AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking for a DVD player with VGA out to hook into my X1. Preferably with DCDi as it just rocks. I know my X1 has DCDi but I want the decoding to be done before it's go's analog and to the projector. Are there any out there? thanks david

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
If you want to bypass the internal scaling of the X1 not only are you going to need a VGA output but a player capable of generating the native resolution of the projector.

·
Registered
29 Posts
All you need is this breakout cable and any progressive dvd player (with Faroudja if you prefer, like the Denon 1600 or Panny RP82, XP30, XP50 etc). Hook up the component ends of the cable to the component outputs and the vga end to a long vga cable connected to the X1.

http://www.pccables.com/cgi-bin/orde...les.com&rcode=

I am doing this currently with a 50ft VGA cable and the results are very good.

·
Registered
548 Posts
That's a great site. I clicked over to there and found an adapter I had long been looking for. I needed somthing that would allow using a VGA monitor with a regular RCA output. They had it (part no 85501)

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not sure I understand the break out cable. I'm assuming that if the DVD player had VGA out then all I need is a standard VGA cable like the one that came with my X1. Then I just hook it up and the X1 takes a progressive image from the DVD though the VGA input into the X1 and scales it @ 1:1 800x450. I have both Cables from Infocus the Component to VGA and the Component to S-Video. The Component to S Video blows away my Component to VGA (I have a Sony N700P DVD and the deinterlacing just sucks - at least compared to the Faroudja, but the colors are great) so I figure the best Stand alone DVD Player would be one with the Faroudja chip and the deinterlacing would be done while it's digital and it would be better than what I have now through the S-Video. I'm not apposed to spending $750 - $1,000 and I would even consider the HTPC route if I thought it would look better than a top of the line stand alone DVD player with a Faroudja chip. If one of the Pannys above or The Denon could be had for $250 and the HTPC was $800 or more and the difference wasn't noticeable then I'd scratch my head for a month wondering. With the HTPC I also get a full blown computer to surf the net on if I chose to. Is a HTPC with PowerStrip hands down the best DVD player in terms of image output. I am also getting a STB the new Sony 300 thats due out soon. Am I better off putting $1300 in to a HTPC ( I heard they have HDTV Decoders that you can put in side of them then I could record HDTV right? If I could record HDTV get a great Video Card and Decode HDTV and the best DVD player there is - all in a HTPC for $1500 then I would Probably do that as apposed to $699 for STB and $499 for High end DVD player and I still don't get to record HDTV. But if the HDTV Decoder that are made for the PC are cheap( Quality Wise) and it didn't properly or reliably decode( ie Just caused me more problems) then I'd been better off going with a stand alone STB. What it boils down to is I'm getting ready to spend $1200 to $1500 whats the best way to spend it. I watch a lot of DVDs and will be watching OTA HDTV- not cable or Dish. Thanks for the replies above david

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.