AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting to consider designs and ideas for a dedicated home theater, which is not possible in my current home but will definitely be a big part of the purchase decision for my next home (which isn't too far away).

To make a long story short, I'm considering all possibilities right now, and to aid in making some pretty complex decisions, I'm wondering if there is anyone in the Baltimore area (within a few hours' drive of Baltimore) who would be willing to let me and a friend take a peek at their Dennis Erskine-designed theater. I've seen a couple of them on the Web and they look great; I'd love to see how they look in person and experience how they sound.

Let me say in advance I have no doubt Dennis' HTs are wonderful in every respect; it's just always great to see it in person as opposed to looking at pictures. I'd really like to experience an acoustically treated HT to hear how much better it will sound (as opposed to an untreated one), as this will help me decide on a direction when my time to build an HT comes.

Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am also looking for the same thing. They started construction on our new house in Beltsville today and I was leaning towards have Dennis design the HT. I can't wait to get started!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
There is one in Richmond. I dont' want to say who or where since the owner may want privacy, but I've been there and the room is very nice indeed.

I rebuilt my theater and borrowed some of the ideas I saw used there (pic link below).

I know this fellow was happy in every aspect of what Dennis provided.

As for sound treatment, if you DYI you might want to consider using ductboard. It's cheaper and easier to find. I put it on my walls and covered it with a suede fabric purchased from JoAnn's Fabrics. I'm very pleased with the results. The fellow who used Dennis's plans used Theatersheild on his walls, but I think my room is every bit as quiet and good sounding as his room. Both products are basically the same thing -rigid fiberglass. The main difference is the theatersheild product has been tested with numbers published so people who plan this stuff (like Dennis Erskine) know what their working with.

For me the bottom line is how the room sounds. I think the ductboard worked exceptionally well. Sound is absorbed very efficiently and it's one of the first things you notice when you first walk into the room.

It also makes your sound system sound A LOT better.

If either of you are in the Richmond area drop me an email. You're welcome to visit.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Scott,

I have just started to use Dennis and we are in the planning stages.I saw a D.E. theater in person in my area. The theater was great!! But what impressed me more was the details of the blueprints. This is what sold me and some answers of question that I had to Dennis. Remember that unless he is building your theater personally, what gear,pj.room size etc will effect the way the system sounds and how quiet the room is .

Everything is laid out for you in his plans.For what he charges I think it is a bargain.(But dont let him hear me say this). Call around locally and see what they would cahrge you to do the same thing with all the same deatils in the electrical plans,hvac,stage and riser bulid outs. Where the lighting should go etc. Its much more then a quiet room.

If your going to build it out ,Why not do it right from the start. If you don't believe me just read the posts of mistakes people are makng and how much it cost to fix them.

Larry Kosova

Larry Kosova

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guys, thanks for the responses, and keep 'em coming!

Larry, you've got PM.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.