AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any screenshots of a HD football broadcast or know where i could find some.

Are cbs, abc, and espn actually framing their shots for 16x9 or are they still framing for 4x3 and you basically get the same shots with better picture quality.

i think the better pq is great but the ability to see more of the field is what excites me the most about hd.

I know hdnet frames everything for 16x9 but was not sure about the major networks.

thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Yes the broadcasts are protected for 4:3, which means that you really only get about 50% of the benefit of widescreen. From the scrimmage line, you get a bit more of the defense, but you also get some empty backfield behind the QB and RB as well, since the shot is still centered on the ball and QB.

Suboptimal widescreen is still better than no widescreen, though.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks jckessler

i was kind of afraid that was the case. well maybe the good news is that it curtails my excitement about going hd right now. knowing football games were in hd was killing me.

makes it a bit easier to wait knowing the game is still not framed for 16x9. like i said the better picture quality is nice but i am much more interested in the 16x9 aspect.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
The most annoying thing about the 4:3 framing is when they aren't even doing that right. Sometimes the line of scrimmage is on the far left (or right) of the screen and you see nothign but defensive linemen on one side and 15 yards of emptybackfield (instead of the normal 5 yards).

At least put the LOS in the center of the picture.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know it will never happen but i wish they would letterbox the 4x3 image so they can frame the shot for 16x9.

heck, this might even help push the 16x9 format. i cant imagine any sports fan getting upset with the black bars when you would be able to see all the players on the field. i always want to know what the secondary is doing.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cycy2
i cant imagine any sports fan getting upset with the black bars when you would be able to see all the players on the field. i always want to know what the secondary is doing.
Joe Sixpack won't think of that -- he will be pissed that the top and bottom of his screen are being unused. Hell, without those bars, he'd be able to see more picture top and bottom.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have a couple of decent pics of the LSU v UG game, but they are much larger than the size allowed on this forum (and too big to send via email). If anybody wants to host them, I'll post.

In case it matters, they are of an X1 with Samsung Sir-T151 (OTA) shooting a 72" image.

PM me if interested

·
Registered
454 Posts
It seems like someone should make a camera designed for both 4:3 and 16:9. It could have a floating 4:3 window that the cameraman could control, so he could frame the image for both broadcasts. It would require some learning and skill to use, though.

Lee

·
Registered
640 Posts
I think within a year ot two there's a good chance that sporting events will be letterboxed on 4:3 sets. When you take into account the large amount of overscan on most sets then the black bars really don't take up that much space.

jr

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
if they did that it might push more people to get HDTV sets to see the picture as it should be

·
Registered
673 Posts
I have been watching MNF in split screen - OTA HD / OTA SD for about 10 minutes so I can see the difference in real time (almost, about a 3 sec delay). You obviously get a much better/fuller view of what is going on in HD even in sideline close-ups and crowd shots. I do not know how much more of the field they can show you, in that at the snap they are showing the field WR to WR top to bottom of the screen and then try to zoom that shot to follow the action. if they zoom prior to the snap to center side to side they may end up not showing you the WR/s. I agree that they could try to center more, but that has to look even worse in SD. How can this be improved on? Just wondering what other think.

·
Registered
904 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Here's my split-screen, showing the same MNF shot with HD on the left, and regular cable on the right. Taken with my camcorder, in low light, so it's not a great example of the quality, but you DO see the difference in the shot coverage.

This was taken during commentary by Madden, so the shot was frozen on the screen, allowing me to get both sides looking the same (normally the cable box lags 1 sec behind the straight cable).

http://home.rochester.rr.com/tsoft/hdtv/hd-split1.jpg

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
I wish they wouldn't zoom in so much with even the 4:3 SD games. I would like to see some of the recievers sometimes. Whom ever wrote the guidelines for shooting football was an idiot. It seems so important that we need to see all the fat lineman 95% of the time and not watch the skill players at work.

·
Registered
557 Posts
You understand, I hope, that if one teams' fat linemen are outplaying the other teams' linemen there aren't enough "skill" players in the world to make a difference. Whether you agree with that or not how about this possibility. It seems to be no problem to send at least five SD signals over a single transport stream. With all those monster screens out there how about a receiver that could display each sub-channel in its own "thumbnail" with the viewer able to select which one is shown in a larger size? Better yet, to find a use for all those NTSC monitors that have a limited future consider this: Have an S-video output for each of those sub-channels to be shown on outboard monitors.

Of course, even if such a monster could be built the chances of a network transmitting such a signal has to be around the possibility of an earth-asteroid collision.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by drhill
Why the heck do they have every 5 yards labeled? Had to be different and not do every 10 yards instead.
My guess is because they have kept the stadium as it was initially intended to look with the exception of adding close to 50,000 seats.

Look at the goalposts are the old fashioned style also.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
For anyone interested, SportsnetHD in Canada has been presenting HD Blue Jay baseball games this month, and on their SD channel the games are letterboxed.

-Sp

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.