AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been waiting for a DVD player with either 540p or 1080i output b/c my tv (mits 60") displays 480p in 4:3 (or 3:4) and so progressive scan means a significant loss in scan lines vs 480i which can be displayed 16:9 or 4:3. So are there any players that can do this. I know that the JVC has a scaler in it, but I am not sure if that is just scaling the image to fill the 480p screen or that the scaler can scale the output to different resolutions. Thanks A LOT!!

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Is your mits 60" 16x9 or 4:3? If it is in 16x9, then all 480p players will work just fine on 16x9 enhanced material. The problem is when you want to watch 4:3 or letterbox (non-16x9 enhanced.) You can still watch, but everything will be stretched.

1080i/540p will not solve that.

You would never ever want to convert 480p to 1080i, it will not look as good. The interlaced artifacts is why p is better than i.

What is the model # of your mits?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'd like a DVD player that is easily switchable between 480p and 540p. Here's why. My RPTV is a Mits 50" 4:3 set. When it sees a 480p signal it locks into 4:3 mode. When it sees a 1080i/540p signal it locks into 16:9 mode.

When playing an anamorphic DVD I'd like to put the player into 540p mode. The RPTV will see this as 1080i and lock in 16:9 mode. The picture looks wonderful this way. I know this based on using a HTPC with 540p output. Much better than 480p with downsampling to fit a 16:9 area.

When I'm playing a 4:3 DVD I'd put the player into 480p mode. The RPTV locks into 4:3 mode and the resulting screen shape is correct and the picture is quite nice.

I can do all this with an HTPC but I'd love to have a simple standalone DVD player that did it directly.

This goal can be achieved in three ways that I know of:

1. Get a scaler that will scale 480i or 480p to 540p. Feed the dvd output into the scaler and let it do the work. This can be pricey.

2. Use a HTPC. You get great results but it's not as user friendly as a standalone DVD player IMHO.

3. Get your DVD player modified with the Cinematrix PSM-1. It can be configured to output 540p.

I've tried the first two with various results. I haven't tried the last option.

Joe

·
Registered
87 Posts
I am also dreaming of a player that can output 540p.

Is there ANY chance that we may tweak the XBOX to output either 540p or 1080i? I am sure we'll be able to answer this more over the next couple weeks. I am just pissed off at MS for not incorprating this into their machine...

Only reason why I want this is b/c my tv won't do anamorphic squeeze without receiving HD signal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.