AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 736 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
I was thinking about getting this unit to play whole home audio with a raspbmc as the source. That way I can use the XBMC app to control my music with my phone. This is my first attempt at anything like this ans I was wondering if you see any glaring or potential flaws in this setup?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Just ordered it...key use will be apple airport express and control via iphone, so the above should work.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do you happen to have the actual coding you used? I would like to integrate mine into roomieremote but I'm a new to programming. I got the basics down but a full code list you used would be very helpful!

·
Registered
3 Posts

I just received the controller yesterday and have a few questions.  

1.  Does anyone know what the pins are on the back of the keypads are for?  I see there is the option to hook up an external IR receiver, but there are also pins down near the RJ45 jack.

2.  Although I haven't played with it much, I tried to use an old (~15 year) Pioneer stereo receiver with an IR emitter with no luck.  I am using Monoprice #8059 as the emitter.  How well has the IR pass through worked for people?  Are there a lot of devices that simply do not work well with it?

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts

On a different note, Monoprice currently offers a 10% discount on this item with code "6ZONE".  I live chatted with them yesterday and they were kind enough to apply the discount to my order from last week.

·
Registered
6,208 Posts
Just looking at this item. Is everyone experiencing the audio bleed (audio bleeding into rooms that are "off")? Also, is it possible to control volume to different zones via an app instead of having to go into each room and adjust the wall plate?

Finally, have they fixed the fact that when the power fails all programming disappears and you end up at max volume in your zones when it kicks back in? Sounds like someone wrote a driver to fix this but not sure I understand how to implement it?

I too am looking to use this with an Xbmc box.

·
Registered
6,208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rums  /t/1506842/any-experience-with-the-monoprice-6-zone-home-audio-multizone-controller#post_24155987

I had an online chat with Monoprice online tech support with a few questions regarding this amp.

He confirmed there is an optical input.

Also, there is a Youtube vid and article talking about the amp being IP addressable (and a mobile app to be released), but the tech rep either hadn't heard about it or they are not building it (he had asked where I had heard the info from).

See here:

(skip to 0:45)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX9kmX1SMmI&t=45

also:

http://www.cepro.com/article/monoprice_develops_6x6_multiroom_audio_system_for_649

Anyhow, sounds like that's not true. I don't see any network connectivity options built in (unless it can be added to the remote hub), so unless MP builds an ethernet -> RS232 device I think having an IP addressable amp is out of the question without hooking up a computer or some additional third-party device that will take REST -> serial command. Too bad.

@signal15 I'm looking forward to your feedback as I'd love to put a few of these in my home (if they're half-decent) to replace some Sonance equipment.

Wonder if something like this can be used to convert rs232 to TCP/IP:

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9476

If this thing can be controlled via IP and an Android app, it seems awesome. Assuming the audio bleed isn't that terrible.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc  /t/1506842/any-experience-with-the-monoprice-6-zone-home-audio-multizone-controller#post_24678230

Finally, have they fixed the fact that when the power fails all programming disappears and you end up at max volume in your zones when it kicks back in? Sounds like someone wrote a driver to fix this but not sure I understand how to implement it?

I don't know if this applies, but the few times that I have powered on the unit so far, it has defaulted to a volume setting of "20" out of a max of "35".

·
Registered
64 Posts

For anybody playing around with my Monoprice Mixer

Newer Version of the driver assembly and Mixer

Finished up Multi Amp Logic

WINAPI Server to Allow Remote IP HTTP\ Get\Put commands

Example Put:

http://localhost:50230/api/Command?unit=1&channel=4&command=Power&value=1

http://localhost:50230/api/Command?unit=1&channel=4&command=Volume&value=10

Example Get:

http://localhost:50230/api/keypad?chan=3

Basement

000017[TR]11[/TR]101031

Application Download (Same Link) (NET4.0 Required)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/94991518/MonoAmp.zip

Regards,

Mike Pisano

Mpisano1 at Aol for any comments

·
Registered
6,208 Posts
Thanks Mike, guys like you are a huge asset to the community! Any chance you think you'll be able to get an android app for this? In order to control it via TCP I would I need a device like the one I linked above? I don't plan con connecting to a PC if I can avoid it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
With the latest version and the WinApi Hooks in place and XML\JSON data, I can now work on an app. Ill have a basic HTML5 application for any device\broswer that will provide basic functionality soon.

As Far as "without a PC". I'm not planning on that direction. Simply converting from RS232 to IP with those 29.99 devices does not allow for multiple people\devices to be controlling the amp. there I no way to queue commands back and forth or save\restore power fail state, have morning wakeup and all off at night..... There needs to be a central controller, or homeseer... just trying to point an android device directly at a converted Rs232 port isn't a solution in my book.

**** Update******
I have ported the code to mono for use with Raspberry Pi for those who dont have or want to have a pc

My other test version also allows you to point to directories of mp3's and lists of Shoutcast streams and combines the audio into the front\Center\rear channels so my automation server now has 3 cables to the Monoprice and is able to support 3 stereo channels.
leaving the other 3 for my Grace Box,  Sonos, and the ELK.

Screen Shot:

Regards,
Mike

·
Registered
2 Posts

Ok, I have a Itach flex IP plugged into my friends unit and I designed a remote on IRULE. It works prettty good, with all the basic functions right now. I did not add in the bass/treble or fade controls as we have found that they never get touched once set properly. I set each of the zone power switches to also turn the volume onto level 4, so as long as you turn on the zones with your phone after power outage the high volume is not an issue. It allows for multiple users and multiple codes at the same time as well. Its not a cheap option, but it works well and can later integrate any other devices you have. Take a look at the screen shots below. I also set each source to change the volume back down to 4 when selected in case one has a higher volume than another. So the itach was about $90 and the app is $50. If you have any other devices connected to your network there is no other hidden costs involved. You could also get a second itach with the IR cables to control multiple IR devices. Give me your thoughts guys. Any changes you would suggest? 

·
Registered
64 Posts

Hey LopiTech,

Glad you found a solution - seems a bit costly to spend 140.00 to control a 600.00 amp, but I guess the itach and irule could do other HA functions.

I prefer the software direction I'm headed and a html\jquery\phone gap type app attached to my software mixer, but that's only because I'm planning on implementing other advanced functions.

Regards,

Mike

·
Registered
18 Posts
Consider this a pre-announcement, as I'm finishing up testing on the software this week, but I have a Java based headless control daemon for the amplifier called MonoImp, which actively monitors the amp and calls out to scripts of your choice at various levels of granularity. The scripts can drive your home automation however you like. In addition, it exposes a REST API over HTTP for both controlling the amps zone attributes, but also loading and saving presets. I plan it to be a robust, light touch interface to scripting some pretty tidy home setups.

Cheers,

Scott

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would say primarily cost. The monoprice amp is pretty bare bones. It seems to have the same basic feature set of the Lync, but no app (though that's a matter of time given the efforts of folks here). I was interested in the Monoprice precisely because of its programmability though, as I want a system that's largely software defined and thus upgradable.

·
Registered
6,208 Posts
Not sure I fully understand what your app is going to do or what it will need to function? I assume the amp will also have to be hooked up to a PC all the time for it to work? Is the plan for it to work on android or iOS?

·
Registered
18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc  /t/1506842/any-experience-with-the-monoprice-6-zone-home-audio-multizone-controller/30#post_24703911

Not sure I fully understand what your app is going to do or what it will need to function? I assume the amp will also have to be hooked up to a PC all the time for it to work? Is the plan for it to work on android or iOS?

My app is a daemon running on a PC (cross platform) constantly, yes. It'll provide a web API for controlling the amp, and the ability to script automation when something changes on the amp. This allows for both directions of control: running something when someone changes something on the amp, via the keypads or an app, and changing the amp from an app or other automation events.

I'm not writing a phone/tablet app for the amp, but the daemon makes doing so dramatically easier. I definitely want to work with people who are versed at slick mobile apps, as I think this is a much shorter process than doing it directly over the serial link of the amp, which is push/pull.

·
Registered
64 Posts

MonoPrice AMP Mobile

I've updated the dropbox with a newer release of the Monoprice Amp Driver, which now selfhosts not only the JSON\XML WebApi, but also the beginnings of a JQuery client!!!

(hoping some java guru's will pitch in)

Also now the Mixer has been split into three EXE's,  There is now AmpMixer.exe, AmpServer.exe and the AmpConfig.exe

Config is common to both Mixer and Server, but Server will run as a Windows Service in the background prior to login and allow for  the Http Webserver and Tcp/IP WebApi connections to the Amp's Rs232 Port

Also in this new version are addiotional API's for Level UP and Down for all the commands to support buttons like above.

I'm going to be continuing Java Development along with Homeseer, for Now from HS you can 

&hs.GetURL("127.0.0.1","/api/Command?unit=1&channel=3&command=volume&value=30",TRUE,50231)

Additional Notes and API calls in the ReadMe file within the DropBox Zip

or

https://www.dropbox....ode/MonoAmp.zip

Kind Regards,

Mike Pisano

21 - 40 of 736 Posts