AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be moving out of my current apartment in a few months, so I'm not going to spend any big money on a screen until I get settled. However, the HD1000U is such a cannon that you could almost read while watching a movie, with all the light reflecting off the walls. Any quick ways to counter this?

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by locopablo /forum/post/0

Paint you walls black
I wish I could!

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
build a projection box with black foam boards (spray paint it flat black) protruding out about 2 feet from the wall on all sides of the 16:9 image--can also be accomplished with flat black curtains hanging from the ceiling to floor on the L and R side which can be retracted toward screen's wall when not watching movies and pulled out towards seating position--the closer to you the better, black ceiling tile or black felt affixed to ceiling using velcro tape, and finally black piece of carpeting in front of the screen). As long as you are within the center viewing cone this should really help block out excess light (or just turn out the lights
).

·
Registered
733 Posts
Provided you have good light control, try an ND2 filter. It will reduce the light output (not the brightness or contrast) by 50%. You should be able to find one at a local camera shop or order one for around $20. I don't own the HD1000U, so I'll leave it to someone else to tell you the size you'll need.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huey /forum/post/0

He does not want to spend on a new screen as he's in an apartment.

Yep, just doesn't make sense since I will be moving out in a few months. I've certainly been researching screens though.

The projection box seems like a fine suggestion for the time being. If I had to choose, would I get better results trying to block light from the top and bottom or from the sides?

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Sides. Use the black curtains as it will be easily pulled out of the way when not used and easily done (attaching curtain tracks to ceiling is easier than trying to affix a projection box).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.