AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Sony VPH-1272Q and Chuck Williams has sent me the info on his fan mod which I appreciate very much. Thanks Chuck! I am curious if there are others out there that have any concerns with this mod? I have just had the blue and green tubes replaced with brand new ones and would like advice on whether I should do this mod or not. Any and all advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
496 Posts
There are concerns, and I have voiced my opinion about them in the past. In summary, I feel that (in theory) any increase in heat brings with it a shorter component life - and a subsequent decrease in reliability. There is of course the question of how much shorter the life of any given component/unit would be.

But I imagine you are more after a practical answer than the theoretical shortening of component life. Keep in mind these units were designed to be on 24/7 and to operate under conditions not normally experienced in the home. In many applications the units end up beat around, dropped, running at 100% brightness/contrast for extended periods of time, convergence being stressed because the installer doesnt have time to do a proper mechanical setup, etc etc. These are conditions that just dont seem to happen at home. And for that, the end result is that you will probably find there is no "real" difference in reliability, provided fans are not completely eliminated.

Also - keep in mind that Chuck is highly respected. I do not believe he would ever steer anyone wrong; if he didnt think the mod was safe to do he probably wouldnt have offered it. I think you will find enough people running the fan mod to prove that -for the most part - it is relatively safe.

Best of Luck!

Kieth

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kieth,

Thanks for the response. I appreciate your comments. I do know that Chuck is highly respected and I do appreciate him sending me the mod info. I did not in anyway mean that I don't trust Chuck's judgment. Maybe I did a bad job of wording my post. What I was trying to ask was if everyone thinks its a good idea to modify the fans with there being brand new tubes in the projector. From your comments I would take that things should be just fine. I would love to reduce the noise and this appears to be the best way. Thanks again for your help and thanks to Chuck Williams for all of the great insight he adds to this forum!

Thanks

·
Registered
766 Posts
With any modification to your projector -- you need to satisfy yourself that it is 'safe'.

When doing fans or cooling, I'd measure a before and after temperature. If you feel that the fan mod causes too high an increase -- do something about it.

Chuck mentioned in one of his posts the 'two finger' test. He suggests that after 2 hrs or so.. when the operating temperature is 'stable'.. seeing if you can put two fingers on the heatsinks. If its too hot to touch, its too hot and you need more cooling.

Not a bad rule of thumb.. the two finger rule!

Roo

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.