AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm ordering a 46" G10 Panny today at a pretty good price for my mom's bedroom unless someone has major objections that I'm not aware of.

I know of the floating black issue, the inability to stream Netflix, and the thin black line down the side. I don't think any of that will be an issue for her (she likes the NBA and Blu ray movies BTW). Am I missing something else or can I pull the trigger? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow /forum/post/19539535

I'm ordering a 46" G10 Panny today at a pretty good price for my mom's bedroom unless someone has major objections that I'm not aware of.

I know of the floating black issue, the inability to stream Netflix, and the thin black line down the side. I don't think any of that will be an issue for her (she likes the NBA and Blu ray movies BTW). Am I missing something else or can I pull the trigger? Thanks!

The G10 doesn't have the floating black issue - it has the rising black issue (two different issues). I love my 46G10, but the G25 is better and would be worth the additional hundred or so bucks for a 46" or even 50" G25 if you can stretch the budget a bit. The G25's blacks will rise like on the G10, but the black levels start out lower out of the box and will rise slower over the next year or so. The G25's AR Filter is much better too, and it has more picture adjustability.

·
Registered
12,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input!

Here's the dilemma though... she wanted to pay a max of $700 shipped for a set no larger than 46". I convinced her to bump up her $$$ limit to $850 and found that the G10 can be had for $870 shipped. I won't be able to convince her to get the G25.

So with that in mind, pull the trigger on the G10 or is the rising black issue a mega problem for enjoyment of the set by non-techies? I have no problem switching to another brand. And if the G10 will still be ok to get, is there a recommended way to have it sit flat on an open stand? The TV will be in a catercorner, so a wall mount won't work (plus she doesn't like drilling in her walls).

·
Registered
744 Posts
fire away

·
Registered
582 Posts
I would get the Panasonic tc-p42g25. I know 4 less inches but the PQ is much better with the G25 from what I've heard. The other option is go 50-inches with the S2 or U2. U2 has no Anti-Reflective Filter though but I here it has better PQ due to that if you can handle the reflections.

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow /forum/post/19539928

Thanks for the input! Here's the dilemma though... she wanted to pay a max of $700 shipped for a set no larger than 46". I convinced her to bump up her $$$ limit to $850 and found that the G10 can be had for $870 shipped. I won't be able to convince her to get the G25.

So with that in mind, pull the trigger on the G10 or is the rising black issue a mega problem for enjoyment of the set by non-techies? I have no problem switching to another brand.

I do see my blacks have risen, but it's really only noticeable when the large part of the screen is showing a very dark scene. The other 99% of the time it looks fantastic and black things like hair, suits, cars, etc look plenty black enough with good shadow detail. Colors are great. Everybody who sees my 46G10 are amazed at how good it looks - i'm sure your mom would love it. I'm still enjoying the heck out of mine. SD looks pretty good, and HD looks great.

Quote:
And if the G10 will still be ok to get, is there a recommended way to have it sit flat on an open stand? The TV will be in a catercorner, so a wall mount won't work (plus she doesn't like drilling in her walls).

It's very stable on the supplied pedestal stand. It's much harder to topple over than a standard tube TV is (i've checked this myself, and have demonstrated it to people who were afraid their kids would pull the TV over on top of them.)

·
Registered
21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow /forum/post/19539535

I would not pull the trigger on the G10 unless you want to replace it in a year and a half. The diminishing blacks goes beyond the blacks looking gray. The overall picture quality goes from being beautiful and rich looking to dull and washed out looking. I first started noticing the picture quality diminishing while watching cable after I owned my G10 for about a year. Eventually, I started noticing blu-ray's looking aweful. You know there's a problem when blu-ray's don't look good. I just bought a Pioneer Elite 101 and am in heaven!!

I think it's intersting that I first started getting concerned about the picture right after the warranty was up. Don't give this company another penny-shame on them for this bait and switch tactic.

·
Registered
12,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^^^ $3,500 at Amazon is a tad out of her price range for that set.

Thanks Randy. She just came by so I'll have her order it today!

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypete /forum/post/19542020

I would not pull the trigger on the G10 unless you want to replace it in a year and a half. The diminishing blacks goes beyond the blacks looking gray.

There must be something wrong with your set. My 46G10 is one and a half years old with about 4,000 hours on it, and my blacks are nowhere near looking gray.

Quote:
The overall picture quality goes from being beautiful and rich looking to dull and washed out looking. I first started noticing the picture quality diminishing while watching cable after I owned my G10 for about a year.

Mine doesn't look dull or washed out at all. It's still rich and vibrant and looks great. Aside from the occasional less-than-inky-blacks in some scenes or content this TV looks fantastic.

Quote:
Eventually, I started noticing blu-ray's looking awful. You know there's a problem when blu-ray's don't look good.

It does sound like there's something wrong with your set or your settings. Unless not quite perfect means awful to you.

Quote:
I just bought a Pioneer Elite 101 and am in heaven!!

Nearly a reference quality display. Congrats?

Quote:
I think it's interesting that I first started getting concerned about the picture right after the warranty was up.

You should have seen the first rise within a few months, not after a year.

Quote:
Don't give this company another penny-shame on them for this bait and switch tactic.

They didn't bait-and-switch, they just screwed up the algorithm. They have nothing to gain by intentionally sabotaging their historically great black levels and ruining their reputation. Read up on the real cause of this rise on the 2009s, they certainly didn't intend for this to happen to the extent that it did.

·
Banned
992 Posts
Panasonic TC-P46C2 on sale at BB in your price range this thanksgiving.

Actually there's a couple plasmas on sale for thanksgiving that fit your requirements.

I wouldn't worry about them being 720p at 46 inches or smaller.

·
Registered
12,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You have a point, except she sits on the edge of the bed sometimes, which is a few feet from where the set will be. I'll explain how 720P looks no different from 1080P at this size and see what she says.

Outside of the 720P issue, is the picture quality of the C2 as good as the G10?

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow /forum/post/19545510

You have a point, except she sits on the edge of the bed sometimes, which is a few feet from where the set will be. I'll explain how 720P looks no different from 1080P at this size and see what she says.

But 720p does look different than 1080p regardless of screen size. It's more about distance and visual acuity than screen size. And the 1080p sets have better processing, better colors, better black levels, no jaggies, no stair-stepping, no SDE, and an overall smoother and more natural image. I can tell the difference between a 42" 720p set and 1080p set at as much as 10 feet away. I know because i have one of each and have tested the distances many times. Most people could see a difference on a 42" set at 6-8 feet.

Quote:
Outside of the 720P issue, is the picture quality of the C2 as good as the G10?

Nowhere near as good. The C2 uses their lowest end 768p panel and doesn't look very good compared to the various 1080p models. My G10 looks WAY better than any of their 768p sets. There's no comparison between a low-end 768p panel and a high-end 1080p panel, even if it's last year's.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts