AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to get a similar reply in the past, but didn't have much luck so I figured I'd rephrase my question.



I bought one of the refurb'd 805's and it lasted a week before it died. I didn't really get a chance to try it on anything besides some music and a THX demo DVD.


I did set it up correctly, but wasn't blown away by the sound on music, but I also couldn't get it to go past 94db, so I'm thinking there might have been something wrong with the amp section since it did die. (Using Cerwin Vega's with 92db efficiency.)


I just today told Onkyo to credit me back the money instead of replacing it as I was going to get a HK 354. I love the warmer HK sound, but after reading for the last couple weeks I see the HK's are still having some problems so I kept on reading and ran across some good things being said about the Denon's. After checking them out the 2809 looks good, but in all honesty I really don't use the AVR for anything more than maybe 2% music listening.


So, is there really much difference in AVR's for strickly movies? I mean is DPLIIx going to basically sound the same on all receivers that have roughly the same power? Or is there as much difference as there is with music?


I got the 805 for $398. Since I only need it for movies I'm just not sure it's worth the extra $400 or so to move to the 2809? (Though I think Audyssey Dynamic Volume would be nice to have.)


Help me out pros.


Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
207 Posts
Here is one vote to save your money. The difference would be small and I would give the nod to the Onk if it was bug free. Dynamic EQ is nice but if you listen at reference level it is not necessary.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
487 Posts

Quote:
Though I think Audyssey Dynamic Volume would be nice to have

I would give the nod to the Onkyo too but I think Dynamic EQ is awesome. Very few people listen to a movie at reference volume which means your surrounds are always diminished and the front soundstage is always prominent to some degree.


If you can afford to move up to an Onkyo/Denon/Marantz unit with Audyssey MultiEQ XT and Dynamic EQ/Volume, it would be well worth it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,162 Posts
2809: Reliable

Onkyo: Unreliable, especially the 5 series


Don't use Dynamic Volume. Regardless of how the person who is going to respond to me manages to actually like it, it does not have good reviews as a feature and you're better off without it. Though buying a receiver with it is fine; just leave it off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
487 Posts

Quote:
2809: Reliable

Onkyo: Unreliable, especially the 5 series

Ugh. Whatever. Don't base reliability from one off comments on these forums. 2809 is too new to slap a "reliable" moniker on it. Onkyo XX5's are fine. Denon 2809's are fine.


Dynamic Volume may not be that useful, but Dynamic EQ is very useful as the majority of people who watch movies do not do so at reference and are more likely to watch at -20dB to -10dB.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonoMan /forum/post/15483149


2809: Reliable

Onkyo: Unreliable, especially the 5 series


Don't use Dynamic Volume. Regardless of how the person who is going to respond to me manages to actually like it, it does not have good reviews as a feature and you're better off without it. Though buying a receiver with it is fine; just leave it off.

During normal usage I leave Dynamic Volume off, but it's invaluable for watching movies late at night. I always use Dynamic EQ though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,162 Posts
I didn't say DEQ was bad. I wish I had it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
198 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewS99 /forum/post/15483137


I would give the nod to the Onkyo too but I think Dynamic EQ is awesome. Very few people listen to a movie at reference volume which means your surrounds are always diminished and the front soundstage is always prominent to some degree.


If you can afford to move up to an Onkyo/Denon/Marantz unit with Audyssey MultiEQ XT and Dynamic EQ/Volume, it would be well worth it.

does the onkyo 806 have this feature?
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top