AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any DVD recorder currently available that will also play DVD-Audio and SACD discs?


Or at least one that will play DVD-Audio as well as record?


I've gone to every manufacturer's site I could think of, and searched, and come up empty handed. I'd like to replace my JVC that I use to listen to DVD-Audio. My PS3 can play SACD, if I can get the remote to work with SACDs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,308 Posts
DVD recorders face some price resistance worldwide, but nowhere is that resistance stronger than the USA. The very last thing any mfr wants to do is increase the cost of its recorders by adding decoders for the moribund DVD-A or SACD audio formats. Outside of Japan itself, high end audio is deader than dead, so I don't think you will find this feature in any DVD recorder, at least not in a current North American model.


The makers of DVD recorders speak with a forked tongue, and many consumers (in the US particularly) cannot wrap their minds around the fact that DVD recorders are NOT meant by their makers to be the only optical disc reader in the home entertainment system. While on the one hand the mfrs of DVD recorders position them as the be-all and end-all, on the other they fully expect you to *also* buy a dedicated DVD *player* in order to get full compatibility with all flavors of DiVX, and high-end audio if you want it and are willing to pay for it. The recorders these days are built to a price, and primarily for recording use only. For complete playback flexibility, you need to also buy a player (or a PS3 gaming system). It sucks, but that's how it works.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,609 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder18 /forum/post/14325077


My Panasonic DMR-ES15 plays DVD-Audio discs.

So does mine, but only 2-channel. I don't believe there are any DVD Recorders that have 5.1ch outputs for DVD-Audio (or SA-CD). The ES25 doesn't have 5.1ch outputs but it may (I'm not sure) do 5.1 over HDMI for DVD-Audio. Also should note that Panasonic players won't support SA-CD because they went down the DVD-Audio path exclusively.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Too bad the current batch on their web site doesn't have any that support DVD-A.


Looks like I'll have to buy a simple DVD recorder and have three separate optical disc players hooked up to my HT. Seems so wasteful.


Maybe I'll explore a few stores to see what's on their shelves.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,294 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by navychop /forum/post/14326528


Too bad the current batch on their web site doesn't have any that support DVD-A.


Looks like I'll have to buy a simple DVD recorder and have three separate optical disc players hooked up to my HT. Seems so wasteful.


Maybe I'll explore a few stores to see what's on their shelves.

Leave recording to the recorders and playback to the players. If you want DVD-A and SACD playback, look into an Oppo 981HD and get a top of the line upconverting DVD-player that also plays DVD-Audio and SACD. From the specs. it basically plays everything except Blu-Ray.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you. Two excellent choices. Ram- any idea what they mean by " It's a must to use the OSD prior to listening to SACD or DVD-A discs because you have to change two settings to play these types of discs."?


I'll probably buy a cheap DVD recorder today, and peruse the players later.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by navychop /forum/post/14329242


Ram- any idea what they mean by " It's a must to use the OSD prior to listening to SACD or DVD-A discs because you have to change two settings to play these types of discs."?

Not sure. If you ask over in the CD Players forum I'm sure they could tell you exactly what they mean.


That's actually where I saw the Elite deal mentioned.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldorfSalad /forum/post/14326488


So does mine, but only 2-channel. I don't believe there are any DVD Recorders that have 5.1ch outputs for DVD-Audio (or SA-CD). The ES25 doesn't have 5.1ch outputs but it may (I'm not sure) do 5.1 over HDMI for DVD-Audio. Also should note that Panasonic players won't support SA-CD because they went down the DVD-Audio path exclusively.

I realize I am responding to an old thread but I am hoping someone can tell me if the DMR-ES25 plays 5.1 DVD Audio over HDMI. I just got a new Denon AVR-4310CI and hooked up the Panny by HDMI and it appears to be playing DVD Audio 5.1 mixes through the HDMI. The player lets me select the 5.1 DVD Audio mix. The receiver indicates that the input audio signal is:

Surround Mode Multi Ch In

Signal PCM

fs 96kHz

Format 3/2/.1


The manual indicates that it will only playback DVD Audio in 2 channel. However, later in the manual it indicates it will only play 2 channel if connected using the optical out and makes no statement regarding HDMI connections.


If appears that I can now listen to my DVD Audio discs in 5.1 somewhere other than my car. If it is playing DVD Audio 5.1, then this is a real unexpected bonus from picking up the new receiver.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,579 Posts
Yes the ES-25(which I have) is capable of outputting 5.1 over HDMI, it's the way I have mine hooked up. I really haven't played with getting 5.1 out of it's optical output, but I would think it would work, otherwise what would be the advantage of the optical out?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff /forum/post/18387917


Yes the ES-25(which I have) is capable of outputting 5.1 over HDMI, it's the way I have mine hooked up. I really haven't played with getting 5.1 out of it's optical output, but I would think it would work, otherwise what would be the advantage of the optical out?

Thanks for your response. I knew that the recorder handled 5.1 for DD and DTS (for example, movie DVDs) on the HDMI, coaxial or optical outputs. I also knew that the recorder only output 2 channel for DVD Audio when connected to a receiver using either the coaxial or optical outputs.


What I didn't consider before I got my new receiver was the possibility that I could output DVD Audio 5.1 using the HDMI connection. It appears that the recorder does output 5.1 DVD Audio through the HDMI and that is an unexpected bonus.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top