AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow forum peoples.

I was hoping to get some feed back or other insights in a dilemma I have. I have recently bought a new avr, Pioneer vsx-1020k. I like the receiver and was deciding between the pioneer and the denon 1911 but went with the pioneer, but could still get the denon instead if there is reason too. Still about 4-5 days into messing with it.

I currently have the JBL SCS180.6S 6.1 set up. They have treated me well, and i liked them when i first got them back in 06. They were hooked up to a SONY STR-DE695. Reason i wanted to upgrade avr, was because of hdmi hook up connectivity, and just a better quality receiver. Everything else is a bonus. I like the receiver and was deciding between the pioneer and the DENON 1911.

Anyways my set up is in 11.5x25 ft room, pretty smaller size. I did the auto MCACC with the pioneer and my JBL's, and so far the sound good, sound a little clear than my old Sony, but i haven't noticed a huge improvement like i was thinking it would be. Now it could be i don't have it set up properly since i have only been tinkering with it for less than a week. I was wondering if any one on the forum used to own these, still do, any cons pros of them, should i still hold on to them, get something else, any feed back is much appreciated. Since i was considering to get another speaker set up, i was thinking about the energy take 5 classics. Few of the guys here at work have them, and read the reviews on them, and they sound great. But is it a huge step up from what i have now? Is there a reason to upgrade to these if the current JBL's work good? Will i notice a huge difference?

Thanks for your feed back guys. I will try to provide more info if needed to help with this feed back and decision making.

·
Registered
29,109 Posts
If you want to improve the sound your system get better speakers!

If you go from the SCS180 to the Energy Take Classics it'll be little if any improvement.

You want to make a step up, get bigger speakers! Bookshelf speakers will make a significant improvement over satellite speakers.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your feedback. Thats what i wanted to find out if there was that much of a big change from what i have to the energy series. As far as book shelf speakers, i saw that amazon had some deals on Pioneer S-31B, and they weren't that bad price point. I know at some point i would then need to switch out center and surround L/R.

·
Registered
29,109 Posts
You don't even need to spend that much. Get the new Pioneer BS41 bookshelf speakers that are designed by renowned speaker engineer Andrew Jones.

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-BS4...1068927&sr=1-1

Best Buy sells the matching center and floorstanders.

C21
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Pioneer+...ract_desc=null

FS51

Start off with a pair of BS-41s and the C21 center. That'll only cost you $160 plus Best Buy tax on the center. The BS-41s normally go for $149-199 so jr.com and Amazon are running a great deal right now.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool, thanks for the info afrogt. These seem fairly reasonable and good price for all 4 components, cheaper than the energy series. That is all i am really looking for, a little step up in sound than the smaller satellite speakers. I noticed on another thread Simalar setup

that r3fug33 went with similar what you mentioned. Which i think i will go with. The sub he has i might go with later on, but the sub that i have with the JBL speakers, will that work well or for now with what i have? JBL sub 10-inch, 150-watt powered sub woofer.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Oh I am sorry you got the bug. There is no cure. It starts with satellite speakers but soon that will not be enough. You will need to feed, you will have an appetite for something more tantalizing. You will move up to Best Buy book shelf speakers and it will be good until you hear a pair of B&W 601s. You will upgrade to them and think you have found nirvana, but you will be wrong.

You might be able to fight off the CDM line of B&W's but your hunger will soon be greater. Out of curiosity you will listen to floor standing speakers and a whole new level of mid range deliciousness will ravage you. You will want it... You will need it.

You will indeed get the floor standing speakers of your dreams only to realize that your pioneer receiver will not be enough to power them.

At this point you had invested too much into your speakers to let something like a receiver stop your from feeding on audio bliss. You will research AVS for the best receiver only to find out that there is no receiver good enough for your speakers.

Just when you thought you were done, you will have to do it all again, only this time it will start with a receiver and end with separate amps and processors.

You started with satellites and it will end with you owning B&W or Focal speakers. Get out while you still have a chance!

-Sam

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/19564464

You don't even need to spend that much. Get the new Pioneer BS41 bookshelf speakers that are designed by renowned speaker engineer Andrew Jones.

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-BS4...1068927&sr=1-1

Best Buy sells the matching center and floorstanders.

C21

FS51

Start off with a pair of BS-41s and the C21 center. That'll only cost you $160 plus Best Buy tax on the center. The BS-41s normally go for $149-199 so jr.com and Amazon are running a great deal right now.

so pulled the trigger, and decided to try out the FS51, BS-41, and the C21. My only concern after reading this Thread , would i need to upgrade to the vsx-1120sk? Will the 1020 have enough power to run all the whole set plus the bic f12 when i get it in the future? I read the differences between both the receivers and the only main thing that i would maybe care about is the wattage and maybe preouts for further down the line of adding a amp. But im not sure if i even want to do that as of yet. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
29,109 Posts
I would prefer a receiver with preouts just in case you need to add an amp later. The Pioneers have a sensitivity around 85db so they will require a little more power. It all depends on how loudly you play your system and the size of your room. Will you be doing any 3D? Do you have 3D TV? If not, look at one of last years models with preouts.

Onkyo 707
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...eceiver/1.html

Marantz 5004
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...eceiver/1.html

Yamaha 1065
http://www.6ave.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=YAMRXV1065BL

or if you have the money get the Pioneer 1120.

And yes your JBL 10" 150W sub should do fine.

·
Registered
431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CriPPleR_HD /forum/post/19568312

Oh I am sorry you got the bug. There is no cure. It starts with satellite speakers but soon that will not be enough. You will need to feed, you will have an appetite for something more tantalizing. You will move up to Best Buy book shelf speakers and it will be good until you hear a pair of B&W 601s. You will upgrade to them and think you have found nirvana, but you will be wrong.

You might be able to fight off the CDM line of B&W's but your hunger will soon be greater. Out of curiosity you will listen to floor standing speakers and a whole new level of mid range deliciousness will ravage you. You will want it... You will need it.

You will indeed get the floor standing speakers of your dreams only to realize that your pioneer receiver will not be enough to power them.

At this point you had invested to much into your speakers to let something like a receiver stop your from feeding on audio bliss. You will research AVS for the best receiver only to find out that there is no receiver good enough for your speakers.

Just when you thought your were done, you will have to do it all again, only this time it will start with a receiver and end with separate amps and processors.

You started with satellites and it will end with you owning B&W or Focal speakers. Get out while you still have a chance!

-Sam

That does seem to be the way it works!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
reading up on the 3 now, do you have a preference of the 3? or what has been the consensuses around here? do not have a 3d tv, i have the panny 50v10 series before the v20 came out. Very happy with it. But i don't think i will be doing any 3d any time soon. I like to play loud when i do play games and watch movies, with friends over and such, but at night when the little one and lady are asleep, it will be some what quiet. I order the pioneer from amazon for a good price, like $343, but still can send it back and opt for one of these guys. But pre outs could be usefull down the line. Again thanks for your help

·
Registered
29,109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberGamer /forum/post/19569525

reading up on the 3 now, do you have a preference of the 3? or what has been the consensuses around here? do not have a 3d tv, i have the panny 50v10 series before the v20 came out. Very happy with it. But i don't think i will be doing any 3d any time soon. I like to play loud when i do play games and watch movies, with friends over and such, but at night when the little one and lady are asleep, it will be some what quiet. I order the pioneer from amazon for a good price, like $343, but still can send it back and opt for one of these guys. But pre outs could be usefull down the line. Again thanks for your help

I'd probably go for the Yamaha since it is brand new while the other two are refurbished. Refurb Marantz and Onkyo have 1 year warranty, the new Yamaha has a 2 year warranty.

Cool thing about the Yamaha is that it has a USB port in front if you need it. the Onkyo 707 has 6 HDMI inputs including a front HDMI input which is nice. Marantz tends to have pretty accurate power ratings and I think looks the coolest.

I don't think you could go wrong with any of the receivers. Onkyo's tend to run a little hot so if you're putting in a cabinet make sure you have plenty of ventilation. But good ventilation is something you want with any receiver.

Like the Audyssey MultiEQ room calibration on the Onkyo and Marantz. Yamaha uses something called YPAO. Not familiar with it as my Denon receiver uses Audyssey also. But they all pretty much do the same thing.

You cant really go wrong with any of them.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/19569592

I'd probably go for the Yamaha since it is brand new while the other two are refurbished. Refurb Marantz and Onkyo have 1 year warranty, the new Yamaha has a 2 year warranty.

Cool thing about the Yamaha is that it has a USB port in front if you need it. the Onkyo 707 has 6 HDMI inputs including a front HDMI input which is nice. Marantz tends to have pretty accurate power ratings and I think looks the coolest.

I don't think you could go wrong with any of the receivers. Onkyo's tend to run a little hot so if you're putting in a cabinet make sure you have plenty of ventilation. But good ventilation is something you want with any receiver.

Like the Audyssey MultiEQ room calibration on the Onkyo and Marantz. Yamaha uses something called YPAO. Not familiar with it as my Denon receiver uses Audyssey also. But they all pretty much do the same thing.

You cant really go wrong with any of them.

Which Denon do you have? I read about the 1911, and i know there is a step up, but am i still going to be better off with any of these guys? i like the fact of the front usb for Yamaha. But i guess i can try the set up with my new gear tonight and see what i think, and read more about the yamaha. But so far the yamaha seems promising.

·
Registered
29,109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberGamer /forum/post/19569695

Which Denon do you have? I read about the 1911, and i know there is a step up, but am i still going to be better off with any of these guys? i like the fact of the front usb for Yamaha. But i guess i can try the set up with my new gear tonight and see what i think, and read more about the yamaha. But so far the yamaha seems promising.

I have last years Denon 989. Great receiver with 4 HDMI inputs, 7.1 preouts and Audyssey MultiEQ XT which is only available on the higher end receivers. Amazon had a one day deal for $549 and I jumped on it.

They did that earlier this year with the Denon 3310 and Marantz 8002. Great pricing if you're lucky enough to catch it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts