AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first stab at a home theater set up since college--I still have the panasonic HTIB components, but figured since the setup is over 7 years old, and sitting unused for a few, and considering what some prices are, I could splurge on a new setup.

My in-laws have a samsung system, I believe the WP38 with the wireless rear setup-I like the sound, and I've seen the wireless version, shipped, under 330 (refrub I saw it for less than that, too). Like I said, the sound is crisp as far as I am concerned....

My other thought was this-since I don't really need a DVD player (still running an original panasonic player, with no issues), I could get an Onkyo HTIB, such as the 580, which will cost about as much as the samsung, minus the DVD changer and wirless.

The other possible bonus with the samsung is the USB connection, so I can link my laptop and iTunes....but, I can accomplish that also with stereo cable from my laptop headset jack.

Just trying to get an eye for if one is substantially better than the other. I haven't heard onkyo components in a while, but like I said, I've heard similar samsung systems and cant complain.....

ir is there something else out there? I want to keep the cost as close to, if not under, $300 for this go-round

thanks

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
List what components you want to have surround sound from besides the computer and dvd.

Does your dvd player have a digital audio connection?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i dont recall, I will have to check that/ for the longest, it has been connected to a tv, nothing special

i really only want surround for the movies and nintendo/ps2. the computer would be for music for parties and such, and that doesnt have to be surroud sound really

i dont intend to try and go all out--i recognize its a slippery slope...and once i buy one hi end piece, ill want more. i had a panasonic HTIB from circuit city for ages and was relatively happy with it. not sure if that means im a good candidate for another, or what....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.