AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning on purchasing GWIII 42" when it becomes available in the next couple of weeks. Browsed DVD forum but wondered from those with GWII or similar TVs.....What's the best DVD player from a PQ standpoint? Probably will not get a DVI DVD player for a couple of reasons, most notably that my DVI input will be used for HDTV.

Should I just decide based on features or do some offer better PQ?

I assume progressive scan and can evaluate the features fine, just wonder about PQ differences. Will probably get a DVD changer.

THANKS!

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
From what everyone who has tried a DVI DVD player on a fixed pixel display, the picture is better than with a non DVI player.

Others have suggested going with a DVI player and a switcher.

Since you've got a few weeks, you might want to wait and see if anyone comes out with a DVD player that has a pass through DVI input similar to the way the current machines handle cable signals.

·
Premium Member
10,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JimP
From what everyone who has tried a DVI DVD player on a fixed pixel display, the picture is better than with a non DVI player....
Not everyone. I would not get one for these TV's. Scaling the signal with the Sony is better than doing it twice. 480p performance with a 4:3 image was very poor on the GWII. Here are my observations:

V Inc. On GWII

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
I stand corrected. Sorry. I should have said, "in most instances" a DVI player on a fixed pixel display gives a better picture,(except in test performed by UMR with the V-1 on the GW II).

In any event, the full digital pathway on the GWIII, may give you different results. Your best bet is to find one in a store and compare the DVI vs. non DVI.

·
Premium Member
10,419 Posts
Assuming the GWIII analog performance is similar to the GWII there is very little performance improvement available. This assumes you are willing to tweak the analog input and remove the excessive filtering and increase the input signal bandwidth. The benefits of DVI for DVD DVD playback on this set are more placebo than anything else.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.