Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I was recently debating about getting more serious into home theater and educating myself as a videophile, so I'm thinking about taking the ISF seminar around my area and possibly getting a cert off of it. There's only so much I can do with Video Essentials and the Avia guide...

There doesn't seem to be any "class" offered by colleges in my area (Berkeley, Stanford, Santa Clara University etc.) I can take that would satisfy my interests, hence my decision to take the ISF seminar.

It seems *somewhat* pricey for a two-day class to be 1k, with additional equipment purchases of 1k-2k as well, so I was wondering what other people's experience of getting an ISF cert was? Also, anybody consider cheaper alternatives?

As a clarification, I'm not intended on providing calibration as a profession, though as a student (grad student, Stanford MS&E) it's tempting to earn some cash while learning about stuff I'm fascinated about. I suppose I shouldn't complain about the pricing much since I am spending copious amounts of money on HT equipment and tuition...

Any comments/thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks all!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was actually thinking the same thing.

I mean why not - it's something you should do to your TV anyway. And, shouldn't you have your TV ISF calibrated every couple of years?

thoughts?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, exactly my thoughts.

Though, since classes are $950 and a calibrator is another 1k or so, it'll be about 2k expenses total... which is why I haven't decided to get an ISF cert...

Anybody else?

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I think it's a good idea if you're serious and you have the time. The best ISF techs not only have the certification and equipment - they have the experience of working on hundred of sets - and the incentive to keep up with the newer technologies and sets as they become available.

It takes more than a diploma and a toolbox.;)

·
Registered
845 Posts
Very true Mit07, I have been providing services to various tech's from ISF grads to enthusiasts. I am in the process of finishing my training room in Monterey, CA. We will have various sets to work on, including a Runco VX5000ci on an 80" screen. All calibrators should know what a reference picture looks like, and we will be set up to provide it. I am also planning to have a Sammy 507, and I have yet to decide on what kind of Plasma. These trainings will be available to ISF tech's and enthusiasts alike, and what we really hope for is corporate accounts with CC, BB, Magnolia and the like. The remarks that get posted here, of everyone's experiences in these stores might be all the advertising that I need :)

·
Registered
916 Posts
I signed up for the NYC class last month, both for personal interest and as resume-padding (looking to maybe make a move from DB/System Integration work to something in digital media). Unfortunately, the blackout put the kabash on my plans, and it won't be coming around to the NE again until next year... :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.