AVS Forum banner

721 - 737 of 737 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a similar setup with volume control in each room and speaker wire going back to a central location.

I thought about implementing this system but ended up getting a Dayton Audio MA1240A12 channel amplifier and 6 Chromecast Audio devices. I see them available for $ 50/each on eBay right now.
Everyone in my family controls them from their Android and IPhone phones and they can be grouped together to play music in multiple zones.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
I like the idea of this as well. I will see what options I can find for grabbing a few chromecasts once we move in. Thanks!

·
Registered
652 Posts
I just picked up the Dayton Audio DAX66, which other than the way you wire the keypads, looks pretty much the same. I'm having a difficult time getting it to work with my Harmony Hub. I tried the codes included with the DAX66 device that's loaded from the Logitech servers and have manually taught the hub the IR codes countless times.

Has anyone had issues getting the Monoprice or Dayton Audio to work with a Harmony Hub?

I keep striking out.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just picked up the Dayton Audio DAX66, which other than the way you wire the keypads, looks pretty much the same.
Yes the DAX66 is the same. I've got two of them, really happy.

I'm having a difficult time getting it to work with my Harmony Hub. I tried the codes included with the DAX66 device that's loaded from the Logitech servers and have manually taught the hub the IR codes countless times.

Has anyone had issues getting the Monoprice or Dayton Audio to work with a Harmony Hub?
Just to be sure : you are aware that the IR receivers are on the keypads ?

·
Registered
652 Posts
Yes the DAX66 is the same. I've got two of them, really happy.

Just to be sure : you are aware that the IR receivers are on the keypads ?

I am. I've tried adding the DAX66 right from the Logitech database and none of the buttons worked. I then tried learning the commands right from both the remote and the hub. No dice.

I also checked to make sure that the remote was set to send the IR commands as opposed to the hub, and that didn't work either.

I'm at a complete loss.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Depending on how you are going to control the Monoprice, there are other options. For instance, buying a used Xantech 6-zone amp on eBay. A much higher quality amp, and there is now a HASS integration for controlling via Home Assistant. Monoprice seems to have copied all their RS232 APIs from Xantech (with some changes). Xantech Python API also exists.

The models to consider are Xantech MX88 / MX88ai / MRC88 / MRAUDIO8X8. However, keypads are rare, but outdated anyway. Some have 8-zones of amplifier, some just have 6-zones of amplification plus 2 additional zones of pre-amp out. The 4-zone Xantechs aren't supported yet by the above integrations/libraries.

Also, there aren't any iOS/Android controllers that work with the Xantechs that I know of (would be fairly easy for Monoprice app developers to add support, the protocol is nearly the same with some minor tweaks). Control4, Crestron, etc all support this of course (and their apps).
Thanks for posting this i was about to pull the trigger on the monoprice unit and then went OOS glad i came back and re read the thread
I also saw that you are the author for the plugin on github. Just purchased a MRC-88 on ebay for 140.

Just wondering if the connection is via RS-232 to USB for Hass? since the unit also has a usb port have you tried to use those?

·
Registered
1 Posts
For the last four to five years, I’ve had the monoprice six zone installed in my home and controlled through SmartThings. Has been rock solid. Now that SmartThings has announced complete platform change that will eliminate DTHs and the groovy IDE in favor of an API, this integration (and many others I have) will break. For this reason I tried migrating everything to Hubitat but have been very disappointed with that platform. I’m now exploring switching to Control4. Does anyone know if there is a Control4 driver for the monoprice six zone? If so, where can I find it? Thank you!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Mike do you have a way to integrate your app into Smartthings?
Besides being an App & service, I have hooked the service for Homeseer so both can be used simultaneously. Homeseer has both Alexa and Smartthings support (although I only use Alexa) and homeseer can control the lights, alarm the amp and lots of stuff. Homeseer turn the amp ON and wakes me and my kids up every morning with music for Work and School for years, and I can always say "Alexa Bedroom Stereo Off" when I want to sleep late (not an option for the kids ;)

Besides that, I know some users have used IFTT to hook the amps webapi directly via port forwarding, If you can get Smartthings to send you a HTTP get command then YES.
As far as "Direct" Smartthings support.... typically Samsung\Apple\Amazon want you to pay for the cloud service for the host side so users can choose "Monoprice amp". and it promotes sales

If there is a free way to do this directly with samsung that i'm not aware of then great, that's why I open sourced this, it is to get ideas and help from others and keep this great amp alive.

Regards,
Mike

721 - 737 of 737 Posts