AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having some persistant problem with DVDX software recently and I have just felt that's enough. Now I am trying to take a route of a freeware such as DVD Shrink or so. I don't like to compress the original file. But I found out DVD Shrink is only capable of buring the original disk on another disk. Not on 2 disks. This is problesome because I have many original disks that can't fit on one blank disk without comptession. Does anyone know the solution for this? Thank you.

Michaelmorio

·
Registered
120 Posts
What you want is DVDFAB, I don't know if its free (I don't think it is) but it works effortlessly, and since it doesn't recode or transcode anything, its FAST... splits the disc in 2 burnable images in a couple of mins. Uses the layer split as the disc split (which is perfect). Retains the menu on both disc. If you select a scene or option where the actual content is on the other disc it tells you to put it in (nice)... you can make the second disc jump straight to the movie or play the menu first (which is nice too). Its a great piece of software and effortlessly does what (it sounds like) you want. BUT I DON'T KNOW ABOUT COST :(

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
It is possible to do it with DVD Shrink. When you go to reauthor you can use the "Start/End Frames" button to only burn what chapters you want.

peace

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMJEDI
It is possible to do it with DVD Shrink. When you go to reauthor you can use the "Start/End Frames" button to only burn what chapters you want.
Ditto. It can easily be done with Shrink. No sense in getting another program if the one you use will already do what you want.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I have used DVDFab with success. It can split the DVD at a chapter point, user selectable. For example a 7.1 GB movie, you want to split, can be divided into part 1 @ 2.8 GB and part 2 at 4.3 GB. You can then fill DVD #1 with 1.5 GB data you need backed up.

The program is very easy and intuitive to use.

I wasn't under the impression that DVD Shrink could easily split a DVD into 2 parts at a chapter point.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
"I wasn't under the impression that DVD Shrink could easily split a DVD into 2 parts at a chapter point."

Yep, in reauthor mode, you can have the first disc go to chapter 10 (for example) and the create your output. Once that's done go back in and start at chapter 10 and go to the end of the disc. I usually like to go back a few seconds on the second disc start point.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_M
"I wasn't under the impression that DVD Shrink could easily split a DVD into 2 parts at a chapter point."

Yep, in reauthor mode, you can have the first disc go to chapter 10 (for example) and the create your output. Once that's done go back in and start at chapter 10 and go to the end of the disc. I usually like to go back a few seconds on the second disc start point.
Is it possible to keep the menus using the reauthor mode?

I've been under the impression that reauthor mode can only make "movie only" disks, but perhaps I'm misinformed.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife
Is it possible to keep the menus using the reauthor mode?

I've been under the impression that reauthor mode can only make "movie only" disks, but perhaps I'm misinformed.
You can keep as much, or as little, as you wish. In reauthor mode, you can set the quality of each of the DVD's elements, including the start & stop points for each of the video files. Of course not everything in the menu will function if you only burn half the video, but the menu will be there.

I've done away with menus altogether when dealing with high capacity DVDs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.