AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone has any experience with the Fiio X3 or X5 music players? I'm looking for a HQ iPod alternative. I have a pair of Sennheiser HD598 and can definitely hear the difference between some devices.

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
I only have experience with the X1, and for it's price [$100] I'll take it over any iPod. The new X3 looks like the X1 and have the same UI as well, but it have a more beefed up headphone amp, and have native DSD decoding as well, in case that is important to you. For $200 that might be a sweet spot. There is a review of it on Head-Fi that compares all three.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-x3-2nd-gen-ultraportable-hi-res-dap/reviews/12744

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Got the newest version this past weekend the x3ii and like it quite a bit. Nice build fits in the palm of my hand. Setup was a breeze. I have an Ipod Classic that is still in use in my car but this device sounds better, plus it plays a lot of file types at various resolutions and handles them all. The one drawback is that to hear it at it's best you need good headphones, but that's not a bad drawback to have. There is a lot more from users of all the Fiio models on head fi. Well worth checking out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Wondering if anyone has any experience with the Fiio X3 or X5 music players? I'm looking for a HQ iPod alternative. I have a pair of Sennheiser HD598 and can definitely hear the difference between some devices.
I've been using the FiiO X5 for some months now - the sound is superb on every form of music. I run these through Grado headphones (SR80i and SR 325) without amplification.
I try to get the highest quality music files that I can - because the unit can handle them and they sound superb.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a Sony STRDH750 and am intrigued that it can decode hi res audio. I currently have a few lossless albums that I've purchased from HDTracks, but have waited to pull the trigger on a dedicated DAP. I'm considering the FiiO X3. Is there a way to connect this DAP to the STRDH750? Once that's done, will the receiver automatically decode the hi res music, or will I need to adjust some settings? Appreciate any feedback.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I have a Sony STRDH750 and am intrigued that it can decode hi res audio. I currently have a few lossless albums that I've purchased from HDTracks, but have waited to pull the trigger on a dedicated DAP. I'm considering the FiiO X3. Is there a way to connect this DAP to the STRDH750? Once that's done, will the receiver automatically decode the hi res music, or will I need to adjust some settings? Appreciate any feedback.
There are two ways to connect to your receiver. 1. Mini jack and Y stereo cable. Mini jack goes to the headphone jack the Y cable stereo to your receiver. Volume control would be thru the Fiio. 2. There is a separate line out that handles a coaxial cable. Need to change a setting on the Fiio to switch to the line out. In both cases the Fiio acts as a DAC and does the decoding although in scenario 2 you lose the ability for DSD playback since it cannot be output over coaxial.

·
Registered
30 Posts
There are two ways to connect to your receiver. 1. Mini jack and Y stereo cable. Mini jack goes to the headphone jack the Y cable stereo to your receiver. Volume control would be thru the Fiio. 2. There is a separate line out that handles a coaxial cable. Need to change a setting on the Fiio to switch to the line out. In both cases the Fiio acts as a DAC and does the decoding although in scenario 2 you lose the ability for DSD playback since it cannot be output over coaxial.
A user on another board suggested copying the music files to a USB device and running the audio via USB. I tried this with a flash drive, but got a message "Not supported." Not sure if it's referring to the music files (.wav - so the onboard DACs should have no problems) or the flash drive itself. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
A user on another board suggested copying the music files to a USB device and running the audio via USB. I tried this with a flash drive, but got a message "Not supported." Not sure if it's referring to the music files (.wav - so the onboard DACs should have no problems) or the flash drive itself. Any thoughts?
How is the flash drive formatted? I read thru the Sony manual for playback via USB and it said NTSF is not supported. Also said if not recognized at first to disconnect the USB drive turn off the receiver then turn back on and plug in again. If you have another flash drive on hand put some files on that and give it a shot. According to the manual WAV files should play but first check to see how the drive is formatted. Sony products can be very finicky. I stopped using my PS3 as a media device because there were too many formats that it didn't support. Just use it to play blu ray discs.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
One last thing take a look at the new Sony Walkman line particularly the NWZ- A17. It plays just about everything and does blue tooth. A friend of mine has one and she loves it. Worth a look and would more than likely work very well with your receiver.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I have the FIIO X3II and it connects just fine to both of my receivers - Yamaha rx-v577 and Pioneer sc-1224. I'm using the line/coax out of the FIIO and DSD playback is supported. I use the phono jack (trrs) to rca female converter supplied by FIIO and proceeded to use normal rca cable (male-male) to connect to coax in of the receiver. FIIO suggests to use coax cable and I too tried that but to my ears, the SQ maybe slightly better than normal rca cable. Your player settings are important too! These are my settings:

1) Multifunctional outputs : Coax out
2) SPDIF out : D2P (this is important for hearing DSD files. If you use DoP, only PCM (flac, mp3, wav...) can be heard. So, use D2P!!)

Volume is controlled by the receiver this way and I wouldn't recommend connecting to the receiver via FIIO phone jack because there could be double amping (FIIO volume + Receiver volume) and the SQ could be affected and clipping might occur.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I have the FIIO X3II and it connects just fine to both of my receivers - Yamaha rx-v577 and Pioneer sc-1224. I'm using the line/coax out of the FIIO and DSD playback is supported. I use the phono jack (trrs) to rca female converter supplied by FIIO and proceeded to use normal rca cable (male-male) to connect to coax in of the receiver. FIIO suggests to use coax cable and I too tried that but to my ears, the SQ maybe slightly better than normal rca cable. Your player settings are important too! These are my settings:

1) Multifunctional outputs : Coax out
2) SPDIF out : D2P (this is important for hearing DSD files. If you use DoP, only PCM (flac, mp3, wav...) can be heard. So, use D2P!!)

Volume is controlled by the receiver this way and I wouldn't recommend connecting to the receiver via FIIO phone jack because there could be double amping (FIIO volume + Receiver volume) and the SQ could be affected and clipping might occur.
Noticed that with the latest update/ upgrade DSD over coaxial is now available. Have not really used this much to connect to a receiver as I have a DSD capable DAC but good to know that it is available. Kudos too to Fiio for implementing this.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I only have experience with the X1, and for it's price [$100] I'll take it over any iPod. The new X3 looks like the X1 and have the same UI as well, but it have a more beefed up headphone amp, and have native DSD decoding as well, in case that is important to you. For $200 that might be a sweet spot. There is a review of it on Head-Fi that compares all three.
]
I have the X1 also and with my Grado in-ears, they get louder than I'm willing to listen. Battery lasts a long time too.

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
Noticed that with the latest update/ upgrade DSD over coaxial is now available. Have not really used this much to connect to a receiver as I have a DSD capable DAC but good to know that it is available. Kudos too to Fiio for implementing this.
DSD over coax? I've yet to encounter any home receiver that supports such protocol. I know that many desktop DACs will accept it though.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
DSD over coax? I've yet to encounter any home receiver that supports such protocol. I know that many desktop DACs will accept it though.
I have yet to try it so I cannot say for sure that it indeed works but the last firmware update from Fiio said that it supported it but as for receivers they made no promises. raif71 who posted right above me apparently has gotten it to work with his receivers if I'm reading his post right. Like I posted I don't connect my X3ii to my receiver but it is nice to know that it might work. Anyway nice of Fiio to implement this instead of putting it off to the next generation of the X line.

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
I have yet to try it so I cannot say for sure that it indeed works but the last firmware update from Fiio said that it supported it but as for receivers they made no promises. raif71 who posted right above me apparently has gotten it to work with his receivers if I'm reading his post right. Like I posted I don't connect my X3ii to my receiver but it is nice to know that it might work. Anyway nice of Fiio to implement this instead of putting it off to the next generation of the X line.
D2P is a conversion to PCM.
DOP would end up as DSD with a compatible DAC
http://www.dcsltd.co.uk/support/what-is-dop-dsd-over-pcm/

http://www.fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=41091

·
Registered
891 Posts
Fiio Settings

I've been using the FiiO X5 for some months now - the sound is superb on every form of music. I run these through Grado headphones (SR80i and SR 325) without amplification.
I try to get the highest quality music files that I can - because the unit can handle them and they sound superb.
I have just purchased the Fiio M9. I have no prior experience with a high-resolution audio player. I downloaded the manual and it does not have adequate information for me on the definitions of the settings and which ones should be selected for various purposes. Would appreciate help from an existing FIIO user on which settings to select.

My main use will be with the FIIO FA7 earphones with the LC-2.5 balanced cable.

I plan to subscribe to a high-res streaming service (probably Qobuz when available in the US in mid-February 2019) and purchase some high-res recordings from them or HD Tracks.

I would also be interested in streaming to my Marantz SR7010 AV receiver with a 9.1 speaker system, if possible. Would bluetooth streaming to a 2016 Chevrolet sound system negate the high resolution quality? Which of the bluetooth settings should be used?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.