AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem that is driving me crazy and I wonder if you can help me solve it. As I have indicated in previous posts I purchased the HD200 on APR 4th. Prior to buying the HD200 I owned the RCA 38" with built in HD D* and HD OTA receivers. I owned the RCA for 2 years and never had ANY problems.

My new display has no built-in tuners. Since hooking up the new display with the HD200 I am hearing a clicking sound that comes out of the center speaker when in the surround mode and out of the front left and right speakers if I switch to the stereo mode. This only occurs on the local OTA CBS station (13-1) here in Sacramento. The clicking sound is present 90% of the time while I am watching primetime CBS programming. It is never present when I watch 13-1 with other programming. So I don't get the clicking while watching the CBS evening news or other local programming on 13-1.

I also don't get the clicking when switching to 13-2 which is the SD version of the same program. However, the Dolby Digital light on my Pioneer Elite lights on both channels. I can tell that, in spite of the DD light, on the SD channnel the sound is not as good BUT there is no clicking. The clicking is barely noticeable on 13-1 primetime commericals but when the program returns so does more noticeable clicking. I just turned on the 13-1 and am getting the clicking on a daytime soap opera that is being broadcast in HD.

(Note: the next soap opera was not broadcast in HD and there was no clicking on 13-1 but the DD light was on. This must be a big clue. What would be the difference in the audio stream between 2 network broadcasts, one HD one Non Hd, from CBS?)

This does not happen with any other primetime or other HD programming, including HDnet/HBO HD and Showtime HD. So it sounds like it must be KOVR (13-1) but I watched the same programs 2 weeks ago in HD with all the same equipment, except the HD200 and the Display, and there was NO clicking.

I called KOVR and they left me a voicemail saying they don't know what the problem could be. I also waited for the 1.04 update hoping that would fix the problem. I got the update but still have the problem. I then took the 200 back to the store and got a new 200. The new one does the same thing!:mad:

Also with the new unit the system setup says phone connection status: NG whatever that means? The modem is defective?

The clicking is not loud but it is clearly noticeable from 10 feet way. The Good Guys has been great about exchanging the unit but my 30 day limit will be up soon. I like the unit because of the DVI and the ability to control resolution output from the remote.

So is this my local stations fault or the 200's or both? Is it likely if I keep calling KOVR that they can change something in the data stream that would stop the clicking?

I guess the big question is what would be the difference in the digital audio signal sent out with Hd programming Vs other programming and why is the clicking present only on this channel and only at certain times? As I said my receiver recognizes all the signals on 13-1 and 13-2 as being broadcast in Dolby Digital but something else must be going on with the data stream. Can anyone solve this mystery? Also I assume the Zenith 520 would do the same thing since the boxes are the same?

Have the Samsung problems been fixed? (the Good guys suggested I go with Hughes which is the only other D*HD box they sell.) Sorry about the long question but I'm at the end of my rope with this situation and there don't seem to be any good solutions:( Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
18,520 Posts
If it's only on one channel and only when that channel is switched to the HD/DD feed, I'd really surmise there's something wrong at their end. Try a post in the Local HD Reception area. No doubt, there's another AVS member in your area with identical equipment (or close) who can enlighten.

All else fails, buy the station's engineer lunch to come out and see for himself.

Good luck

Doc

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DrDon: Thanks. Unfortunately, that forum has been closed.

I did talk to the engineer today. He doesn't think it's the STB. He thinks it's CBS!He says they can hear the clicking at the station. If they receive a SD broadcast they upconvert it. That eliminates the clicking. However,the 1080i programs are sent directly to viewers......clicking and all.................

I don't understand how this can be true. It seems like if the problem originates with CBS then this would be a commonly reported issue. Instead,I seem to be the only one that has raised it on this forum. He says he has heard it on his Hughes HD tuner and there have been reports of the problem with the Samsung and other STB's. He says he and CBS are trying to remedy the problem. Hesays the problem began in March

and may relate toCBS attempting to convert to 5.1 in the Fall.

It still doesn't make sense to me but maybe someone who is more knowledgable than me can make sense of the explanation. Has anyone else heard any clicking sound on CBS HD programming........even if it's barely audible? have speakers that reveal every detail and maybe the clicking is more obvious when listening through them?

BTW,did you work at KFRC in San Francisco. If so say Hi to Rosco!

·
Super Moderator
18,520 Posts
Nope, I'm the other one. Tampa, Detroit, Cincinnati. But I'll give you a big hoo-ha, anyway.

The HDTV Local Reception area doesn't appear closed to me. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...?s=&forumid=45

Although, it does sound as if it's your local station's problem. I don't hear any clicking through our CBS affiliate and I've got the full-blown DD setup. I'd say it's probably a software issue with their net receiver.

Doc

·
Registered
96 Posts
DOBE:

I get CBS-HD over Dish satellite from WCBS NY. I have never heard the clicking sound you refer to on either true HD or up-converts. Sounds it must be your local station to me.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
People in Portland thread are talking about the clicking sound as well.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Marissadad: Thanks. That is the first confirmation I have had that the clicking is occuring other than on the CBS channel in Sacramento. So either it is a problem with CBS or both Sacramento and Portland have the same kind of local equipment that creates this problem.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Ask the station to check whether their audio encoders and everything else in the audio path are locked to video (color black) sync. Sounds like the audio "clock" reference is not locked somewhere.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
kenglish: Thanks it sounds like you really know what your talking about. As I said this does not occur on CBS primetime up converted material. It only occurs with true HD programming. Would the audio "clock" reference not being locked in affect only HD programing and not the upconverted programs?

It sounded to me like the local station was saying they send the HD programming through to the viewers without affecting it in anyway. As I said above it seems that even the pure HD programming would need to pass through some equipment at the local station and thus the audio could be compromised. Is that where the "clock" reference would come in? Thank you. It's helpful to have access to some expertise.

·
Super Moderator
18,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DOBE
Would the audio "clock" reference not being locked in affect only HD programing and not the upconverted programs?
It would affect anything the affiliate takes from the CBS-HD satellite feed. While CBS does provide some upconverted 4:3 programming on that satellite, most stations do their own upconverts because it's easier to integrate local commercials and promos that way. If you're seeing the "It's all here" promo instead of local commercials during 4:3 programming, then your affiliate is using the CBS-HD satellite feed for its DT transmitter. But it sounds as if your affiliate - like most - only takes the HD satellite when there's actually some HD material on it. And that's when you have the clicking issue.

Doc

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Doc: You're correct. I do get the "it's all here" promo and that's the same feed where I hear the clicking. KOVR does use their equipment to upconvert non HD programs. On those programs I get no clicking. So do you agree that the audio "clock" reference could be the problem. In that case it would be a local not a network problem?Thanks

·
Super Moderator
18,520 Posts
DOBE..

I'd bet if you use Ken's terminology next time you talk to the station's CE, the light bulb will go off and it'll get fixed.

Doc

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
I think I've probably had to deal with every audio problem that we discuss on these boards at one time or another :) .

My latest is a "chain dragging on the pavement behind a truck" sound, which I think is caused by low AES/EBU audio data levels in our system, made worse by dust in the patch panel jacks. It happens every few weeks, and (hopefully) will be fixed when we install a new routing switcher, which "reclocks" all signals.....in sync and at full specified levels.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.