AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone knows of any general service menu tutorials either on this forum or elsewhere on the web.....

I have a few "pincushion" issues on my Sanyo 30" (which is common apparently), but I simply don't know enough about these adjustments to make them properly.

I 've already reduced my brightness and contrast, but I think the only way to really fix it is through the service menu. Is there an order in which you should make adjustments? Middle first? Do you have to adjust other parts of the TV to fix this particular problem?

I'm just looking for a general primer that can tell me a bit more about it, and haven't found anything through searches I've done on this site. Of course, I know the reason it's a service menu is because it's supposed to be accessed be "service professionals", but I really can't afford that as an option. Any advice?

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamme
Just wondering if anyone knows of any general service menu tutorials either on this forum or elsewhere on the web.....

I have a few "pincushion" issues on my Sanyo 30" (which is common apparently), but I simply don't know enough about these adjustments to make them properly.

I 've already reduced my brightness and contrast, but I think the only way to really fix it is through the service menu. Is there an order in which you should make adjustments? Middle first? Do you have to adjust other parts of the TV to fix this particular problem?

I'm just looking for a general primer that can tell me a bit more about it, and haven't found anything through searches I've done on this site. Of course, I know the reason it's a service menu is because it's supposed to be accessed be "service professionals", but I really can't afford that as an option. Any advice?
Before making any changes in the SM, I strongly urge you to get a calibration dvd (e.g. Avia or DVE) and work that first. If you haven't already done that, I assure, the results will be remarkable. Trying to adjust user settings on your own, independently of one another only gives you minimal gains. Use this tool and then think about the SM.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have done a calibration with the THX optimizer that comes with the Star Wars DVD. I know it's not at the same level as Avia or DVE, but it didn't make as much of a difference as I had hoped. And I know these different optimizers are good for fixing contrast/ black level etc....but I don't think they really tackle pincushion isuues do they? Or are they all so inter conected that it might fix it?

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamme
I have done a calibration with the THX optimizer that comes with the Star Wars DVD. I know it's not at the same level as Avia or DVE, but it didn't make as much of a difference as I had hoped. And I know these different optimizers are good for fixing contrast/ black level etc....but I don't think they really tackle pincushion isuues do they? Or are they all so inter conected that it might fix it?
I believe you'll get much more mileage from one of the two calibration dvd's I mentioned earlier. However, as you're aware, the disc won't eliminate pincushion by itself. Both discs have patterns that can assist you while in the SM to adjust things like pincushion errors.

As for a guide to general SM adjustments, all I know about is the post started by KenTech on SMs for the Sony XS/XBR series' sets. I have not seen anything for Sanyo sets.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.