AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of running some wiring through PET Expandable Braided Sleeving, as it seems like an affordable, and nice looking solution.

What I am wondering is, I have only seen this on the web, and cannot figure out what size I should get..

I plan to run 1 coax cable, 2 sets of 14 gauge speaker wire, and a subcable, roughly the size of coax.

I want it to look good, snug but perhaps not totally misshaped, or with great difficulty dragging through. Coax and subwoofer cable is terminated, so I need to be able to drag connectors through as well..

Sizes offered: 1/8", 1/4", 1/2", 3/4", 1-1.1/4", 1.1/4-1.3/4"

What seems reasonable?

Thanks!

-Tom

·
Registered
613 Posts
General Purpose Polyester Expandable (Braided) Monofilament Sleeving

Nominal I.D. -- Size Range
1/8" -- 3/32" - 1/8"
1/4" -- 1/8" - 3/8"
3/8" -- 1/4" - 5/8"
1/2" -- 1/4" - 3/4"
3/4" -- 1/2" - 1-1/4"
1-1/4" -- 7/8" - 1-3/8"
1-1/2" -- 1" - 2"
1-3/4" -- 1-1/4" - 2-3/4"
2" -- 1-1/2" - 3-1/2"
2-1/2" -- 1-3/4" - 4-1/2"

This stuff works like a finger trap. You can pull it to reduce the functional I.D. or push to increase the functional I.D. Do not pull this stuff tight over the cable. You must leave a generous amount of slack or you will never be able to bend your bundled cable around corners and such (the whole becoming more than the sum of its parts, so to speak). I would measure your bundled cable's O.D. and multiply that by 1.5 for a nominal I.D. of the sleeving. This will allow you to order sleeving at the same length of your cable. You can always pull it to take out excess slack then trim back to your break out point. For a nice professional appearance, order some adhesive lined shrink tubing. Cut about a 3 inch length and place over the last 1.5 inches of sleeving. The adhesive will melt around the sleeving and around the cable to keep it in place at your break out point. With out adhesive backed shrink tubing you can use wire ties or electrical tape. The wire ties will creep on you however, and electrical tape never does look that nice after a year or so.

Hope this helps,

-monsoon

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
To estimate size needed, make a sample bundle and add on for the connectors, then make sure the stuff you get will go all the way around the connectors (while they are grouped with the wire) and go the next size up.

BTW, if you need a long subwoofer run, use RG-6 coax and terminate with RCA connectors.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Scott. I'm still waiting for the speaker cables, and I will order sub cables from bluejeanscables,as well. BTW: Great hometheater room! Wish I can have something like that, some day!

-Tom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.