AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am getting ready to finish a surround sound system for my desktop computer and the amplifier is the last piece to get. So far I have the following:
  • 1 x ASUS Xonar Essence ST w/ Xonar H6 7.1 Analog Output Card
  • 2 x Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000 (Fronts)
  • 2 x Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800 (Rears)
  • 1 x Definitive Technology ProCenter 1000
  • 1 x Definitive Technology SuperCube 2000
  • 1 x Definitive Technology ProMount 90 (Pair) for ProMonitor 1000's
  • 1 x Definitive Technology ProStand 600/800 (Pair) for ProMonitor 800's
  • 100FT of Monoprice 18AWG Speaker Wire
  • 5 x Monoprice RG6 RCA Digital Coax Cables
  • 10 x Monoprice Gold Banana Jack Terminals (Pair)

I have slowly been putting this system together for a while now and just have an amplifier left to complete it. And yes I know the ProCenter 2000 is a better match with the ProMonitor 1000's, but it will not fit under my monitor which is mounted on the wall and not getting moved. I was pretty sure I was going to go with the Emotiva UPA-500 ( LINK ) as it can be bought refurbed with full standard warranty for around $270, or brand new for $400.

But before I pull the trigger on the UPA-500 I wanted to ask if there were any other suggestions for something cheaper. I honestly haven't looked around much for 5 channel separate amps before and the only "inexpensive" one I knew about was the Emotiva UPA-500. Since this is after all a computer surround system I started thinking maybe I really dont need something as hefty as the UPA-500 with 80W RMS in each channel. Especially being as efficient of speakers as Def Techs are. Are there any other options out there with say at least 50W RMS that are cheaper and would work well in my setup?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay... So I guess the Emotiva UPA-500 is the right and only way to go then.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts