AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was about to pull the trigger on the $229 Oppo DV-981HD upscaling/upconverting DVD player. But then I noticed the Toshiba HD-A2 is under $400.

Decisions decisions.... I hate to be an early adapter, but I did have a Toshiba DVD player I was given as a gift back in 1998, when they were $300-$350 at the time. It ran flawlessly until I regrettablely replaced it with a newer dvd player by some fly by night manufacture. I might have the old Toshiba somewhere in a closet around my room, and it would probably still work fine if I hooked it up today.

That was a bit off topic, but back to my original question - have people who own the Panasonic Th-42PX60U been happy with the Toshiba HD-A2? Also, is it worth jumping for now, or should I hold out for another 6 months or year and see how things play out?

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have an A2 and the panny 42PX60U but not together yet. My A2 is hooked up to my 61" 1080p DLP and it looks awsome. I'm dying to test it out on my panny too but just have not had the time yet.

Personally if you think you want to jump into HD disk in the near future I would jump on the A2. It upconverts on par if not better than the Oppo and you will have the added bonus of HD-DVD's.

The way I look at it if HD-dvd fails, at least you have some nice hidef movies and a good quality DVD player.

The Oppo though is very flexable on formats.

I want Oppo to make a HD-dvd player. I would buy that in a min.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a Panasonic 42Px60U with an A1 which replaced a Pioneer Elite 45A DVD player. The A1 looked better with SD DVDs. No upconversion with the 45A which might explain the PQ difference. With the A1 playing HD DVD, its an entire new ball game as far as watching flicks on the tele goes. Go for it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.