AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriuslyCold /forum/post/16968792

may I ask why you want to do this?

Haha. maybe he wants to conserve hard disk space (and actually tag the files)?
Seems logical to me.

Anyway, to the OP - yeah - I recommend FLAC frontend as well. or eac3to, if you don't mind command prompt.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchglen /forum/post/16969167

Haha. maybe he wants to conserve hard disk space (and actually tag the files)?
Seems logical to me.

no, he wants to convert flac to wav... not wav to FLAC

you can't tag wavs and they take up more space

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Perhaps he wants to make CDs for a player (say, in a car) that doesn't read FLAC files. My CD player in my car plays fine but it does not play back anything other than wav files burned to CD-R or commercial CDs. So I could understand the desire (if my situation is similar to his). In fact, I still use several players that are like the one in my car so I simply store everything in wav and just add storage space as needed. I don't need to think about converting anything when I make CD-Rs for road trips and such.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I don't think car CD players will play a disc full of WAV files either

With the correct plug-in , Nero will burn audio CDs from FLACs - I suspect other CD burning programs will do likewise

·
Registered
16,932 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriuslyCold /forum/post/16970037

Well, not if they are burned as data but if you burn them like most people would, as an audio CD, it's fine.

·
Registered
16,932 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriuslyCold /forum/post/16968792

may I ask why you want to do this?

There are all sorts of reasons to do this. That he downloaded something as FLAC and now wants to burn a CD would be an obvious reason.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriuslyCold /forum/post/16970037

With the correct plug-in , Nero will burn audio CDs from FLACs - I suspect other CD burning programs will do likewise

Nero is not free, as I recall (and the OP is looking for a free software, if one is available). The WAV files get properly converted when I burn an audio CD (it's a one step process since I've been doing it--1999). Whenever I've wanted to make an audio CD with other file formats, I've always had to convert them to WAV first.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovation /forum/post/16970730

Nero is not free, as I recall (and the OP is looking for a free software, if one is available).

he is looking for free software to convert flac to wav, not burn CDs - if i read the original question correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovation /forum/post/16970730

Whenever I've wanted to make an audio CD with other file formats, I've always had to convert them to WAV first.

perhaps you should try the plugin, too, if you use Nero

·
Registered
3,656 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriuslyCold /forum/post/16971024

he is looking for free software to convert flac to wav, not burn CDs - if i read the original question correctly.

I presumed, perhaps incorrectly, that he wanted to burn CDs as I cannot think of another reason to make the conversion--though I'm sure there are several.

Quote:
perhaps you should try the plugin, too, if you use Nero

I don't. I use iTunes. Once storage space became so cheap, I stopped making mp3 files and simply loaded the music in WAV form--it's simple in each direction and it is lossless. I should note that I don't use my computer to store anywhere near all my music, nor do I use it for much playback. I use it primarily to make CD mixes for the car. I do not own an iPod or other similar device and only ever listen to "portable music" when I travel abroad to kill time at airports and train stations. For that, I have my trusty (if archaic) Mini-Disc home recorder and portable player that each work very well.

(I also still use my VCR--I'm a Luddite
).

·
Registered
2,758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovation /forum/post/16973863

I presumed, perhaps incorrectly, that he wanted to burn CDs as I cannot think of another reason to make the conversion--though I'm sure there are several.

I couldn't think of any other either, which is why I asked

What I wanna know now is where the heck is the OP... did we scare him off

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiman /forum/post/16974455

The thing i'm looking to do is burn wav files on a DVD-R. Is there a simple way with nero to do this ? i,ve tried appolo but you have to pay for it after 5 discs.
http://dvd-audio.sourceforge.net/

not as easy to use however

·
Registered
16,932 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiman /forum/post/16974455

The thing i'm looking to do is burn wav files on a DVD-R. Is there a simple way with nero to do this ? i,ve tried appolo but you have to pay for it after 5 discs.

Yeah, there is no easy way to make a music DVD full of wavs that will play as a video DVD. Because of the structure of a DVD, it is not so simple. There are a couple of other proggies like Apollo but they are demos, too.

·
Registered
22,495 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim /forum/post/16975768

Yeah, there is no easy way to make a music DVD full of wavs that will play as a video DVD. Because of the structure of a DVD, it is not so simple. There are a couple of other proggies like Apollo but they are demos, too.

Actually, most any DVD-Video authoring program will let you do this as a sort of a slide show. You can use any images you like for the still-image video. Audio can usually be 24/96 2 ch PCM, but 16/48 is also supported. I'm not sure about 16/44, but authoring programs will usually accept anything and re-sample as needed.

·
Registered
16,932 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes /forum/post/16976486

Actually, most any DVD-Video authoring program will let you do this as a sort of a slide show. You can use any images you like for the still-image video. Audio can usually be 24/96 2 ch PCM, but 16/48 is also supported. I'm not sure about 16/44, but authoring programs will usually accept anything and re-sample as needed.

Yeah, I was going to make 96/24 DADs from the stereo tracks on my DVD-As but all the free/shareware I tried downsampled. I'm sure there is something that will do it, especially if I paid for it.

I don't know what these programs might do with 44/16. But if they upsampled to 48/16 it wouldn't really be an issue. And if they won't accept 44/16 you could always upsample them yourself.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim /forum/post/16976746

Yeah, I was going to make 96/24 DADs from the stereo tracks on my DVD-As but all the free/shareware I tried downsampled. I'm sure there is something that will do it, especially if I paid for it.

I don't know what these programs might do with 44/16. But if they upsampled to 48/16 it wouldn't really be an issue. And if they won't accept 44/16 you could always upsample them yourself.

Well, i've got tired of searching and purchased the HD audio solo ultra software.

It will burn a dvd-a from flac files directly, and one can upsamples any source up to 5.1 24/96.

Worked great with the 2L flac demos.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.