AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My understanding is that the Onkyo TX-SR702 and Integra DTR-6.5 are somewhere between similar and identical. What are the differences between these receivers, if any?I don't really care about features. I'm more wondering about sound quality- are the electronics, etc. going to be the same? Thanks.

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
DrJon,

The Integra version of a product is said to have some higher quality components (capacitors, etc.) than the Onkyo version. I cannot say precisely what those differences (if any) are. The Integra model has A-Bus for distributed audio, an RS-232 port for control, 3 programmable 12V triggers instead of 1, rear IR input/output vs. only IR input, and a 3 year warranty vs. 2 years for the Onkyo.

Eric

·
Registered
70 Posts
i spent quite a bit of time looking at the two. integra claims to test the individual parts (like op amps)and cull out the ones that are outside of a set of parameters. similar to the way target shooters will weigh each bullet and toss out any that are more than slightly different in weight. i bought the 702 to save money.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the responses. OK, so they are not exactly the same receivers, with a different faceplate/name. I wonder if it's worth the extra cash for the Integra. I don't care about any extra features, just sound quality for music. And it's probably impossible to find a place that has the 2 side-by-side to try them out. Hmmm...

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
An Integra dealer is not permitted to sell the Onkyo 702.

BTW, the 703 ships in Late October. It has XM radio capability.

The new Integra models will be available around the same timeframes.

Eric

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by egcarter
An Integra dealer is not permitted to sell the Onkyo 702.

BTW, the 703 ships in Late October. It has XM radio capability.

The new Integra models will be available around the same timeframes.

Eric
Didn't know that- Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
20 Posts
DrJon,

I just had a 6.5 installed in my HT and love the sound, I also have an Onkyo 747 in another room. As previous members have stated Integra puts in High Quality parts and has is in the for front of the 2 companies with regards to new technology. The HT that I bought my system said the While Onkyo is a major backer of Integra, they are free to do what they want. They were "spun off" to develop A/V specifically for the U.S. market in the beginning. I personally bought it for the Video pass through technology that it has and I love it. There are several options in this receiver you can't find at this price point in the Onkyo line, or even a few steps up for that matter.

Good Luck

·
Registered
20 Posts
DrJon,

I just had a 6.5 installed in my HT and love the sound, I also have an Onkyo 747 in another room. As previous members have stated Integra puts in High Quality parts and has been in the for front of the 2 companies with regards to new technology. The HT that I bought my system said the While Onkyo is a major backer of Integra, they are free to do what they want. They were "spun off" to develop A/V specifically for the U.S. market in the beginning. I personally bought it for the Video pass through technology that it has and I love it. There are several options in this receiver you can't find at this price point in the Onkyo line, or even a few steps up for that matter.

Good Luck

-Chris

"The Audience is Listening"

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris7445
DrJon,

I just had a 6.5 installed in my HT and love the sound, I also have an Onkyo 747 in another room. As previous members have stated Integra puts in High Quality parts and has been in the for front of the 2 companies with regards to new technology. The HT that I bought my system said the While Onkyo is a major backer of Integra, they are free to do what they want. They were "spun off" to develop A/V specifically for the U.S. market in the beginning. I personally bought it for the Video pass through technology that it has and I love it. There are several options in this receiver you can't find at this price point in the Onkyo line, or even a few steps up for that matter.

Good Luck

-Chris

Chris-

Thanks. I'm not too into features. Mostly sound quality. Did you ever notice any difference in sound between the Integra and Onkyo?

-Jon

·
Registered
20 Posts
I can't really compare, I have a 5.1 Eosone cube system on the onkyo and a Revel Concerta system on the Integra. The Integra sound is by far better, but that is due to the speakers. I do notice that the Integra effortlessly brings out music through the speakers. I have only had it in the house about 3 weeks. It is in the basement with no windows in a room about 13' x 28'. I played the Phantom of the Opera original cast CD yesterday and was blown away with the new things I heard at volumes I did not dare push my upstairs system, and that Onkyo 747 was $899 8 years ago, so it is not "low end" receiver. I personally would spend the extra $$$ and get the Integra. But your ears are the ones that determine what will work better. Unfortunately most stores won't let you take each home and do a demo for a week or so, so your best bet is what type of componets that go into each and check here at the forum to see what service issues either have had since coming on the market. I have found that when people need help around here with a question of who has had problems with a certain type of product, people will post like crazy, so do a search on both brands a model numbers and check it out.

Happy Hunting

-Chris

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris7445
I can't really compare, I have a 5.1 Eosone cube system on the onkyo and a Revel Concerta system on the Integra. The Integra sound is by far better, but that is due to the speakers. I do notice that the Integra effortlessly brings out music through the speakers. I have only had it in the house about 3 weeks. It is in the basement with no windows in a room about 13' x 28'. I played the Phantom of the Opera original cast CD yesterday and was blown away with the new things I heard at volumes I did not dare push my upstairs system, and that Onkyo 747 was $899 8 years ago, so it is not "low end" receiver. I personally would spend the extra $$$ and get the Integra. But your ears are the ones that determine what will work better. Unfortunately most stores won't let you take each home and do a demo for a week or so, so your best bet is what type of componets that go into each and check here at the forum to see what service issues either have had since coming on the market. I have found that when people need help around here with a question of who has had problems with a certain type of product, people will post like crazy, so do a search on both brands a model numbers and check it out.

Happy Hunting

-Chris

Thanks for the further insight.

Yeah, the people here onthis board are really quite helpful with all my questions. I'm learning a lot. It makes this stereo business even more fun.

:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.