AVS Forum banner

301 - 320 of 730 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Picked up two 6x6 units today ... going to daisy chain to go to 6x12. Is there anything I should anticipate setup wise?

I'm going to get a couple Apple airport express units to provide two sources. What else are you guys using as sources?

What is an easy way to get FM radio to work?

Any help you guys can provide would be appreciated.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Picked up two 6x6 units today ... going to daisy chain to go to 6x12. Is there anything I should anticipate setup wise?

I'm going to get a couple Apple airport express units to provide two sources. What else are you guys using as sources?

What is an easy way to get FM radio to work?

Any help you guys can provide would be appreciated.

Congrats on the purchase! I have been changing my sources around to find what are used the most in my house and this is what I have settled on for now:

1-Local source in master bath. (2 RCA plugs in wall plate)
2-Connected to master TV http://www.amazon.com/3-5mm-Stereo-White-Audio-Extender/dp/B013VVBM74/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1457711291&sr=8-8&keywords=RCA+cat5
3-Local source in great room (2 RCA plugs in wall plate)
4-Old Comcast cable box tuned to Music station
5-Chromecast
6-Connected to server PC

We have found that source 4 is a hit. Most zones are left on 4 and the volume is turned down at night. Comcast has some great music stations with no commercials. When I want radio, I use zone 6 on my PC and point it to my favorite local stations website, although I'm looking for a cheap radio with good reception and RCA out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have only recently set up my system with two cascaded 6x6 monoprice amplifiers. I have a PC running as the controller running the monoamp software from Mike P. On the same PC I have added an additional USB sound adapter. This gives me a second sound output channel on this PC.
On this PC I have Two instances of Kodi running. The Kodi code does not itself allow two instances to be run on Windows. To get it to run I had to slightly modify the code. Also in order to not clash, the instances have to be run in portable mode and and run windowed (instead of full-screen).
The first Kodi instance is mapped to the onboard audio out from the PC. The second Kodi instance is mapped to the USB audio adapter output.

I currently only have 3 sources:
1. Kodi Instance 1
2. Kodi Instance 2
3. Output from main floor Audio Amplifier
I use one of several Kodi remote apps on my phone and tablet to control the Kodi instances.

Note that because the Monoprice amplifiers are in the basement, the line level signal has to travel quite a distance. I use matched audio baluns to send the line-level signals. The clarity of the audio is fine, however I'm finding significant signal attenuation. I'm still working on a solution for this.

I too am looking for an inexpensive FM source. Pity it wasnt' built into the amplifier. The FM source needs to be IP controlled.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Set it up today and I'm beyond happy ... Surprised by both the multizone unit and the monoprice speakers.

Question though ... How have you guys mounted the keypad hub plates? I'm surface mounting all the wire so a regular electric box is too small for all the Cat5 coming from the keypads.

Id love to seem some pics of how you guys have organized your setup.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Why use an electrical box at all? They aren't meant to accommodate the number of cat-5 cables the hubs will need.

I haven't mounted mine yet but I plan to just use a Low Voltage Bracket. They are available at monoprice.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Congrats on the purchase! I have been changing my sources around to find what are used the most in my house and this is what I have settled on for now:

1-Local source in master bath. (2 RCA plugs in wall plate)
2-Connected to master TV http://www.amazon.com/3-5mm-Stereo-White-Audio-Extender/dp/B013VVBM74/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1457711291&sr=8-8&keywords=RCA+cat5
3-Local source in great room (2 RCA plugs in wall plate)
4-Old Comcast cable box tuned to Music station
5-Chromecast
6-Connected to server PC

We have found that source 4 is a hit. Most zones are left on 4 and the volume is turned down at night. Comcast has some great music stations with no commercials. When I want radio, I use zone 6 on my PC and point it to my favorite local stations website, although I'm looking for a cheap radio with good reception and RCA out.
TuneIn Radio has local radio stations that you can stream, I assume, through your Chromecast. I use it through my Sonos Connect on my WHA system and it works great. Cool thing is you can stream stations from all over the world so you can pick and choose what you like a lot more than local stations offer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Doorbell as an input?

Can anyone point me in the right direction to find a doorbell that can be used with this system?

I want a person to press the doorbell, then have a device that plays an MP3 file over all the zones, presumably using the PA functionality.

I appreciate the help in advance.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Question though ... How have you guys mounted the keypad hub plates? I'm surface mounting all the wire so a regular electric box is too small for all the Cat5 coming from the keypads.
low voltage doesn't need a box, though the keypads are made for a box
2 options: use the low voltage trim rings like these at lowes
at $7 each they are a little pricey for my tastes

but what i typically do is cut out the back of a standard plastic electrical box; new work or old work
i use a band saw but you can use a jig saw or hacksaw, you can also use a spade bit to drill out the back and razor knife to connect the holes

i use these cut out back boxes for all my ethernet and av cables

$7 low voltage trim ring

$0.98 old work box, thus why i use these :D

·
Registered
10,866 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can't compare it to my home theater or pro auto system, but for "house audio" I'm am more then satisfied. I've only had it for two weeks and an still setting it up, initially I had it playing Internet audio steams, but last night I finally hooked it up to a CD player and wow what a difference in the low end.

For the price, this unit rocks! I was looking for a multi channel amp that I could control via software in the price range without keypads, keypads are just a bonus!
I was just reviewing the discussion and was wondering if you would share some info about your whole house audio system (# of zones, # of speakers, size/type pf speakers), do you run all zones at the same time? Is the amplifier power adequate for general background listening. I built a new home and have all the structured wiring completed including cat 5 to each room volume control location. Now I need to buy the equipment and components (volume controls, multi-zone amp, etc.). I would be grateful for anything you are willing to share with me. Thanks

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi Bill,

Most is probably covered in prior posts, but I've got two amps\12 zones and used Yamaha in wall speakers inside, outside I ran a few zones for enough power and picked up the fake rock style speakers

As for sources I had an old FM tuner that I leave tuned to a local PopRock station for the kids, or they switch an either the Sonos or Grace players for Amazon Music, Pandora or Shoutcast streams.

I'm still very happy with this amp. It wakes the kids up for School Via Homeseer events (along with turning the lights on via Insteon) and now with the Amazon Echo (Tap & Dot) we have voice control. So the Wife can say "Turn Kitchen Music Power ON"

The family uses it daily from the wall controllers or their iPhones and it just works.

I had my wires in the walls for 3+ after building and procrastinated looking at Russsound and others due to expense.
When I saw this unit it was an instant YES, and then after I hooked up a few zones I bought a second.
The only negative, which is still a positive, is the weight - it's heavy! and built like a tank

Driver & App Software - If you decide to get the unit
https://www.dropbox.com/s/c1aqlz6aed9eode/MonoAmp.zip?dl=0

Regards,
Mike

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
I'd recommend the low profile mounting rings. I've used the carlon ones and they kinda suck. Stick out too far from the wall and the cover plate doesn't sit flush.

Something like the Erico MPLS is much better.

They all work, but the cover plate thing really irks me.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I picked up some cheap speakers from Best Buy today to finally setup my outdoor patio zone.

I bumped into these today open box for $20. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-2-way-indoor-outdoor-speakers-pair-black/7588054.p?id=1218855019041&skuId=7588054

I will eventually get in-ground speakers like this: http://www.amazon.com/TIC-GS-3-150-Watt-Outdoor--Ground/dp/B0007RSZX0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1462474837&sr=8-1&keywords=in+ground+speakers My dad has a few of the TIC speakers and they sound fantastic.

When I connected my outdoor zone's keypad I noticed strange behavior in other zones. Some zones refused to work and others lost the ability to control volume. I cut and re-installed cat6 plugs probably 6 times to no avail. I have come to the conclusion that the cat6 cable must be bad. I ran it through a tight space near the patio sliding door and a nail must have caught it at some point. Now I have to figure out what to do for that zone. It will be impossible to run another line to the same box. My plan is to place a blank plate on the wall and try to get a line ran outside. Once outside I'm hoping I can get away with a waterproof box + keypad.

tl/dr: Anyone used a keypad outdoors?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I picked up some cheap speakers from Best Buy today to finally setup my outdoor patio zone.

I bumped into these today open box for $20. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-2-way-indoor-outdoor-speakers-pair-black/7588054.p?id=1218855019041&skuId=7588054

I will eventually get in-ground speakers like this: http://www.amazon.com/TIC-GS-3-150-Watt-Outdoor--Ground/dp/B0007RSZX0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1462474837&sr=8-1&keywords=in+ground+speakers My dad has a few of the TIC speakers and they sound fantastic.

When I connected my outdoor zone's keypad I noticed strange behavior in other zones. Some zones refused to work and others lost the ability to control volume. I cut and re-installed cat6 plugs probably 6 times to no avail. I have come to the conclusion that the cat6 cable must be bad. I ran it through a tight space near the patio sliding door and a nail must have caught it at some point. Now I have to figure out what to do for that zone. It will be impossible to run another line to the same box. My plan is to place a blank plate on the wall and try to get a line ran outside. Once outside I'm hoping I can get away with a waterproof box + keypad.

tl/dr: Anyone used a keypad outdoors?
@scottphillips88

I would ohm out the run and see which two are shorted.
I remember seeing a pinout of the keypad and from what I recall 2 of the 8 wires are for the IR repeater.
You might be able to loose that function and save the run.

Regards,
Mike

·
Registered
149 Posts
@scottphillips88

I remember seeing a pinout of the keypad and from what I recall 2 of the 8 wires are for the IR repeater.

Regards,
Mike
Good to know. Thank you! Installing those cat6 plugs over and over was really testing my patience. I had no issues with the other 5 zone.... :)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Good to know. Thank you! Installing those cat6 plugs over and over was really testing my patience. I had no issues with the other 5 zone.... :)
Could you not use the shorted cable to pull a new one through? I like the idea of testing it out though to see if you can salvage it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
@scottphillips88

Regards,
Mike
Any chance you know where the pinout was from? I pulled the owners manual and couldn't find it. With my multimeter I'm not sure how to ohm it out unless both cable ends are by each other? I guess I didn't think this through. :) I switched my cat6 end out with a keystone punch down. I think I'm going to resort to a tried and true process of elimination to hopefully identify the bad wires.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Could you not use the shorted cable to pull a new one through? I like the idea of testing it out though to see if you can salvage it.
I tried to pull through a new one today. It's in a very tight space so I will break the line before it works. I also have my speaker line ran along side the cat6 and eventually outside. If I damage those lines I'll be really upset.

301 - 320 of 730 Posts