AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I put in a DVD the biggest annoyance I have is Menus, Trailers and the odd program itself (Futurama) that seems to be formated in super-jaggie 480i video.

Setting my player 'Video' greatly smooths out this problem, but does this somehow affect programs that are coded for progressive scan from film sources?

Setting to 'Video' seems to make everything look good, is there a downside?

·
Registered
471 Posts
I have not tested it on these players but typically Video setting will interlace everything and then do a simple deinterlace if the output is progressive.

This typically results in less sharpness on film based sources.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well that would suck...

I was recently playing around with a friend's DVD player and it could toggle between Film & Video on the fly, from the remote!

Toshiba missed the boat on this, especially with so many problematic DVDs out there.

·
Registered
13,787 Posts
A2/A3 are 1080i players. You shouldn't have this problem if you simply leave the output resolution @ 1080i and let your TV to handle the de-interlacing job. It's doesn't have sofisticated de-interlacing cirucuitary.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Non-film based content basically looks like crap on 'Auto'. Maybe this is due to some content being mis-flagged as Film-based or some other nonsense.

All I know is that setting the player to 'Video' clears up all the jaggie menus, trailers, and my viewing experience is more consistent from end to end.

This is also critical when the actual program is somehow screwed up (Futurama, Jason X, and many extras).

I've also recently done some A/B testing with film-based content (Iron Man) using Film & Video settings.

I could see no difference with regards to PQ sharpness or smothness, so I'm leaving my players on 'Video' to avoid constantly toggling to avoid jaggies.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] /forum/post/15627911

Non-film based content basically looks like crap on 'Auto'. Maybe this is due to some content being mis-flagged as Film-based or some other nonsense.

All I know is that setting the player to 'Video' clears up all the jaggie menus, trailers, and my viewing experience is more consistent from end to end.

This is also critical when the actual program is somehow screwed up (Futurama, Jason X, and many extras).

I've also recently done some A/B testing with film-based content (Iron Man) using Film & Video settings.

I could see no difference with regards to PQ sharpness or smothness, so I'm leaving my players on 'Video' to avoid constantly toggling to avoid jaggies.

I leave my XA2 in video mode as well. It seems to handle those incorrectly flagged situations and properly picks up and deinterlaces the film as well as auto or film. I have not found a downside for doing this on the XA2. It is almost like Video mode is the real automode.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Are you using firmware 4.0? It broke advanced deinterlacing of 480i material for me (HD-A35), but unlike you, even setting the mode to video has no effect.

·
Registered
13,787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] /forum/post/15627911

Are you using 720p as your output resolution? A2/A3 aren't designed to have advanced de-interlacing functionality. Mis-flaged SD DVDs are quite common. That's why you need more expensive XA2 with Reon HQV to handle them correctly. You should leave A2/A3 at 1080i and let your TV to handle that task.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My A2 is set to 1080i and my A3 is set to 1080p, both HDTVs in question are 1080p.

99% of the time I'm using my A2, which is a long story.

I was sent a 4.0 disc, but it was a coaster. So I'm using the last good build they sent out.

Anyway, I'm confronted with super-jaggie material on a regular basis hense this issue.

'Auto' doesn't seem to be worth a damn, sorry Toshiba.

For example, on the newly remastered Star Trek season sets 'The Cage' pilot and bonus DS9 Tribbles episode are laced with jaggies becasue they were apparently mis-coded as interlaced on disc (per reviews).

·
Registered
13,787 Posts
A3 is not capable of 1080p. Did yo mean A30? Both A30 and A35 failed many de-interlacing test as well. XA2, and its clones, is the only HD-DVD player that can properly handle those difficult tasks of de-interlacing mis-flagged SD DVDs because it doesn't care what flag indicates.

In the case of A2, since you chose 1080i, it's up to your TV to properly de-interlace it unless A2 internally de-interlace then upscale.

If you use 'Video' settings, I believe you will have problem with true film-based DVDs.

·
Registered
13,787 Posts
Anyway, other than XA2, all these Toshiba HD players aren't that great dealing with mis-flagged SD DVDs. And no, leave it @ 'Video' is not an optimal solution either.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts