AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a combo they like with a good Zoom 1,2 feature? I have an old Onkyo that has a great 2 step zoom. I'm looking for one with HDMI and plays both DVD/VHS tapes. Most of these feature seem gone on new players.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmechnet /forum/post/16917536

Does anyone have a combo they like with a good Zoom 1,2 feature? I have an old Onkyo that has a great 2 step zoom. I'm looking for one with HDMI and plays both DVD/VHS tapes. Most of these feature seem gone on new players.

Some DVD players and most modern TVs have the ability to adjust aspect ratios or zoom the picture.

DVD players are for playing DVDs. Since DVD recorders are rapidly disappearing from the marketplace many folks use DVD recorders only for recording DVDs, leaving playback duty to DVD players. This practice prolongs the useful life of DVD recorder laser assemblies and other internal parts. DVD Drives used in DVD recorders may be very expensive to replace. A decent DVD player may be purchased for as little as $40.

With the transition to digital and the resulting inability of recording digital signals to videotape, VHS/DVD combo recorders have become obsolete.

The best method to transfer videotapes to DVD is to connect a VCR to an input on a DVD recorder or HDD/DVD recorder and record from that input. The advantage of HDD/DVD recorders is that the material may be transferred to hard drive, edited (if one wishes), and high-speed dubbed to DVD, a far better arrangement than direct dubbing from videotape to DVD.

These matters are regularly addressed in great detail in this forum. Another poster asked the same question about a combo recorder with the zoom playback function. Start with this post and follow the discussion forward:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post15786475

1 - 2 of 2 Posts