AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
curious to what Artisan has cooked us "especially for home cinema fans" :D ( as they put it in their announcement ).

anyway, my box is ordered since a long time.

"I'm coming to get you!" :)

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
My fear is their putting a pan & scan version on the same disc as the widescreen version will mean artifacts. Artisan is not known for their encoding and all too frequently, their single layered transfers suffer from compression problems. I'll not be buying these anyway, since I have the older DVD's AND because Artisan is supporting D-VHS. :cool: I'll have one of those machines by this time next Summer and will be saying ba-bye to DVD from the D-Theater supporting studios.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
argh! Matt! :)

yeah, but I ain't got the cash to upgrade to DVHS tapes, deck and HDTV super high def projector :D right now.

too bad indeed they don't probably use the other side for that crap pan and scan. looks like they do it " Ã* la MGM" too pffffffff........

·
Banned
3,752 Posts
I have the new trilogy set but have only watched First Blood and sampled Part II. All the discs are formatted as DVD-14 with the widescreen transfer and supplements on the dual layer side and the fullscreen transfer on the single layer side.

In the case of First Blood, this new transfer is a visible improvement over the previous version which wasn't a bad disc to begin with. Indeed, there is little to distinguish this new transfer from a brand new movie.

Once I can get through the rest of the set, I'll be posting a review at my site.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hi Robert

thanks for the update of info, this looks to tame our fears, especially since the P&S version is on the other side thus and minimal supplements on side A ( since disc nr 4 contains the bulk of the supplements ).

·
Registered
833 Posts
Hi Obi,

Hope you are well!

I have just written this in the Usual Suspects thread and it completely fits here:

Quote:
But the P&S and WS on one side with extras on other side, thus DVD 14, that i have seen on about 5 MGM titles now, has to stop. All of those i have seen (Jeepers, Legally Blond, ...) have way too much compression problems. A huge step backwards for MGM, compared to their Hannibal etc. efforts.

Interesting that 'Bandits' was a DVD18, i think. WS and some extras on side one, P&S and probably the same extras on side 2. Since the WS occupies a dual layer side, like most normal movies, the PQ is much better than their recent DVD14 titles.

Doing it the Bandits way is almost optimal. The way they should really do it, is a DVD18 with WS on side one, *movie only*, using the whole dual layer side A. And P&S slightly stronger compressed with the extras on side B.

Thats the only way everyone would win. And i don't mind the P&S casual viewers would mind the slightly higher compression. Even if there is quite an amount of extras, using half of the dual-layer space, then the P&S transfer would still have the around 5GB, just they have on the current DVD14's anyway.
Now, the one possibility i forgot is the one you now mention is done on the Rambo discs. DVD14 with normal dual-layer WS with extras on side A and P&S singl-layer on side B. Thats almost as good as my DVD18 proposal. The question is, does DVD14 still have considerable advantages of cost and yield over DVD18. Do you know?

Best regards

Bjoern

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Quote:
All the discs are formatted as DVD-14 with the widescreen transfer and supplements on the dual layer side and the fullscreen transfer on the single layer side.
That is excellent news.

But I am still going to wait fo D-VHS. :)

·
Banned
3,752 Posts
Quote:
...does DVD14 still have considerable advantages of cost and yield over DVD18. Do you know?
I don't know how "considerable" the cost/yield stacks up between DVD-14 and DVD-18. I do know that WAMO (Warner) is still the only manufacturer that can press DVD-18 in large quantity, but even their capacity is much less than either a DVD-5 or 9. Production lead times when using DVD-18 are much longer due to the time it takes to replicate large quantities.

I would surmise DVD-14 yields are somewhat higher as MGM has been using this format for a number of releases in the past year and now Artisan is using it for a high profile release like the Rambo trilogy.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.