disks again.

Buying one brand of drive vs another doesn't really do that much to reduce the possibility of you having to do that. Redundancy and/or backup does.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I have like 4 WD 1.5s in my array. I heard that as well and newegg some guy says WD themselves said that except there is absolutely nothing on the WD site to backup that claim and since that review is on page one I think a lot of people drew the same conclusions. I dont see any reason why it wouldnt work and work well. Its not a 7200 rpm drive but it would save you money on energy. And yeah those blacks are crazy expensive. I looked at them as well just hard to justify double or more the cost of 1.5tb drives for that little extra space.

·
Registered
701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker412 /forum/post/18148491

I thought I read that the Green WD drives were not recommended for RAID set ups is that correct? I've been wanting to upgrade my RAID set up with 2TB Black drives but they're still $300/ea.

They are missing a couple of features that increase the performance if RAID quite significantly, but they are by no means bad. I'll be getting several WD GP EARS drives in the near future for software raid-5.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeEby /forum/post/18148256

I mix brands and only buy one at a time just in case there is a bad lot. Right now I have two 1.5TB Samsung and two 2TB Hitachi drives. I'll next time I'll probably get WD, can't bring myself to buy Seagate, I might take a chance on one after the WD's are full.

Mike

I've got a mix of brands but only because they were bought at different times when they were on sale. I have one 1TB Hitachi and haven't had a problem with it. My other drives are 2 WD 640's and a Seagate 400. I didn't see a lot of bad comments on the Samsung but I've never used them before and us old people like to stay with the brands we grew up with. Being on a tight budget I'd rather not "waste" a big drive on a raid array. Same thing on copying files to other drives and putting them away in a closet. All my TV series are backed up to DVD's and if need be I can re-rip my Movie DVD's.

I've been pretty lucky the last 10-15 years and haven't had any drives go south to the point that I couldn't copy the files to a new drive. I have, on the other hand, lost raid systems due to controller failure. The chances of more than one drive failing at the same time, other than lightning strikes, is pretty low...then again living in the lightning capital of the world you never know. I'm just torn now between getting 1 2TB drive,2 1TB drives or 2 1.5TB drives. I've got a 4 internal drive limit but also have 1 eSata and lots of USB2 ports available. I've got about 200 DVD's that I haven't ripped yet due to lack of space and have been deleting TV series from the drives after watching them so I can add new ones. I'm not into BluRay yet so, unlike some of you, don't have need for a 20TB media server.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtosDracon /forum/post/18149088

They are missing a couple of features that increase the performance if RAID quite significantly, but they are by no means bad. I'll be getting several WD GP EARS drives in the near future for software raid-5.

I wanted to upgrade my 3 750s to a few 2TBs but just can't afford that much ($900). I would have even gone to a 1.5TB for now but they don't make them in the Caviar Black line for some reason.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyken /forum/post/18149609

I didn't see a lot of bad comments on the Samsung but I've never used them before and us old people like to stay with the brands we grew up with.

Trivia Test....Have you ever heard of Kalok or MiniScribe?

My first PC had a MiniScribe...30Mb I think...It would literally shake the desk when the stepper motor moved the head.

Mike

·
Registered
701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeEby /forum/post/18150677

Trivia Test....Have you ever heard of Kalok or MiniScribe?

My first PC had a MiniScribe...30Mb I think...It would literally shake the desk when the stepper motor moved the head.

Mike

Good job making me feel old, I remember MiniScribe. a HDD manufacturer based in the US with all manufacturing in the US and Canada(very briefly as I recall). 5.25" hard drives were great, at the time. I actually have some platters out of a 5.25" maxtor that I keep around just for S&G.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I'm using the Samsung 2TB drives and they work very well.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtosDracon /forum/post/18151379

Good job making me feel old, I remember MiniScribe. a HDD manufacturer based in the US with all manufacturing in the US and Canada(very briefly as I recall). 5.25" hard drives were great, at the time. I actually have some platters out of a 5.25" maxtor that I keep around just for S&G.

You guys be youngsters...my first storage device was a tape recorder. My first hard drive was a whopping 5 MB Seagate. I never thought I'd be able to fill all that space.

·
Registered
701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyken /forum/post/18151778

You guys be youngsters...my first storage device was a tape recorder. My first hard drive was a whopping 5 MB Seagate. I never thought I'd be able to fill all that space.

I never said it was my first drive, just that I remembered the small company. I was stoked when I got to bring home an 8086 after work upgraded to 8088s, sure beat loading everything off of floppies in my apple II.

·
Registered
385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyken /forum/post/18151778

My dad occassionally reminds me when their office got their first computer. It had 64k of memory and none of the guys could figure out how they would never fill that much.

This post probably will consume 64k of resources in a database somewhere...

·
Registered
171 Posts
Directly from WD's site.

Quote:
Western Digital manufactures desktop edition hard drives and RAID Edition hard drives. Each type of hard drive is designed to work specifically as a stand-alone drive, or in a multi-drive RAID environment.

If you install and use a desktop edition hard drive connected to a RAID controller, the drive may not work correctly. This is caused by the normal error recovery procedure that a desktop edition hard drive uses.

Note: There are a few cases where the manufacturer of the RAID controller have designed their drives to work with specific model Desktop drives. If this is the case you would need to contact the manufacturer of that enclosure for any support on that drive while it is used in a RAID environment.

When an error is found on a desktop edition hard drive, the drive will enter into a deep recovery cycle to attempt to repair the error, recover the data from the problematic area, and then reallocate a dedicated area to replace the problematic area. This process can take up to 2 minutes depending on the severity of the issue. Most RAID controllers allow a very short amount of time for a hard drive to recover from an error. If a hard drive takes too long to complete this process, the drive will be dropped from the RAID array. Most RAID controllers allow from 7 to 15 seconds for error recovery before dropping a hard drive from an array. Western Digital does not recommend installing desktop edition hard drives in an enterprise environment (on a RAID controller).

Western Digital RAID edition hard drives have a feature called TLER (Time Limited Error Recovery) which stops the hard drive from entering into a deep recovery cycle. The hard drive will only spend 7 seconds to attempt to recover. This means that the hard drive will not be dropped from a RAID array. While TLER is designed for RAID environments, a drive with TLER enabled will work with no performance decrease when used in non-RAID environments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker412 /forum/post/18148491

I thought I read that the Green WD drives were not recommended for RAID set ups is that correct? I've been wanting to upgrade my RAID set up with 2TB Black drives but they're still $300/ea.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.