AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a 23" or 24" computer monitor for a cheapo price. Right now, the best contender I've found is this Dell:

Dell S2309W

Dell is selling it for $164 right now, but alot of people have been able to get it for $149.99 on a special deal. Unfortunately, that deal is now dead. I've also seen a particular 23" Acer for $169.99, but I did some more research on that monitor, and it seems best to totally avoid it from the reviews I read about it. The Dell S2309W has pretty decent reviews.

Anything else I should be considering? I'm trying to stay under $180 out the door, which is pretty difficult, because in California we have the California E-Waste fee tax that we have to pay. The fee is $16 for monitors bigger than 15" but smaller than 35". So, besides the price of the monitor, there is also this E-Waste fee, and then of course Sales tax. Awhile back I bought a monitor from Amazon.com, and they actually paid the CA E-Waste Fee, which was pretty cool. I also got free shipping and no sales tax.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I would check eBay on a regular basis, as I have bought a few Dell monitors off there for great prices. I would also look at used monitors, my two Apple 20" Cinema Displays were purchased on eBay used for half of the new price. They were both perfect, no dead pixels and not a scratch or scuff on either of them. And they are still going strong 3 years later.

Mike

·
Banned
7,766 Posts
I've had the Dell S2409W for a couple of months now, and would have no hesitations about recommending it, or it's little brother the S2309W. The thing was a great deal at $250, and is still a great deal for the $220 they ask for it these days.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm bumping this hoping that maybe if anybody sees any Black Friday deals on computer monitors they can post a heads up. There are lots of 16:9 23 inch and 24 inch 1080p LCD monitors right now. Usually, the prices are the 189.99 to $279.99 range, depending on the model, but occasionally I see some out there on sale for $149.99 or so, but it's usually the more lackluster brands. Hopefully with Black Friday, we might see some really good deals on some higher end monitors for a nice low price...

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I was looking too and was thinking about the ASUS mentioned before. It was $189 a couple of weeks ago and right now it's $199 with a $10 rebate in Amazon. Look for the VH242H, it has good reviews in general.

But this weekend Fry's had a sale in a Viewsonic model, and I like that brand in general for monitors, so I did a bit of research and found out that it was a good monitor, kinda going out right now, but really good specs, and same price $189. It's the VX2433WM, really good reviews in Amazon and Newegg.

And yeah, it hurts to pay the $16 recycle fee. I ended up paying $220 including taxes and fees.

And oh yeah, avoid the Acer monitors, in my research I found a lot of complains on them. I was going to buy one from Costco, because of the great return policy, but after reading all the reviews just had to avoid it.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Best deal I've seen is at Fry's for the 23 inch ViewSonic. I don't know the model # offhand, but it's $189.99, then $30 instant rebate, then a mail in rebate that takes it down to $119.99. It's a 23 inch 1080p viewsonic. I just can't deal with Fry's on a Black Friday though, so I won't be getting this.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I like my Asus 24 inch, I had it for about a year with no dead pixels or other issues and newegg usually has it on sale or there are rebates available.

This is the same as the one I have w/o the built in web cam:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824236066

1 - 11 of 11 Posts