AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who are trying to pick up HD signals close to a transmitter, here's an interesting challenge. AntennaWeb recommends a simple omni-directional, but when I spoke to Robert from the S.F. Bay Area's highly recommended Robert's Satellite, he told me that local reception can be very, very tricky, and needs to be directional too, due to multipath interference.

In fact, he charges far more for local antenna installations than for satellite dishes. His recommendation: a Winegard 9026. I can't find that model on the site, and he wants to hook up my RCA dish first before we move ahead with a local antenna.

In doing some research, I saw that Channel Master promotes an HDTV antenna, called the STEALTHtenna 3010 ($38). Does anyone have experience with this rooftop?

BTW, I am in Potrero Hill, just a few miles from the Mt. Sutro transmitter. I use a RS Double Bowtie and only receive ABC (KGO-HD). Someone recommended an inline signal amplifier, but I'm hesitant to add more unnecessary gear to a temporary install. Other gear: Toshiba 34HF81 HDTV and Toshiba DST-3000 STB.

Your feedback appreciated.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I live near pacbell park and get all the digital channels from Sutro. I agree with your installer as to the need to use a directional antenna. I am using a Channel Master 3016, which cost me about $20. I bought a Stealthtenna from Fry's in Sunnyvale, for $70, but I never opened the box, and took it back, as the CM 3016 solved my problems.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey PJH:

Did you buy that 3016 at Fry's too? I need a solution by Friday.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Quote:
Did you buy that 3016 at Fry's too?
Yes. The Campbell Fry's had only monster fringe antennas. The Sunnyvale store had a better selection. You don't really need a 3016 if you are only interested in digital signals from Sutro, you can get by with a UHF-only antenna rated for 40 miles or so to provide sufficient directionality to help with multi-path.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The Stealth antenna doesn't work. If you check out the signal gain you'll see that it loses signal compared to a wire di-pole antenna (the antenna that came free with your receiver).

The stealth might be good for a mobile antenna in a RV or in your SUV, but not for HDTV!

·
Registered
168 Posts
I live in Palo Alto, and use a Stealthenna. I get 100% for signal strength on all the bay area digital channels as measured by my Toshiba DST-3000 set top box.

I did purchase and install the optional amplifier for the Stealthtenna - don't know if I really needed it but the price was right.

I did make the rookie mistake of pointing the antenna backwards the first time I tried it - but when I twisted it 180 degrees the signal strength rose from 70's to solid 100.

I bought both the antenna and the amplifier at Palo Alto Fry's for around $75.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I use the STEALTHTenna and a Channel Master rotator to get the Denver low power digital stations, I get good HDTV reception.

If I point my STEALTHTenna south toward Colorado Springs about seventy miles away, I get a rather good fuzzy NTSC signal. I am hoping if Colorado Springs is on the air with full power digital before Denver, I will be able to pick it up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.