AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
HDVisionmax

Just placed an order for a Samsung 75" Q7.
Immediately received a return call from the company trying to up sell. He wondered why I wanted to purchase an "Old" TV!
I asked why it was necessary to call the customer regarding a sale.
Canceled the order!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Had the same experience.
Sent me an email to contact them with a phone number in Maryland.
When I did they asked me for the security code on my credit card (I had noticed when placing the order they didn't ask for it on the website)
He then proceeded to ask me why I purchased an 'old' TV.
I said to him "Please don't try to up sell me"
At that point he got faux offended and told me he wasn't trying to up sell me.
So I asked him why they didn't just ask for my security code when I made the purchase online?
Told me because it was a high price purchase they don't do that then asked why I was being so argumentative.
Told him I wasn't being argumentative and if he now had everything he needed to complete the order.
He said 'yes' and that they have to "order the TV from overseas' again because it's an "old model"

So we'll see how this goes.
I'm a bit weary right at this point especially because the phone number is in Maryland yet the website says they're located at 14 Doty Rd, Haskel, NJ.
So I did a google maps search on that address and it's an industrial area in NJ. The only sign I saw was a sign for International Dimensional Stone. So I called them and they did confirm there is a business in front of that building. So we're good there.

Since I put this on my credit card I'll reserve judgement for a few more days. Their website says "Your order will ship out on the same or next business day, always."

I ordered yesterday. Made the phone call today (Friday June 1, 2018) If I don't get an email confimation of shipping by Monday (the next business day) I'll be canceling the order and calling my credit card company. I'll keep you all posted on the progress.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Oh an just as an aside here I purchased a Samsung 8000 MU8000 82" LED Smart TV 4K UltraHD - UN82MU8000FXZA. Which is, admittedly, last years model, but isn't by any definition "old"

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
That’s the modus operandi of a lot of these sites. They advertise a too-good-to-be-true price, then try to tell you it’s a grey market tv, international model, out of date, whatever, and then try to sell you on a ‘us model’ at a considerably higher price. They’ll also try to upsell you for more expensive delivery and other things.

There are a bunch of fly-by-night sites like that, some people here have eventually gotten the TVs for the advertised price, but it takes a long time and a lot of back and forth.

I’d call Chris at Cleveland Plasma (they advertise and are sponsors here so I believe it’s OK to plug them). He’ll treat you right, give you a good deal, and make the process painless. I bought my TV from him.

Reactions: rboster

·
Registered
11 Posts
update

So it's Tuesday now. June 5th. No email on shipping yesterday. I sent an email to them this morning at the email address on their website requesting a status on the order. They have not replied to the email.
Checked my order on their website and it's still listed as "Processing." Checked my credit card account and no charge has been made to it. I plan on calling them tomorrow mornning at 240-230-3029 to see what's going on.

Again their website says "Your order will ship out on the same or next business day, always."

That hasn't happened.

Checked their website and they are still advertising that same television for sale. If they are not going to honor the order I am going to contact the NJ State Attorney.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Did a whois look up on the url for hdvisionmax.com and they have whois protection. Seems odd to me that they're hiding who has registered the site.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Hrm, sounds like these guys might be like the same kind you see selling cameras - they offer a camera extremely cheap, you order it. Then they contact you saying no accessories come with it and do you want to buy the accessory kit for some outrageous price (well, it would be more expensive than going with a reputable dealer in the first place). And we're talking about stuff that would come in the box - batteries, straps, remotes, software, etc.

If you order the kit, they ship the full packaged product to you, after have paid way more for it. If you don't, they hem and haw and take months to ship (presumably needing to sell those accessories you don't want - although sometimes they just give it to you anyways).

The business model is based on the up sell - they're trying to get you to buy a much more expensive unit that's not on sale that is marked up above retail, or sell you the accessories that are supposed to come with it at marked up prices. And if you ask, the item is out if stock for months, trying to get you to give up waiting and upgrade. Eventually they ship your product, or cancel the order (if they waited so long the item is no longer available). Presumably it depends how long it's been since your inquiry - they hope to get you to forget then charge your card and ship it out, hoping you don't want it and now have to go through an expensive return process with restocking fees, or better yet, try to get you to lose the item in return shipping

·
Registered
11 Posts
update 06/06/2018

This morning I got a phone call from them. Letting me know my TV has shipped from Tacoma, Washington a couple of days ago and is on the way to their office is NJ. After it arrives was told it will be shipped to me.

When I said to him. Well I'm in Phoneix why didn't you just ship it directly to me? He told me that it was on a truck with all the other TVs being sent from the warehouse. But would be shipped to me as soon as they received it.

Again this is now day 6 since I gave them the security code on May 31, 2018. Website say should arrive within 7 to 10 days. So I'm pretty sure we're going to be on the outer edge of that 10 days.

NOTE: Order still says "processing" on their website and my credit card still shows no charge on it.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Unless you bought the upsell, it won't arrive for weeks. They won't charge your card because they can't - if they did, then they would've shipped it to you. But they don't want to, either you give in to the upsell (and hey, it'll be there in 2 days) or they will drag it out. Expect the truck to get flat tires in the middle of nowhere, for the trucker to go on strike, etc. if there is even a truck.

Plus, if they charged your card, they can't upsell you anymore.

·
Registered
11 Posts
update 09/08/2018

Still no email that the tv has shipped from their office in NJ, order is still listed as "processing" on their website, and my credit card still hasn't been charged. Sending another email right now to see what is going on. Will update again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Update 6/13/18

Got a call from them yesterday 6/12/18 (from a PRIVATE NUMBER) after sending an email on Friday 6/8/18

I was told that the TV should arrive at their offices Friday 6/15 or Saturday 6/16.
Told me after it arrived they would ship it to me and THAT would take 7 to 10 days.

Which is a problem since I'll be out of town starting tomorrow 6/14 and not back until 6/27.
Asked them to hold off shipping (once it arrives at their office) so that it would arrive AFTER 6/28.

I plan on emailing them again on Friday to assure that it has arrived at their offices.

I AM NOT giving up on this in any way shape of form. They are going to honor my order or I'll report them to the NJ State Attorney.

Will keep all posted here after emailing on Friday.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi just wondering if you ever got your tv from hdvisionmax. Thinking of ordering but not sure if it’s worth it.
It's not worth it unless you're willing to put up with all this BS and run around. But since they're still advertising the TV I ordered I'm determined to get it. They should loose a MINT on my order and that will hopefully teach them a lesson.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
How will they lose a mint? It would take a lot of long distance calls for that to happen.

Like I said, they'll ship it in due time... Months after ordering, usually. The only way to speed it up is to give in to the upsell.

They won't charge your card until they give up and actually ship it, just in case you might want to spend a bit more money.

These companies don't actually do anything illegal - either they finally do ship the product, or close up shop with orders unfulfilled (and uncharged). Of course, make sure you capture the product page to make absolutely sure what you're getting - making sure you're getting a real North American unit and not one unit for another market (grey market import).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Update 6/13/18

Got a call from them yesterday 6/12/18 (from a PRIVATE NUMBER) after sending an email on Friday 6/8/18

I was told that the TV should arrive at their offices Friday 6/15 or Saturday 6/16.
Told me after it arrived they would ship it to me and THAT would take 7 to 10 days.

Which is a problem since I'll be out of town starting tomorrow 6/14 and not back until 6/27.
Asked them to hold off shipping (once it arrives at their office) so that it would arrive AFTER 6/28.

I plan on emailing them again on Friday to assure that it has arrived at their offices.

I AM NOT giving up on this in any way shape of form. They are going to honor my order or I'll report them to the NJ State Attorney.

Any update? Do you think you'll ultimately get your TV?

I stumbled across this thread AFTER I placed an order for a Sony X850E. I called and chatted with the guy and he said it would ship within a day and that the larger TVs generally take two weeks. I only ordered through this site b/c the price was $90 less than another place.....I'll happily wait 2-3 weeks to save the $90, but I'll be ticked if I don't get the TV and miss out on the deal from the other site!

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
For any future people that come across this forum....

Don't waste your time with this website - at best it's SUPER SKETCHY, at worst they are somehow an illegal outfit (selling cheap TVs that fell off the truck??). After I placed an order, I called daily to inquire about the purchase and would always get some vague answer as to the status of the order. They never billed my credit card (although I wouldn't be shocked if it's currently for sale on the Dark Web!) and I asked them to cancel after a week of getting the run around.

Spend the extra money someplace else and save yourself the headache!

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Like I keep saying, these places deal in the upsell. They will put a tv on sale at a good price, then try to upsell you. Either they will ask if you want to upgrade to a new model, other they want to sell you an "accessory kit" saying things like it doesn't come with stands, remotes, cords, etc. Agree to the new model and you'll pay more than if you went to best buy (of course). Or buy the accessory kit and in total you'll pay more. Agree to the upsell and it will ship immediately.

They will never charge your card early - because you might want to take the upsell. If they charge the card, they can't upsell you anymore.

In the meantime,your order hangs in limbo. If they choose to ship, it will probably be months later when the tv is so obsolete they will pick up a unit for cheap and ship it. If not, they may shut their doors.

The goal is to suck you in with a good price, then get you to pay more - either by selling you a different tv (one they can get cheap and make you pay way too much for) or selling you accessories the tv would come with as a separate item so the total price again causes you to overpay). It's an old scummy business practise, but one that's been around for decades. It's really common for cameras (especially high end cameras) but can apply to almost anything that pretty much costs the same everywhere and where they can attract the unwary who sees a really good price.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Did you ever get the TV? It's about a $700 saving on the one I'm looking at on their site, so would be worth the wait if it does actually come. I bought a camera years ago from a site like this. I got the call, stuck to the model I wanted, and it did arrive, almost 40% off.

Update 6/13/18

1 - 20 of 65 Posts